Page 1 of 2
I know this budget is pretty restrictive, but I'm sure there's hope out there somewhere. I play a lot of Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against the Machine, Weezer, etc. I need something good for metal, hard rock, and classic rock. So I prefer that it has some effects built in, some good amp distortion, and I prefer that it is a tube amp.

What do you recommend?

If there's one out there for $600, I can try and stretch my budget to that if I wait it out a bit. I also don't want to spend some more cash on a multi-effects pedal just to get the sound I want, unless the amp itself is like $400, and the pedal is like $100, then I can manage around something like that.

***But I would prefer a new amp, not a used one because my parents are a bit iffy about buying something expensive used on ebay, especially when I can't test it out.
B-52 at 112
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
i hear the new peavey windsor is failry good. its a halfstack tube amp and its only 400$
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
Look at Bugera... Although they are said to be a little unreliable, they are right down your price range and they have very good distortion...
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Oh, I forgot to mention, it needs to be powerful enough to play small-medium gigs, so it's like to a crowd of 250-1000 people.

I was thinking about the B52, but I never heard the brand name, but doing some research, they aren't that reliable.
Crate V series to your desired wattage, I recommend 15 watts because you can crank the amp to get that hot tube sound, while remaining at a reasonable volume.
Are Bugeras hard to find? I can't find them in store for Guitar Center or Sam Ash, which are my only music outlets near me.
My next 2 gigs include a battle of the bands and a variety show, both at my high school. They have a PA system, but everyone tells me it's crap. The battle of the bands will have about 250 people, and the variety show is in front of the whole school, which is like 1000 ppl+. I guess they can mic me up...

In that case, I have a 15 watt amp, would there be a point in buying a bigger one if in theory, they could just mic that up?
Most tube amps don't have built in effects... And generally if they do, they're crap and quite pricey.

EDIT: Why not test them in store if you're willing to buy second hand on eBay?
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
So what's the best plain tube amp I can get for around $400-500, and the best distortion pedal to alter the sound?

I don't feel like buying secondhand, even if I'm happy with the model itself, because who knows how the previous user treated his/her amp in the past?
Quote by gack513
So what's the best plain tube amp I can get for around $400-500, and the best distortion pedal to alter the sound?

I don't feel like buying secondhand, even if I'm happy with the model itself, because who knows how the previous user treated his/her amp in the past?

Yeah, I won't buy second hand most of the time either. I'd recommend a Peavey Valveking 112 and if you need to push it get some kind of overdrive like the Wylde OD... Oh yeah, alot of people complain about the shit quality of the speakers in them... be warned.
For sale
Dean VMNT in Silver

PM For info!

My band
I know this isn't a tube amp, but why does the Line 6 Spider III amp receive so much hate? I loved it in the store, with it's so many preset tones. I'm not that creative, so I can't imagine crafting my own tone just yet. Seriously, what's wrong with it? Is it that it can't play that loud without rattling? Or the fact that it plays the same no matter what guitar is being played through it?
if you can't craft your own tone yet, you can't hold yourself reliable to judge tone on your own either. just take everyone's word for it, the tone sucks, end of story.
Quote by gack513
Oh, I forgot to mention, it needs to be powerful enough to play small-medium gigs, so it's like to a crowd of 250-1000 people.

I was thinking about the B52, but I never heard the brand name, but doing some research, they aren't that reliable.

They are plenty reliable now.
Quote by gack513
I know this isn't a tube amp, but why does the Line 6 Spider III amp receive so much hate? I loved it in the store, with it's so many preset tones. I'm not that creative, so I can't imagine crafting my own tone just yet. Seriously, what's wrong with it? Is it that it can't play that loud without rattling? Or the fact that it plays the same no matter what guitar is being played through it?

It sounds extremely digital for a start. Also, you usually hear people say how much they loved them in store and take them home... eventually they hate them after comparing them to amps in the same price range.
For sale
Dean VMNT in Silver

PM For info!

My band
Should I stay away from tube amps, since I'm only on the low end spectrum of them at this price range?

I would think built in amp distortion is going to be a bigger deciding on the overall sound than a pedal can provide. So maybe I should switch over to the solid state side?

There's not much I can do with my budget here.
Quote by gack513
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/B-52+Pro+Audio/AT-112+112+Combo/10/1

Look through all the reviews, and pay special attention to the reliability. It's a low-end tube amp made in China, I'm not expecting much in terms of reliability, or resale value if I ever needed to sell it off.

The main problem was always overheating, and that problem has been solved in recent productions of the amp. The older ones are prone to overheat, but the ones that are younger than year or two are just fine.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The main problem was always overheating, and that problem has been solved in recent productions of the amp. The older ones are prone to overheat, but the ones that are younger than year or two are just fine.

