hey guys. i am heavily modding a lawsuit les paul. i have determined what i wanna do with it and have started but after i took the finish off the neck and body i found that it had a stunning mahogany body but a sh!ttly glued in plywood neck :/ i was wondering if i could cut the neck off and make a bolt on neck pocket and buy a same scale neck off warmoth and bolt it on somehow. could this be done? this is ethe guitar ive been modding.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/ff1413bd152a1427a4c85f3146c3e999.jpg

i have made another cutway by the way to make it like a doublecut lp
Last edited by JoelTheShredder at Dec 21, 2008,
can we see your guitar? where the "****ty plywood" meets the guitar?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
no unfortunatly. i lost my phone and my webcam is broken its like how gibbo set in thier necks on the lps but instead of mahogany my guitar just has a piece of plywood with a big crack down the inside of it
so is it like a bolt on neck but glued in? i dont completely understand what your saying.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

are you sure it's a plywood neck? vintage V100's have mahogany necks
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
are you sure it's a plywood neck? vintage V100's have mahogany necks

thats the thing. i don't know how plywood got to it :/ i think it was badly repaired and someone just painted over the grain to make it seem like it was all origanal and mahogany.
so if its just like a normal neck then the neck is attached to the long piece of wood going through the body? if so i dont see why you couldnt make it bolt on, it would take alot of work though
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
so if its just like a normal neck then the neck is attached to the long piece of wood going through the body? if so i dont see why you couldnt make it bolt on, it would take alot of work though

it is a set in neck not a neck thru body.
Could it be converted probably be alot of work tho. Might be tough to get the old neck out depending on how they put it in. Regular wood glue can be sweated apart, epoxy almost requires explosives. Not sure how to even make a plywood neck. Seen plywood bodies but never a plywood neck. You really need to come up with some pics so we can see what your talking about.
Yeah, its possible to do what you want.

Just do what you said and chop the neck off the body, remove whats left of the fingerboard on the body and sand it flush with the top.

Buy your neck you want with the correct scale length and position it on the body so its all lined up with the bridge in the correct place in relation to the scale length.

Route a new neck pocket to accept the new neck.

There is a little more to it than that but its more than do-able.