Page 1 of 2
Ok so ive really wanted a dog but im not sure whether ill be able to take care of one. Can someone please tell me what exactly u have to do to to take care of a dog and can u please recommend a breed that wud be good as my first dog. My parents are discouraging me but i just want a second opinion if its a good idea...
your mum tis a good breed
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
No. They WILL piss everywhere. I know, I had to clear it up last night and I'm NOT joking
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
dogs are cool. i would get one if my mom would allow it. what EVER you do, don't get a chihuahua. they're mean little bastards...
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Last edited by KGB_INC at Dec 21, 2008,
It needs (along with food and waste services) lots of attention. You'll need to walk it regularly and they can be a real pain.
If you're a dog person with lots of spare time and love to give then go ahead... but don't say no-one warned you.

i come from the future. you must not get the dog. he will lead the resistance against the machines! he must be stopped!
I have no opinion on this matter.
you need a lot of spare time.... i have a dog and although i love the thing i really don't have the time for him anymore... luckily i live next door to my parent so there;s always someone about... what you got to think is it'll be alive for at least 10years, possibly 20 depending on breed so if your circumstances change... like job or you want to move into a flat or something it can be a real pain.... i was 17 when i got my dog and was fine then because i only had college... but now i work and study after work so i'm not really in so much and thats not fair on the dog... like i said though depends completely on your situation but just remember how long you'll have the dog for......
Quote by MastaBassist10
Bloke is very right. Gooooo Bloke!

Quote by led+metallica
Ok so ive really wanted a dog but im not sure whether ill be able to take care of one. Can someone please tell me what exactly u have to do to to take care of a dog and can u please recommend a breed that wud be good as my first dog. My parents are discouraging me but i just want a second opinion if its a good idea...

if you think you ask the pit for answers like that, then no, do not get a dog
Gear:
Jackson DK2 Trans Black

Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960AV
you need to feed it, take it to the vet if it gets sick (and that can be very expensive) you need to give it water, and a sheltered place to sleep too. also, it's highly recommended that you have a big yard for it to play in. Also, it depends if it's an outside or an inside dog. If you let it inside, you need to house train it. Go to a pet store, or an RSPCA (or whatever they call it in your country. animal shelter) and they will give you advice.
lol my dog just sits at home and sleeps. if u want a dog but u dont want it 2 ruin ur life, get a fukin lazy sleepy breed that will bite if u try and walk it. nothing 2 big, but not a jack russel. just get a dog that u see in the dog shows, u know the ones with the long hair, but shave its hair really short at ur local dog salon. this means no gay brushing everyday and no gay baths once a week.
dogs are cool, ignore the guy who said it WILL piss everywhere, it'll only piss in the wrong place for about 1-3 months.... and if you have the commitment, thats not a problem. also they sometimes chew wood like table legs and desks. also i would suggest a border collie or labrador, they are total dudes amongst the dog kin.

also if you get it rubber toys take it away once the dog starts biting bits off and eating them otherwise you could end up with a £3000-£5000 operation on its stomach
-all from experience-
There was a Signature here.

It's gone now.
Last edited by shockrocker at Dec 21, 2008,
Get a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by archerygenious
No. They WILL piss everywhere. I know, I had to clear it up last night and I'm NOT joking

Well that's YOUR fault, because you've blatently not trained it properly.

If you want a dog, you need plenty of time spare, to walk them and what not, as well as all the initial toilet-training in the beginning.
Think if you've got enough money to spare... they need feeding, as well as worming treatment and flea treatment, initial vaccinations as well as a booster every year. That's not including any illnesses or conditions which will require veterinary assistance.

If you do decide you want a dog, make sure you pick one that suits your lifestyle. If you don't have a big house, a St Bernard is not a good option! Likewise, if you don't want anything that wants to much attention, don't get a toy breed, they're pathetic.

Be aware that pedigree dogs are prone to certain conditions, eg Labradors are prone to hip/elbow dysplasia and obesity, Border Collies are prone to fitting, etc.

Mutts are best, as they're not so inbred so don't necessarily end up with problems waiting to happen!!

I think that covers just about everything.....
Quote by KGB_INC
dogs are cool. i would get one if my mom would allow it. what EVER you do, don't get a chihuahua. they're mean little bastards...