I'm not trying to put you down or anything, but I'm just staying skeptical because this amp seems too good to be true, and most of those reliability issues in that link had nothing to do with overheating, but just with the footswitch breaking, hissing, the gain channel not working, etc.
hybrids=marketing solid state with a better name,

IDk why you won't look into valvekings or B-52's, those fit your sound and needs for volume
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
BUY BUGERA TUBE AMP...

trust me, you'll thank yourself that you bought a tube amp... Go on zzounds and buy one. They don't have them in sam ash or GC but you can listen to sound clips on youtube and buy the amp off of zzounds.com or musiciansfriend.com ... you can always send it back if you don't like it i think... but trust me a Bugera would fit your price needs and it has no need for any mods or pedals...

edit: http://www.zzounds.com/item--BUG6260212

perfect- $469 for the blemished one. it has full factory warranty and comes with everything theres probably just one ding in it. 120 watts, 2x12 speakers- you won't need to be mic'd up for this amp.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Last edited by DaddyBarbs at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by ShredGod George
hybrids=marketing solid state with a better name,

IDk why you won't look into valvekings or B-52's, those fit your sound and needs for volume

I'm currently looking into b-52s, but I'm trying to look up more about their reliability. As for the valvekings, I hear they don't quite give the overdrive I need.
B-52s are fine man- Perhaps some of the best amps I have played in their price range.

I would go for one if I were you. They only had reliability problems early on.

Valvekings are a bad choice

Can you go used?
Wow that Bugera sounds amazing. 120 watts in a tube amp...do I really need that much power? I want to be able to use this in my bedroom without being too loud, be able to use this in practice sessions, and in small gigs.
I suppose I can go used, but that's only if I test it out in person. The only place I see that happening is in a pawn shop, which I can't find anywhere near me.

Like I said, there's no indication of how a person treated the amp in the past. I tend to stay away from Ebay due to a bad history with them. Even if I'm sold on getting an amp on Ebay, my parents won't let me.

As much as I like that Bugera, I think I'll stick with the B-52. That Bugera just seems too powerful for me. I'll give the B52 a whirl at Guitar Center this week. It seems perfect, with all the effects built in, and I could use it in my bedroom if it's at a low volume, band practice at a lower-medium volume, and a gig at medium-high volume.

Plus, the fact that I can get it for $360 new is unbelievable.
Are they good for metal by default, or do I have to add a distortion pedal to get an ideal sound? I'm not looking to play death metal, but the heaviest I'll get is some Pantera.
Quote by gack513
Are they good for metal by default, or do I have to add a distortion pedal to get an ideal sound? I'm not looking to play death metal, but the heaviest I'll get is some Pantera.

they've got plenty of distortion
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Guys, thank you so much! I think I'm set on this amp. I might even get it today or tomorrow! At $360, this is an ideal amp and below my budget.
good tube amps wont have effects. with that variety of music, i say go for a good modeling like a line 6 flextone. i forgot how much they are but you could look used if you have to. its not tube, but it sounds good, is very versatile, and has good effects. plus you can save presets
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Maybe nutinpwnsgibson has a point....maybe a modeling amp is the way to go....

What are some good ones out there?
The new Peavey Vypyrs have 'tube models' with 6L6 powertubes, and redesigned Transtube in the preamp. they have almost EVERY SINGLE EFFECT imaginable, and have some killer distortion and tone. Plus, its $450 for the 60w combo. and yes, it is extremely loud.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc

edit: read up more about them here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939283
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by bjovi400
The new Peavey Vypyrs have 'tube models' with 6L6 powertubes, and redesigned Transtube in the preamp. they have almost EVERY SINGLE EFFECT imaginable, and have some killer distortion and tone. Plus, its $450 for the 60w combo. and yes, it is extremely loud.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc

edit: read up more about them here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939283

I'm liking this Peavey a whole lot, but the thing is I prefer my amps to come with footswitches, and the Sanpera II for this one is $180. So I'm way over budget.

(What's the difference between the Sanpera I and II?)

I don't need all the effects in the world, but a sizable amount is reasonable. However, that Peavey seems like a steal because of the preloaded effects in it.

My only concern is if I would be able to practice in my bedroom without getting complaints from neighbors. I mean my main goal for my amp is to be able to play practices and do small-medium gigs.
How has no one said the peavey classic 30/50 yet? its a nice amp for any classic rock but may need a distortion pedal for metal
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Quote by Dandaman4716
How has no one said the peavey classic 30/50 yet? its a nice amp for any classic rock but may need a distortion pedal for metal

+1, Classic 30 FTW!
Page 1 of 2