Ok, so I am planning on getting a new guitar. My budget is $400-$550. I play a lot of hard rock and blues, like Guns N Roses, Jimi Hendrix, and Slash's Snakepit. I've also been playing a lot of Joe Satriani lately too. I don't want to get another Strat. I also like a metal tone with a blues solo, like something Kirk Hammett would do, or someone else like that.

EDIT: Also a lot of the stuff I write is instrumental.
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Last edited by cj10schmelzer at Dec 21, 2008,
Hmm.. an Epiphone Explorer,perhaps? pretty good tone and high fret availability
Quote by TheQuailman
I'd rather replace the Spider and maybe the bridge pickup of your Squier, that should give you far better results.

Well, I've got no complaints with the Spider at the moment, because it's really all I need. I'm not playing any big shows, just the talent shows and stuff at school. The reason I want to get a new guitar is:

1) Every time I use the whammy bar on my strat, it makes the strings go out of tune.
2) I want some humbuckers
3) Sometimes when I bend strings, the nut creeks, and I don't think that's a good thing.
4) It's about time I get a new guitar anyway.
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by zeemonkey
cant go wrong with an ibanez for metal/guitar based stuff.

Any specific models? Or any suggestions on what NOT to get?
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez RG
or PRS SE custom
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
from the sounds of it you would probably benifit from something epiphone
for a cheaper version of a gibson they do very well especially for someone like you and your needs. you will be surprised at the quality compared to your squire
from the sounds of things you like rock and blues more than metal so this will be a good choice

but in all seriousness the spider has to go
ill be honest, they lack
but since that is not your problem i will leave it be.
Quote by cj10schmelzer
Well, I've got no complaints with the Spider at the moment, because it's really all I need. I'm not playing any big shows, just the talent shows and stuff at school. The reason I want to get a new guitar is:

1) Every time I use the whammy bar on my strat, it makes the strings go out of tune.
2) I want some humbuckers
3) Sometimes when I bend strings, the nut creeks, and I don't think that's a good thing.
4) It's about time I get a new guitar anyway.

Okay, I understand. If a trem is not necessary, look at Hagstroms:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hagstrom-Ultra-Swede-Quilt-Electric-Guitar?sku=515715
I think they are very good value and should work for the music you play. The Ultra Swede is not the only good, others like the Deluxe are also worth a look.

If you really need a trem though, I'd buy an Ibanez SA series guitar and use the left over money to replace a pickup or two. SA guitars are pretty good except for the mediocre stock pickups.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SA260M-Electric-Guitar?sku=512538
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by AJ18
from the sounds of it you would probably benifit from something epiphone
for a cheaper version of a gibson they do very well especially for someone like you and your needs. you will be surprised at the quality compared to your squire
from the sounds of things you like rock and blues more than metal so this will be a good choice

but in all seriousness the spider has to go
ill be honest, they lack
but since that is not your problem i will leave it be.

I will be getting a new amp, probably a Marshall or a Peavey, once I have a job.

I htink I'm leaning ttowards an Ibanez RG
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by cj10schmelzer
I htink I'm leaning ttowards an Ibanez RG

Those have crappy tremolos, except for the higher end ones. If you want a double locking tremolo guitar for cheap, look at the Ibanez S320. 500 bucks and a better trem than any comparably priced RG.