Page 1 of 2
From http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

Dec 20th 1999, readers of UK Guitar magazine voted Noel Gallagher the most overrated guitarist of the millennium. Jimi Hendrix was voted guitarist of the millennium with Nirvana's 'Nevermind' winning best album.

Who would you say is the most overrated guitarist?
Quote by Colgate Total
I would've voted for Bellamy as the most overrated.

He's not a great guitarist, but he's a fantastic pianist, and an amazing musician overall. I wouldn't say he's overrated, except for his guitar skills maybe. But Noel Gallagher just sums up the definition of "overrated".
in my opinion whoever plays guitar for the Jonas Brothers is overrated...I mean...you can't underrate that guy!

or Lil Wayne.

my pick for best guitarist is Mikael Akerfeldt
my pick for best album is......Megadeth: Rust In Peace
Quote by ZeGuitarist
He's not a great guitarist, but he's a fantastic pianist, and an amazing musician overall. I wouldn't say he's overrated, except for his guitar skills maybe. But Noel Gallagher just sums up the definition of "overrated".

Really? I'm yet to hear him do anything really impressive on piano.

Edit: moody git, I think Slash is overrated by some, but then underrated by others. He is alot better technically than some people give him credit for.

And Emppu.. Coming from a Nightwish fanboy... he isn't really involved with writing the music, I don't think he is underrated. There are alot of guitarists more underrated than him.
Last edited by Regression at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by ZeGuitarist

Sounds impressive. I'll have to give the sheet music a look. Like with the Butterflies And Hurricanes piano solo part, it's alot easier than it sounds.

However, this genuinely sounds like it would be quite hard to play.
Quote by Regression

And Emppu.. Coming from a Nightwish fanboy... he isn't really involved with writing the music, I don't think he is underrated. There are alot of guitarists more underrated than him.

he has co-writen many songs, eg. the siren, for the heart i once had. but i do agree with you, he may not be the most under rated, but i never hear anything about him
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Matt Bellamy over-rated? I'd like to see some people from UG play as complex stuff as him whilst singing freaking hard vocal lines. e.g try playing the riff to plug in baby while doing the insane falsetto work after each chorus. Alone neither are too hard but at the same time it takes talent and a sh*tload of concentration. Not to mention doing tapping solos while working a whammy pedal and singing at the same time as well.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Yeah I understand what you mean moody git.

And Druz, just to clear it up, I don't think Bellamy is overrated as a musician. Maybe as a pianist, I'm not to sure, but as a musician overall, definately not. A few people do go a bit to far and call him a genious etc. but apart from that I wouldn't say overrated.

I will probably get flamed for this but the guitarist for Lostprophets is quite underrated I think.
Quote by Colgate Total

STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Colgate Total

if youve seen him live i dont think you d say that :P

i think that herman li is overrated
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Regression
I will probably get flamed for this but the guitarist for Lost Prophets is quite underrated I think.

I agree.

Over-rated, I'd have to agree with it. But then I just really dislike Oasis. (Though I do like one song)
enough about Matt Bellamy.

I think Kurt Cobain is very underrated as a visual artist, if you take a look into his collages/paintings such as Incesticide, or the back cover of In Utero, made from dolls of foetuses...
and that's just the tip of the whole sea of icebergs.
Quote by rancidryan
if youve seen him live i dont think you d say that :P

i think that herman li is overrated

I've seen Muse live twice and was left slightly disappointed.

They are an amazing band live yes, but for me it's just missing something. And I'm not the only person who has thought that aswell.

And Herman Li is probably underrated aswell.. Some people talk about him like he wouldn't know the first thing about guitar. But then there are people who think he is a god of sorts.
Quote by Regression

They are an amazing band live yes, but for me it's just missing something. And I'm not the only person who has thought that aswell.

And Herman Li is probably underrated aswell.. Some people talk about him like he wouldn't know the first thing about guitar. But then there are people who think he is a god of sorts.

The problem with both Bellamy and Li is that they have lovers and they have haters, and not much "in between" fans.

Herman Li more so than Bellamy: his fans think he's god, others say he's crap, there's not actually many people who appreciate what he CAN do (although, lots of his "talent" is faked in the studio, we can't deny it...)

Same goes for Bellamy: his fans praise him as a "genius", while others say he's way overrated. The difference between the "lovers" and the "haters" isn't as big as with Li, though, there's plenty of people who just appreciate Bellamy for his talent, like I do.

Quote by Colgate Total

- User title: IRL troll
- Sig: Big Bang theory is bullshit, God exists...
- Says Bellamy is overrated, arguments including middle fingers

Yeah. I've never seen Li playing sober mind you.

I havn't seen many people who hate Bellamy though. Just the odd one or two. He has more fanboys than haters I'd say.
Quote by Regression
Yeah. I've never seen Li playing sober mind you.

I havn't seen many people who hate Bellamy though. Just the odd one or two. He has more fanboys than haters I'd say.

