My band is currently lacking a rhythm guitarist but we play metal so I was wondering whether I could get that generic metal 'chug' using just my bass and effects? When I try to use distortion a lot of the bass disappears (I use Zoom multi effects) so is there a way of keeping the bass one, if anyone has experience with the Zoom B2.

EDIT: If you dont know what I mean by chug then listen to a track off A7X's latest album.
Palm muting is essential.

Scooped mids will help.

Playing with a pick.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Here's my advice for a good, thundery tone:

-play with a pick

-play agressively, with lots of right hand - this takes ALOT of practice to build up the stamina to play a set.

-EQ Is VERY important, you want it so you's it somewhere in between mellow muddy sound and bee-in-a-jar, turn the pot on the bass to full (or close to full) treble and mess about with the EQ on the amp.

-P bass pickup or bridge pickup if you have a choice.

-distortion is not a neccecary ingredient by any means, In fact on a bass it can serve to mellow out the sound in some situations. I don't play with any distortion.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by Jonnomainman
Palm muting is essential.

Scooped mids will help.

Playing with a pick.

Absolutely incorrect. The mids are where you get your punch, and that is the section of your sound that will fill out the bands. You can lower your high mids a touch, but your low mids can be boosted.
He has no rhythm guitarist to compete with so its not like he's going to be out of the mix if he scoops his mids.

If you want a bitey, gritty sound, boost the low mids, but other wise, cut them back.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
He has no rhythm guitarist to compete with so its not like he's going to be out of the mix if he scoops his mids.

If you want a bitey, gritty sound, boost the low mids, but other wise, cut them back.

I would think it would be the high mids. Boosting the low mids just gets you a whole bunch of VOOOOOOM.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
start by flatlining it (the EQ), then just move the sliders till you get a good sound. If it's too bassy, take away bass or add a bit of treble - it's common sense really. most of the time that's how i'll do it, you just need to move the dials/sliders a notch or so most of the time. It's a subtle art. make sure you don't have EG: the amp EQ on full treble, while a pedal or tone knob is on full bass. a common mistake I used to make alot...

I'm not an EQ expert or anything.
Quote by Jonnomainman

Your logic is flawed. No rhythm guitar doesnt mean he has less to compete with, it means he has even MORE sonic space he has to fill. I stand by what I say. Lots of bass, boost low mids, cut high mids a touch, and do what ever you want with treble