All,

I managed to get a refurbed Alesis Multimix 8 USB (1.1) for penuts and i'm trying to get it going via USB with Cubase Sx3/XP

If i follow the instructions for LE4, it says to use the ruddy direct x asio driver which is fine, as long as I'm happy with 3 seconds latency!

ASIO-4-All - gets me closer, but I get a high pitched whine which comes out over the monitors and recordingss.

USB Audio ASIO driver - 2.8.7 - seems to work, but they want $60 for a key to stop it from beeping

Does anyone know if alesis have anything that will work, or any other alternatvies etc?
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
if you connect the 2-track ins and outs with an RCA cable, and push in the button for "2tk to ctrl room" then you can record and monitor via USB right from the headphone jack on the mixer.

i have the EXACT same one. got it for peanuts too xD

you will get 0 latency with this method.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
cheers dude - i'm a bit confused tho.....

are you saying that if I connect the 2track ins and outs using an RCA cable in a loop - that I will then be able to get better latency using the dirext-x asio driver???
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by cuthbertg
cheers dude - i'm a bit confused tho.....

are you saying that if I connect the 2track ins and outs using an RCA cable in a loop - that I will then be able to get better latency using the dirext-x asio driver???

yes sir!

it sounds very unconventional, but i got that piece of info from the buried depths of an alesis website..

and since you'll be monitoring off the board, you will in fact get NO latency whatsoever.

don't forget to push in that button near the bottom right thats labelled "2tk to ctrl room"

There won't be any lag while recording either.
Evil double post. but i finally found the PDF that describes the method i use with far better details. these instruction assume you're using Cubase, but its likely to work with ANY recording program you're using..

Multimix 8USB users:

1. Turn down the LEVEL, MAIN MIX, and HDPH/CTRL RM knobs.

2. Make sure that the 2 TK TO MIX button is DOWN and the 2 TK TO CTRL
ROOM button in UP, otherwise you’ll hear horrible (and LOUD!) feedback
when you turn up the MAIN MIX knob later.

3. Connect the 2 TRACK OUT of the mixer to the 2 TRACK IN with an RCA
cable.

4. Record-Enable a track in Cubase LE and make sure input monitoring is
turned off in the program (if input monitoring is on, you’ll hear a delayed
echo of your voice or instrument because of computer latency.)

5. Set each channel’s GAIN and LEVEL knobs so that you’re getting good
level without lighting the PEAK indicator on the mixer.

The MAIN MIX knob now acts like a master-volume knob for all your mic/line
inputs. Adjust this knob until you’re getting good levels into Cubase.

The HDPH/CTRL RM knob now controls the loudness of your headphones
(or studio monitors), but does not affect recording levels in Cubase. You can
set this level to a comfortable setting (or even off) without affecting what gets
recorded into Cubase.

You can now can record into your computer without any latency.

EDIT: it also seems that i had the buttons reversed.. it didn't seem tohave any effect on my recording tho :S
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Dec 21, 2008,
cheers, that made no sense to me at all, and I havent really tested the latency out yet, but yeah it seems to work.

..problem is, I end up with this high pitched whine coming back through when you hit the 2k to control room button and it's really starting to get my goat - did you have anything similar....?
i have never had a problem like that. do you have both of those routing buttons down? or just the ctrl room one?

i apparently had the buttons backwards, but neither way resulted in a high pitch whine.

what else do you have connected to the computer and to your mixer?
I was wondering if any of ya'll have had a problem with beeping almost every 45 secs and if you could tell me how to make it stop. BTW the steps to recording the alt way works! My problem is the beeping comes through on the track so i kno its the mixer? Can any of yall help?
Quote by Djbrich990
I was wondering if any of ya'll have had a problem with beeping almost every 45 secs and if you could tell me how to make it stop. BTW the steps to recording the alt way works! My problem is the beeping comes through on the track so i kno its the mixer? Can any of yall help?

the mixer shouldn't be beeping. it doesn't really have any inherent sound making devices in it..

are you using any kind of limited shareware stuff? a lot of trial programs will cripple your recordings that way. emitting beeps every odd interval to make sure you don't get a free ride.
hm. having a mac shouldn't make any difference.. what else do you have plugged into that mixer?
just a bit of an update on this is anyone has anything similar in the future...