Like I said, it's indeed a lot worse for Bells than for Li. Bellamy has quite a lot of obsessive worshippers, but more "genuine" fans, and a few haters. Not Li though
i dont know who noel gallegar is, so he cant be that overrated. i would vote van halen as most overrated guitarist ever. it has to be someone with a super inflated reputation.

arent there dozens of these threads floating around?
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by theseedyoldguy
OMG BILLIE JOE IZ TEH MOST BR00TALZ GUITARIST EVA!!!!!11!

bahahahaha f***ing idiots

Oh wait. He's serious.
Quote by Regression

I saw them live (going in biased against Bellamy) and I came out impressed.
I think Li is talented but the thing is this.
-The stuff he does is sped up a bit in studio, not a whole lot but a slight noticible difference live
-He does a LOT of tapping, which is why he sounds so fast.

He's great, he isn't bad but he isn't AMAZING OMG!!!!

Ew, Nevermind as the best album? That thing ****ing killed real rock n roll....
Quote by true_bacon22
I saw them live (going in biased against Bellamy) and I came out impressed.
I think Li is talented but the thing is this.
-The stuff he does is sped up a bit in studio, not a whole lot but a slight noticible difference live
-He does a LOT of tapping, which is why he sounds so fast.

He's great, he isn't bad but he isn't AMAZING OMG!!!!

Ew, Nevermind as the best album? That thing ****ing killed real rock n roll....

it did have lots of good songs though........
Quote by Zugunruhe
i dont know who noel gallegar is, so he cant be that overrated. i would vote van halen as most overrated guitarist ever. it has to be someone with a super inflated reputation.

arent there dozens of these threads floating around?

He is from Oasis. Is he the one who is really up himself?
Quote by Regression
He is from Oasis. Is he the one who is really up himself?

Both of the Gallaghers are. And it would be slightly ok if they even made some good music, but noooooooo..
Quote by ZeGuitarist
Both of the Gallaghers are. And it would be slightly ok if they even made some good music, but noooooooo..

They've written a few good songs. I don't understand how they could compare their fame to the Stones though.
^ That's what I meant. And those few good songs date from before they started acting like pricks.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
^ That's what I meant. And those few good songs date from before they started acting like pricks.

Hmm, I dunno. When did The Importance of Being Idle come out?
not noel he's ****ing great!

definitely that dude from the jonas brothers
Hack up her body, put it in plastic bags, and dump it in the woods. This will get you a laugh 9 times out of 10.

So, how are your iPods and your games, and your $200 jeans this Christmas. I got a ceramic horse.

Exo M6

OWNED
Quote by Regression
Hmm, I dunno. When did The Importance of Being Idle come out?

That was an ok song, not great. It was on Don't Believe The Truth, 2004 or something I think. I miss really great songs like Don't Look Back In Anger or something...

To guy above me: lolwut?
i reckon Dave Mustaine is pretty overrated....

i mean...just cause he wrote Master Of Puppets doesn't make him a good guitarist!
Quote by ZeGuitarist
The problem with both Bellamy and Li is that they have lovers and they have haters, and not much "in between" fans.

Herman Li more so than Bellamy: his fans think he's god, others say he's crap, there's not actually many people who appreciate what he CAN do (although, lots of his "talent" is faked in the studio, we can't deny it...)

Same goes for Bellamy: his fans praise him as a "genius", while others say he's way overrated. The difference between the "lovers" and the "haters" isn't as big as with Li, though, there's plenty of people who just appreciate Bellamy for his talent, like I do.

- User title: IRL troll
- Sig: Big Bang theory is bullshit, God exists...
- Says Bellamy is overrated, arguments including middle fingers

I agree, he isn't the best technical guitarist, pianist or singer to ever set foot on the earth, but he doesn't claim to be either. He just happens to quite good at doing the things creatively together.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
That was an ok song, not great. It was on Don't Believe The Truth, 2004 or something I think. I miss really great songs like Don't Look Back In Anger or something...

To guy above me: lolwut?

Don't really know much about Oasis personally. In the end it's nothing special so I dunno.

And is it just me or are all the Dec 08'ers trolling?

I've seen Mustaine butcher a solo in Cemetary Gates. (cover with DT, he was a guest) Havn't really seen anything live of him apart from that. And I don't believe he wrote Master Of Puppets?
Quote by Clownocaster#1
it did have lots of good songs though........

yeah, the music wasn't bad. It just had a bad influence.

Quote by Clownocaster#1
i reckon Dave Mustaine is pretty overrated....

i mean...just cause he wrote Master Of Puppets doesn't make him a good guitarist!

...Are you joking?
Quote by true_bacon22
yeah, the music wasn't bad. It just had a bad influence.

you mean his depression or noise rock bands like The Pixies that influenced him?

edit: and ^ why would i joke about something like that? It's a well-revered album, by all means, but writing it doesn't make him as great as some people make him out to be.......
Quote by ZeGuitarist

Oh wait. He's serious.

lol not serious he dosent even play his lines live
Quote by Clownocaster#1
you mean his depression or noise rock bands like The Pixies that influenced him?

The mass influence he(they) spread with Nervermind. I won't say he is solely responsible for Alt rock killing real rock, but it was a corner stone.

And Dave Mustaine had nothing to do with Master of Puppets...or 70% of RTL for that matter.
Page 1 of 2