I play mostly metal, heavier stuff. So far, I've used the bridge pickup for regular riffing/rhythm, and the neck pickup for cleans and solos (sometimes).

While watching some videos online, I heard the neck pickup being referred to as the "rhythm" pickup. Does this imply that the neck pickup is usually used for rhythm playing instead of the bridge pickup?

I know it probably depends on the rest of my equipment, too, but I'm using a cheap effects pedal and a practice amp. I'm looking to improve my live sound.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
the neck pickup generally has less treble and more bass, making it sound "smoother"

so yeah if your just playing chords under something then use the neck p-u.

but it's completely up to you, if you like the sound of the bridge p-u then use it.
They have different sounds, you just use whichever one you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by exordium
I play mostly metal, heavier stuff. So far, I've used the bridge pickup for regular riffing/rhythm, and the neck pickup for cleans and solos (sometimes).

While watching some videos online, I heard the neck pickup being referred to as the "rhythm" pickup. Does this imply that the neck pickup is usually used for rhythm playing instead of the bridge pickup?

99% of metal is played using the Bridge pickup, it gives a much crunchier sound and lets harmonics ring out much easier. Quite a few players also play leads on the neck pickup as it has a smoother sound for legato and sweeps etc.

That being said you should experiment and find the sound you like.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by exordium

I know it probably depends on the rest of my equipment, too, but I'm using a cheap effects pedal and a practice amp. I'm looking to improve my live sound.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

It just depends on what you are doing. Most metal rhythm is done with the bridge pick up, if you're shredding, the neck pick up is an asset. Use the neck PU for clean solos. If you haven't already, look into Kirk Hammett's style, Because he shifts through all 3/5 positions in alot of Metallica's songs, Essecially their early stuff, Esspecially on Master Of Puppets.
Also, get to know Batio, Learning from him will help you know how to get the most from your pick ups.