The high pitched whine is an actual fault with the unit when using the onboard USB. It seems to work ok connected via the RCA jacks etc and there is no noise present.

However, hook it up via usb and you end up with a high pitched whine coming out over the monitors and on recordings. according to various forums etc other users have experienced this issue, but after speaking to Alesis UK, they don't appear to have it down as a 'common fault'

Some users appear to have just put up with the noise or got rid of some of the noise by running a grounding lead from the chasis of your PC to the chasis of the multimix - this worked for me, but IMO was just not a useable solution.

TLR My Alesis Multimix 8USB is going back for repair/replacement and I'm considering changing it for a Behringer XENYX 1204FX for an extra £20 - does anyone have any experience with these units?
I am having a problem with my Multimix 8USB as well. The problem I have is that I'm trying to run two programs that use the ASIO drivers at the same time. It seems to cause serious issues. I'm considering uninstalling Vista and loading XP because there seems to be less issues with ASIO stuff using XP. BUT, before I do that I would like to see if anyone has any suggestions. The two programs I'm using are Stormdrum and Adobe Audition.
Quote by cuthbertg
just a bit of an update on this is anyone has anything similar in the future...

The high pitched whine is an actual fault with the unit when using the onboard USB. It seems to work ok connected via the RCA jacks etc and there is no noise present.

However, hook it up via usb and you end up with a high pitched whine coming out over the monitors and on recordings. according to various forums etc other users have experienced this issue, but after speaking to Alesis UK, they don't appear to have it down as a 'common fault'

Some users appear to have just put up with the noise or got rid of some of the noise by running a grounding lead from the chasis of your PC to the chasis of the multimix - this worked for me, but IMO was just not a useable solution.

TLR My Alesis Multimix 8USB is going back for repair/replacement and I'm considering changing it for a Behringer XENYX 1204FX for an extra £20 - does anyone have any experience with these units?

aw dude that sucks. my mixer seems flawless and i bought it for like.. $60 or so..

i guess it was my lucky day. if the behringer works, go for it. whatever works without giving you odd issues
quick question, i have the alesis 8 track and cubase 4le, and i wanna record 4 tracks.
track 1 - rhythm guitar 1,
track 2 - rhythm guitar 2,
track 3 - lead guitar
track 4 - bass guitar

so i record track 1 with a riff lets say the main riff.
once i finnished i record onto the second track playing harmonies over the main riff off track 1 but....while im recording on track 2 playin the harmonies track 2 seems to be recording what i had originally recorded on track one so the end result is doubled up main riff shared over 2 track while the harmony is being played but it then happens when playing the solo, it seems to be recording whatever is playing in the background while recording.....any suggestions what is happenin?

steve
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I’m not sure about the universe
I had trouble getting sound to be heard while recording, the mixer is naturally quiet when theres no effect or frequencies changed.

The beeping happened when i was using the auxiliary method, I wish it would stop...
Quote by Kivarenn82
aw dude that sucks. my mixer seems flawless and i bought it for like.. $60 or so..

i guess it was my lucky day. if the behringer works, go for it. whatever works without giving you odd issues

Yeah it was a shame and I think I was just unlucky - but I ended up getting the USB 2 version of the Alesis so I can record 8 tracks at the same time straight into my daw - got it second hand and so far I'm really pleased with it - just wish it had faders (!?)

Also got a great little midisport 2x2 to cover my midi drumkit and keyboard (cheap as chips and sooo bloody handy) which means I can finally retire the old soundblaster and breakout box, sniff, I'll almost miss it....