Page 1 of 2
Most modern Metal bands use some form of down-tuned guitars, and my question to UG is, "Is down-tuning essential to being in a Metal band?"

I look at Metallica, and their best albums are in standard tuning, but then I look at Slipknot, and they are all the way down in Drop-B.

I find down-tuning fun, but on the Floyd-Rose Trem system, it can be a big pain in the A**!
Andreas Kisser of Sepultura - "You don't have to tune low to be heavy"

there's no requirement to downtune to play metal, it's just a form of experimentation, or to make things more comfortable, as in the case of Tony Iommi.
Quote by guitarguru1393
Most modern Metal bands use some form of down-tuned guitars, and my question to UG is, "Is down-tuning essential to being in a Metal band?"

I look at Metallica, and their best albums are in standard tuning!

you already know the awnser.
Hardly, most of the best metal bands (in my eyes, so basically more classic metal bands), use standard, or if they drop tune, just down to D. But yeah, definatly not required. Also you started out with "Most MODERN metal", most modern metal fails... Sept for Machine Head, they're one of the exceptions for me when it comes to uber dropped tuning.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
Hardly, most of the best metal bands (in my eyes, so basically more classic metal bands), use standard, or if they drop tune, just down to D. But yeah, definatly not required. Also you started out with "Most MODERN metal", most modern metal fails... Sept for the book-end albums of Machine Head, they're one of the exceptions for me when it comes to uber dropped tuning.

fixed.

but yeah, good answers all.
It's really a matter of preference.

I think it's more up to your tone and style to be heavy. Dethklok plays in Drop C and they don't sound very heavy to me. But, Gojira plays in Drop D and they're heavy enough to crush small children(if you have a sub woofer).
Quote by MS_Mosher

I think it's more up to your tone and style to be heavy. Dethklok plays in Drop C and they don't sound very heavy to me. But, Gojira plays in Drop D and they're heavy enough to crush small children(if you have a sub woofer).

Dethklok plays in C standard, not Drop C.

Usually, its for the vocalist's benefit, whichever register they sing best.
Quote by guitarguru1393
I find down-tuning fun, but on the Floyd-Rose Trem system, it can be a big pain in the A**!

you're a pain in the fuckin ass
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Low tuning is used as a tool. You either use it or you don't. /thread

Summed up better than these dweebs.
"lol yeah metallica, woo, e standard yeahhh"
Most of my favorite albums are in standard or just a 1/2 step down.. Drop tuning seems to be more of a trend these days. Also it seems that bands do this to give them a heavier sound.

I prefer to play in a 1/2 step down..
The most talented man on earth...
"I look at Metallica, and their best albums are in standard tuning"

um..no st.anger was in drop c i believe.
Quote by MS_Mosher

I agree, but Gojira are D standard
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
let me rephrase, you nitpicking cunt

D Standard on first 2 albums. D Standard/dropC on last 2
Quote by -Collapse-
Quote by CodySG

Who got sand in your vagina poopsmith? You were implying that Gojira always play in D standard :P
in my opinion, it's stupid, considering most guitarists don't even know the notes in standard tuning beyond the open strings, they have no right to change it
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Who got sand in your vagina poopsmith? You were implying that Gojira always play in D standard :P

sorry, I'm pissed off right now.

long story, but short version is that following a gross scheduling error at my place of work, I thought I was supposed to work at 7 am, so i get up at the crak of dawn and go in, and they neglect to tell me that I'm not supposed to work until 2:30, and continue to do so for 2 hours until 9, at which point they tell me to go home and come back at 2:30 and work till 10.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Quote by -Collapse-
Quote by CodySG

I'm exclusively use DGCFAD when writing my own stuff, but I've got another guitar to tune wildly whenever I want to cover a song in a different tuning.
I keep my guitar in standard, because most stuff I play is in standard, but occasionally I'll tune to whatever, usually d standard/drop c
Quote by -Collapse-
Quote by CodySG

I don't think drop tuning is necessary. Just find a tuning that you like and make it work. There are heavy metal bands that use all sorts of tunings. They just find a tuning that suited them and they made it work.
Quote by patbuck2
I don't think drop tuning is necessary.

e|-------------------|
B|-------------------|
G|-------------------|
D|-0-0-7-0-7-5-0-7-5-|
A|-0-0-7-0-7-5-0-7-5-|
D|-0-0-7-0-7-5-0-7-5-|

D|-------------------|
A|-------------------|
F|-------------------|
C|-2-2-9-2-9-7-2-9-7-|
G|-2-2-9-2-9-7-2-9-7-|
D|-0-0-7-0-7-5-0-7-5-|

You're saying it's just as easy to play that in standard tuning as it is in drop tuning?

e|--------------------|
B|--------------------|
G|-7-----------------|
D|-8-----------------|
A|-5-----------------|
D|-5-----------------|

D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
F|-9-------------------|
C|-10-----------------|
G|-7-------------------|
D|-5-------------------|

We use that top chord and similar shapes in our music. That's a proper use of drop tuning.
Quote by Magero

e|--------------------|
B|--------------------|
G|-7-----------------|
D|-8-----------------|
A|-5-----------------|
D|-5-----------------|

D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
F|-9-------------------|
C|-10-----------------|
G|-7-------------------|
D|-5-------------------|

We use that top chord and similar shapes in our music. That's a proper use of drop tuning.

D|---------------------|
A|-5-------------------|
F|-5-------------------|
C|-X-------------------|
G|-7-------------------|
D|-5-------------------|

imo
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang

D|---------------------|
A|-5-------------------|
F|-5-------------------|
C|-X-------------------|
G|-7-------------------|
D|-5-------------------|

imo

Pass.
Unnecessary.
Bonus points for logic.
Hmm.....just use whatever tuning you want really. D Standard has always been better than anything else in my ears, so I keep my guitars tuned to D Standard. No big deal.
a loot of bands I like tune to D Standard.
Quote by -Collapse-
Quote by CodySG

mastodon usually uses d standard. occasionally they do this thing where all the strings are in d standard but the low e string is in A so they can play octaces on the sixth string using power chord frettings
Yeah, on uh............I forgot the cd hahaha.

Oh yeah, Remission.

Yeah Poopsmith, when I was into Death a lot I figured out they used D Standard.....and now I do lol. Lots o' good bands use teh D Standard.
I like D Standard bestest, or Drop C for drop tuning.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
7 strings. My standard tuning is lower than yours.

And lol @ all the idiots bashing drop tunings.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by randyaintdead82
mastodon usually uses d standard. occasionally they do this thing where all the strings are in d standard but the low e string is in A so they can play octaces on the sixth string using power chord frettings

Cheaters!
Quote by The Kreator
Cheaters!

There's a Strapping Young Lad song with the tuning AAAEAE or something like that.
Quote by Magero
Yeah, the song is called "AAA"
He wrote an entire album in it as well.

Which album?
Page 1 of 2