Poll: Amp's tube overdrive or OD pedal on clean?
Poll Options
View poll results: Amp's tube overdrive or OD pedal on clean?
Use the amp's gain
16 59%
Overdrive on clean
11 41%
Voters: 27.
What do you recommend? I was watching an Andy Timmons video where he said his main tone is achieved using a Tube Driver with the clean channel of his Stiletto. I wondered what is the most common usage? I cranked my Genz Benz Black Pearl at rehearsals the other day and didn't need my BB+ but then wondered if I would be able to use the amp's boost function to actually boost the volume rather than the gain which could be handled by the BB+? Or is that just going to increase the gain not the volume?
Will just increase the gain most probably, but you can try.. if the boost will work on a clean setting.

Whether you use the overdrive on the amp or on a pedal is really up to you, and depending on the quality of the amp and the tone it produces. i used to get all my effects from my digitech rp80 because i only had a 10 watt practice amp, but now i had a Randall RG40R and i like the sound of the overdrive on it, so i no longer use my pedal.

It's really completely up to you, which sound you prefer.
Try both. The overdrive on my amp is totally crap, so I use a pedal through the clean, and I'm getting a pretty cool sound out of it.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Why not play the overdrive pedal while on the gain channel?

I did use the OD while at full gain actually, it sounded good, just more gain not extra volume unfortunately but I expected that. Just wondered why some people use OD on a clean channel.
Different types of gains for different folks. OD with its gain turned up on a clean amp gives that diode solid state type gain, that one might like, or with the OD volume turned up using amps gain is a good way to boost the amps distortion, giving it more edge. The ladder sound more natural imo, but its not always what someone is after
It's a matter of opinion. I personally use moderate overdrive from the amp so it's almost a clean sound, combined with a boosted output and a touch of gain from the pedal, so the valves in the amp react differently to the signal it's driving.. i don't know how to explain it, but it's like the best of both worlds. the Boss DS-2/Marshall JH-1/EHX Big Muff Pi tone demos on my profile should give you an example of the sort of sound this setup produces.

But overdrive on the clean channel gives a completely different tone - it seems kinda silly investing in a tube amp just to do that, though, since an Ibanez TS9 into a marshall MG sounds good enough for that kind of setup. Maybe andy timmons cranks his clean channel and then boosts it with the pedal so it kinda pushes it between compressed clean and natural overdrive with a touch of pedal gain?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Dec 21, 2008,
Well I used to use my amp's od. But now instead I use the clean channel, loud (so the sound is slightly oushed) and them my OCD for my overdrive, gigving a very rich and nice sound.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
the reason why some people might want to overdrive their clean channel with a pedal may be because their amps overdrive isn't strong enough, like in my case, or for the ease of having to just step on a pedal to get the sound, although you could always use a footswitch so thats not a good point really. also, depending on the amp, a good quality pedaly can really bring out a great tone in the amp. I usually set the gain on my amps clean to 4-5 and then hit it with a pedal at full distortion, and the amp at like 3 (bloody loud). Thunderous Doom tone \m/. I would be very interested to see how a top quality clean amp with a boss metal zone or ehx metal muff would go up against a crazy high gain amp. then i would no which amp to buy
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
Completely depends on what you play, for example

If you play blues and want some gain

Clean > OD

If you play metal and wanna push your distortion from the solo's

Distortion > OD = More gain
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Blompcube
It's a matter of opinion. I personally use moderate overdrive from the amp so it's almost a clean sound, combined with a boosted output and a touch of gain from the pedal, so the valves in the amp react differently to the signal it's driving.. i don't know how to explain it, but it's like the best of both worlds. the Boss DS-2/Marshall JH-1/EHX Big Muff Pi tone demos on my profile should give you an example of the sort of sound this setup produces.

This is what I do.

Drive channel, pre-amp low-ish, use OD. Get a combination of sounds.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Depends on what models you use. As much as I love turning up the preamps on my BJ and overdriving it for that blues sound, I've found that you can just as easily hit the preamp with the boost from my Box of Rock and generate a very similar sound without as much of the buzz from having the preamp consistently cranked up. Of course, if the Box of Rock was, say, a SD-1 I'd say just crank up the amp.
Fender Telecaster Deluxe MZ7006924
Crybaby 535Q
BOSS SD-1
ZVex Box of Rock
MXR 10-Band EQ
Ernie Ball VR Jr.
EHX The Clone Theory
Line6 ToneCore Echo Park
Fender Blues Jr.

Don't be sad, I know you will.
Quote by Blompcube

But overdrive on the clean channel gives a completely different tone - it seems kinda silly investing in a tube amp just to do that, though, since an Ibanez TS9 into a marshall MG sounds good enough for that kind of setup. Maybe andy timmons cranks his clean channel and then boosts it with the pedal so it kinda pushes it between compressed clean and natural overdrive with a touch of pedal gain?

I wouldn't say it's silly, different ODs sound different through different amps. That being said a lot of people also use non-master volume amps, my amp will not really give me any overdrive without making me deaf. So... thats when the OD pedal comes in. Diode clipping is not really that bad, there are many good OD pedals that are very dynamic and sound very good. The Zvex Box of Rock does a better JTM45 impression than any tube driven pedal I've ever heard.
Well the thing is my BB+ sounds pretty average when the tubes aren't being pushed on my new amp, but sounded good at any volume on my old Vox AD50VT. My amp set to 2 tubes and triode mode with the master down gets an ok sound but nothing like when the amp is cranked obviously. When I tried clean with the BB+ gain cranked it just sounded mushy?