I currently have a Marshall DSL 401 but I simply don't use it as I'm not in a band at the moment and I can't crank it in the house. At home I'm using headphones through my Digitech GNX3000, which I love but there are times, when jamming at friends houses, that I need it amplified but I still can't really use the Marshall properly. As a result, I've been looking at a modelling amp but I'm not sure which would be best. So far I've tried these:

Vox Valvetronix
I love the real tube tone you get with this but it just doesn't give me the gain I like to use and it is all somewhat limited compared to what I have on the GNX.

Roland Cube 60
This is a really good amp for the money and gives loads of gain but the amp models are nothing like as good as those on the GNX and again, it's a little limited in what it can do.

Spider Valve
This was quite impressive in many ways but I'm back to the problem of having to drive valves and once again, I just didn't find the amp models anything like as convincing as on the GNX. The optional floorboard would help its flexibility but that makes it VERY expensive for what it is.

The other one I've been considering is the Peavey Vypyr 75w with the optional floorboard but so far I've been unable to try it. If the amp models and effects can start to match my GNX, I may also sell my GNX to fund the optional floorboard and then I have an all-in-one solution. Has anyone tried one of these and how does it compare to things like the GNX or GT-10 etc.?

Basically, I want an amp that can be used in the home or in a live setting if needed; it has to have a headphone socket; it ideally should be able to connect to a computer for patches, updates etc.; it should be flexible in the way a multi-fx system is and it should ideally have a way of changing patches easily, like with a floorboard. Any ideas or suggestions?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Why not just look at power amps to go with your GNX? Another thought would be to look at a flextone. You didn't mention budget.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I'm probably looking at about the £250 - £300 mark for the amp as that's about what I'll get for the Marshall. If it was something like the Vypyr, the sale of the GNX would then go toward the floorboard. I have looked at powered PA speakers to go with the GNX and I really loved the Makie SRM450 (I think that's what it was called but God it was big and really wasn't ideally what I wanted.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
The problem is in most cases the preamps used in these modelers are basically cheap knockoffs of your GNX (or in my case POD). You'll be hard put to find that quality within your budget. Your going to have to make some compromises between portability and sound quality.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Have you looked at Line6 Flextones yet? You could get a used one with 300 pounds, they are a good bit better than cheaper modellers.

EDIT: Another possibility would be getting a small PA system and some speakers to amplifiy the GNX. That's what I do with my Vox Tonelab and I'm pretty happy with the results.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 21, 2008,
Yes, I was afraid that this might be the problem as it does seem to be the case in all the modelling amps I've tried so far. I've just watched a comparison on YouTube between the Vypyr and Line 6 Spider and the Line 6 was awful. The Vypyr didn't sound too bad and I suspect that if I do make this move, it is the Vypyr I'll go for but of course, having had the quality of the GNX, it's a pain to think about giving it up. The trouble I'm finding with units like my GNX or your Pod is always one of amplification as it always loses so much when it goes through a speaker rather than headphones. Normal guitar amps are a waste of time for them, which leaves you with PA speakers. If I were to go the PA route and keep my GNX then it's getting a balance between a good quality sound reproduction, enough volume for small gigs and portability.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Yep it's always a trade off. Here's something to try though that surprised the crap out of me. Plug your GNX into a Valve Junior. It has it's limitations in some cases in the volume department, but I was very surprised at how good it sounded with the modeling capabilities of my POD. To my ear better then any SS amp i've tried and i actually like it better then my PA. It added warmth and dimension to my tones that just wasn't there before. It lacks balls against a drummer, but it sounds alot better then the standard fair of modeling amps being offered. The only one i've tried that comes close is the Fender Super Champ XD, but you need to try them to see if you agree. Everyone is different in there tastes for tone.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by TheQuailman
Have you looked at Line6 Flextones yet? You could get a used one with 300 pounds, they are a good bit better than cheaper modellers.

correction: you could get a new one for £300 or a used one for £130 like me
Quote by aradroxar
correction: you could get a new one for £300 or a used one for £130 like me

Oooooh.... Sounds like I need to start looking for a back up amp on ebay.
take the output from your digitech and go straight into the FX return input of your marshall.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Yes, I thought about that but decided against it, partly because it still doesn't sound as it should and partly because Marshall really don't recommend any kind of distortion going through the FX loop. I assume they warn against that for a reason.

It seems that I either keep the quality of my GNX models and go with the powered PA speaker for amplification or I accept the modelling limitations of something like the Vypyr to get the simplicity of a more all-in-one solution. I'll need to try the Vypyr as soon as I can locate one locally to see just how good or limited it is. The more I look at these modelling amps, the more the Vypyr seems to be the best of the bunch and I've heard a couple of good reports about them. Some people seem to say that the amp models and effects are really good but I'm not sure if that's only compared to other modelling amps or if it's also compared to multi FX units like mine. I'd love to hear from somebody who has one or has tried both.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I looked at the THD Hotplate but they are very expensive. I've always wanted a valve amp; I've got one now and I love the tone of the thing but it just isn't practical for what I use it for. Whatever I do for amplification in the future, the Marshall is certainly being sold. For great sound at mostly bedroom levels and the odd gig, I think it simply has to be either a modelling amp or a PA style speaker for my GNX.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
Yes, I thought about that but decided against it, partly because it still doesn't sound as it should and partly because Marshall really don't recommend any kind of distortion going through the FX loop. I assume they warn against that for a reason.

running the output of the digitech straight into the FX return isn't having it going through the effects loop. what it does is it isolates the marshall's power amp. try it, its not gonna destroy your amp, its just replacing the marshall distortion with the digitech
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.