When I started playing with wiring I used lead-free solder. I grew tired of it and breathed a sigh of relief when I started using led solder; I found it so easy to work with because the melting point is much lower. Now I have a lot of soldering experience and feel I should be using led-free solder so I don't grow a brain tumor or something.

So who uses led-free solder? I now have a 40W soldering iron so it might be easier than my first attempts with a 25W iron.
I don't think you can buy leaded stuff in the EU any more, so I'm probably using lead free justnow but I couldn't tell you for sure.

I just use rakes of flux and hold my pichy 5-watt or something iron in place for 5 minutes then again, hardly anything I build ever works - probably cos the insides of all the components are cooked
I don't know who but i can tell you one thing!

Not me!!~
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
I use silver solder. I have to in order to be ROHS compliant. I found that for wiring guitars a 40 watt iron was about right. For amps a 60 watt iron works much better. For pickups I had to get a soldering station with adjustable temp.
Not taking any online orders.
I've used lead free and it just takes a bit more preperation of the area for the joint. It won't be too long until almost everyone is using it due to all of these restrictions on lead.

The chances of someone developing cancer from soldering is very low unless they are crammed into a non ventilated room and solder all day.
Quote by JackoMBA
When I started playing with wiring I used lead-free solder. I grew tired of it and breathed a sigh of relief when I started using led solder; I found it so easy to work with because the melting point is much lower. Now I have a lot of soldering experience and feel I should be using led-free solder so I don't grow a brain tumor or something.

So who uses led-free solder? I now have a 40W soldering iron so it might be easier than my first attempts with a 25W iron.

Explain this...

Lead has a melting point of 625 degrees Celsius (or somewhere in that area). Soldering irons don't get that hot. So all this talk of inhaling lead is crap.

That smoke you see from soldering is just a bit of flux burning up. Don't inhale the flux fumes, stay in a well ventilated area and you will be fine.
Last edited by kurtlives91 at Dec 21, 2008,
a brain tumor??? haha. that should be sig'ed.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
i use 60/40 radioshack solder. works fine. don't care, as long as the solder works and isn't too expensive
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
I know leaded solder is illegal in the UK

and lead free definatly works fine.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I've used lead 60/40 and silver.

The silver is hard to work with, and doesn't stick. The lead flows wonderfully and gets the job fast, and well.

It's a no brainer for me... I'll stock up on lead **** if it gets illegal haha.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Lead solder ftfw. I hate that silver crap. It won't stick to anything and is hard as hell to work with. I use the radio shack 60/40 stuff; well, I did until my friend's dad gave me a 1 lb spool of leaded solder. It's some good ****. I've had it for about a year now and still have plenty. It's the small-diameter stuff that's great for guitar and pedal modding.