Get one...i dare ya...
Just buy a really really old one, then you won't need to walk it much and it can just sleep all day
Quote by rancidryan
your mum tis a good breed

NO.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
If you aren't sure then don't bother

Or i'll beat the crap out of you for animal abuse
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Well it depends where you live, what your house is like, how big your garden is, what your family is like, if you have small children around, other pets, etc etc...

For example, a good dog to own if you live in a city is a Great Dane, because despite being very large they don't need very long walks. They die young though, around 9 years old.

Retrievers (labradors, golden retrievers, flatcoats etc) are very very friendly usually, and get along well with other animals and humans. They need quite a lot of exercise however, and get lonely easily.

Small dogs like terriers also need quite a lot of exercise and prefer to have a job to do, otherwise they can get snappy. They don't always get on well with children.

Toy dogs tend to be prone to genetic faults - eg weak legs, bad eyesight, bad tempers - because they've been bred so closely to achieve the "perfect" dog look. They don't take up much room, though, and don't need a large house and garden.

Mongrels tend to be very good-tempered and healthy, but might need a lot of attention and love depending on their background.

What might be an idea is to go to your nearest animal rescue centre - or look on the internet for dog rescue places - and tell the people who run it what your living situation is, so they can recommend a dog for you. And you should definitely either rescue one (giving a poor dog a good home) or buy direct from a breeder, who can give you the dog's Kennel Club documentation and documentation from a vet to prove the dog has had its vaccinations etc.

DO NOT buy a dog from a petshop. Petshop puppies are often from puppy farms, and buying them is supporting the puppy farm trade, where dogs and puppies are treated very cruelly and not given any veterinary care etc. It's up to the authorities and animal charities to help these dogs, so don't be tempted to buy them out of pity, because it would just be propagating more of the same cruelty.

Anyway, if you can tell us what you're looking for in a dog/what your circumstances are with work/school/house/garden/environment etc, then we might have better suggestions as to specific breeds.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
you should get one but it HAS to be one with fluffy soft fur, and you can play with.
PSN: KevGuy47
------▓▓▓▓▓
----▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
----▒▒▒░░
--░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒
------░░░░░░░
----▒▒▒▒▒
--▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒
░░▓▓░░
░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░
░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
----▓▓▓----▓▓▓
--▒▒▒--------▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒--------▒▒▒▒
West Highland Whites are awesome dogs. I've got one. The only real problem is mine is too stupid to know when it's had to much to drink and usually ends up being sick and is also spiteful so if you piss him off he'll piss on your shoes
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
dogs are rad. i have a rat terrier and a pitbull terrier. they are time consuming though and have accidents in the house and chew your stuff up sometimes. they are fun to have though. if you get one you should adopt one from the pound, i got both mine from people that couldnt keep them anymore
No dude, they're a pain in the arse.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by esther_mouse

Mongrels tend to be very good-tempered and healthy, but might need a lot of attention and love depending on their background.

What might be an idea is to go to your nearest animal rescue centre - or look on the internet for dog rescue places - and tell the people who run it what your living situation is, so they can recommend a dog for you. And you should definitely either rescue one (giving a poor dog a good home) or buy direct from a breeder, who can give you the dog's Kennel Club documentation and documentation from a vet to prove the dog has had its vaccinations etc.

This. Get a mongrel from a rescue centre.
This is what i did, and ive had my dog for 14 years now and he's been the best pet ever. If you have the time to be able to walk it 4 times a day and the money to buy food, toys and other things for it, i would DEFINATLY reccomend it
Quote by the bartender
^ this man knows his stuff.
I gots a puppy, his name is Vodka...

and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm Irish and like to drink...
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
Quote by atomic_llama
This. Get a mongrel from a rescue centre.
This is what i did, and ive had my dog for 14 years now and he's been the best pet ever. If you have the time to be able to walk it 4 times a day and the money to buy food, toys and other things for it, i would DEFINATLY reccomend it

Dogs from rescue centres aren't necessarily mongrels btw...they can be purebreds whose owners didn't look after them right and so on as well

I used to have a labrador and a mongrel (half flatcoat, half rough collie) when I was younger, and they were both lovely though.

I have a labrador from Labrador Rescue now, and he's such a sweetie
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
Dogs from rescue centres aren't necessarily mongrels btw...they can be purebreds whose owners didn't look after them right and so on as well

I know that, but i presonally think Mongrels have better personalities and are healthier, and that more people should get their dogs from a rescue centre
Quote by the bartender
^ this man knows his stuff.
Page 1 of 2