The SM57 mic adds alot of mud for me, impossible to record the amps high gain tone
tried tons of different mic postition, still its muddy

Even my crappy digital camera record it better..

Mic-> ART Tube Mic preamp -> line6 toneport gx

will i get better sound if i buy a new interface?
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

i record with it straight from my dual rectifier and it really doesnt pick up the higher end, sounds far stickyer/muddyer than in real life, i have also tried different positions so maybe it is the mic. Still i am being picky because it sounds killer, but there is the muddy element i dont like
Origanally Posted by freedoms_stain
Live webcam shows.
The bigger and blacker the dildo, the more cash.

Originally Posted by neopowell
Holy Christ I haven't laughed that hard since I bummed that clown. Well done!
i managed to reduce it, from changing the ASIO driver settings and some the windows recording device settings and stuff

Last edited by Jaekae at Dec 21, 2008,
could you recomend some interface? i will use the art preamp with it

would this be an upgrade?

http://www.thomann.de/se/alesis_io2.htm

Probably because it's designed for vocals, so it cuts off a bit of the high and low ends when getting the signal.
any mics that are designed for recording guitar amlifiers?

think ill get that presonus, ive read some others recomending it also,

Can give my toneport to my brother as a christmas gift :P

its definately your interface, everyone uses the 57. Bear in mind mastering software can clean it up.
You have to tweak the tone coming out the amp by listening to what's recorded, not what's coming out the amp.

Recording tone is COMPLETELY different to live tone and ESPECIALLY bedroom tone.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Ziesta
Bear in mind mastering software can clean it up.

No. Well... to a small extent. Post above about 'crap in = crap out' is right on the money. You'll read a lot of analogies of "you can spend all day polishing a turd, but at the end of the day, all you really have is a shiny turd. "

It's kinda like saying "don't worry about focus on the photograph... it can always be retouched later." Yeah, but it's still going to be blurry...

People are far too complacent about these kinds of things. Don't allow yourself to produce crap on purpose or out of laziness, leaving it to someone else to deal with later in what amounts to 'damage control' mode.

Get a good sound. That way, when it goes to mastering, the person doing the mastering can work on making your great tracks sound brilliant.... which is what they are supposed to do.

Plus, mastering is done on the final stereo mix. Anything done in an effort to make the guitar sound better will be applied to the whole mix. So, if you try to brighten up the tone on the guitar, you'll make the high end on the whole rest of the mix brighter too. Now, you've got really nasty, harsh sounding cymbals, and have accentuated the sibilance on the vocal that you were hoping could be fixed in mastering too.

It's possible, but not likely, that your mic is the problem. 57's are used all over the world on tons of hit records to capture guitar tones with great success. They are solid and sturdy enough that they aren't often damaged.

Can you post a clip?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by willieturnip
You have to tweak the tone coming out the amp by listening to what's recorded, not what's coming out the amp.

Recording tone is COMPLETELY different to live tone and ESPECIALLY bedroom tone.

+1
I have the Inspire 1394/Art tube pre/SM 57 and ive never had a problem with muddy recording. Ive had some muddy engineering but that was my trial and error. Takes a while to get everything on the same page.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
i have closed studio headphones that lower ambient sound by 32 db, and the amp in another room while playing with direct monitoring of what comes into the mic while i play, so all i hear is the recording tone, and whatever settings and whatever mic position i use it sounds muddy, and my amp has far from a muddy tone, so im guessing it has something to do with that the toneport gx is designed to be used with a modeling software, not recording from a mic

so im going to buy a better interface that is made for mic recording, the presonus that moody recomended