Hey

I'm trying to decide between an ibanez s or rg tremolo guitar. I've seen rave reviews about the S series some people giving it 10/10 but then i read really bad reviews about the infinity pick ups that it comes with.

I love the sound that a mahogany body and rosewood fretboard makes and I want a guitar that has those specs for around the price of an ibanez s 520.

So should I buy a different guitar (if so which?) or should i just buy the 520 and pay to change the pickups?

If its any help my favourite guitarists are syn gates, frank iero and slash. though slash is supposed to have something like 100 guitars.

EDIT: My price range would be around 1200-1500 AUD which is about 800-1000 USD. Since the exchange rate is screwy now, i'll say that I'm prepared to pay up to an Ibanez S520 price.
Last edited by comma127 at Dec 21, 2008,
get a schecter. cheaper, EMG pickups, WAY beter than ibanez. its wat syn uses!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
if you're going to buy an s or rg ibanez, buy high end ones.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Quote by f22master

and zacky... lol but really, look into some schecters, they're really good
The C-1 Hellraiser FR is unstoppable through any decent tube amp, i prefer it over my Explorer actually
Smart Pothead and Proud
Quote by f22master

Uh... no, just no. EMG pickups are not going to help him achieve the tone he wants. And anyway, I don't recall Schecters being better than equally priced Ibanez guitars.

TS: If you want something cheaper than the S520, look at the S320, it's just 500$ and the best guitar with a double locking tremolo for that money that I have encountered so far.
And the INF pickups aren't as horrible as some people make them out to be. They sure are not top of the line pups, but they're all right and you won't get anything better on a Floyd equipped guitar under 500$ anyway. I say if you want a locking trem, go for the S.

RGs have bad tremolos except for the more expensive RG Prestige ones. The cheapest RG prestige is the RG1570 and those go for under 800$ new if I remember correctly. If you are willing to buy used, you could get one of those for the price of a new S.
The RG1570 is a good bit better than the S320 or S520, but the stock pickups still are not the greatest.

EDIT: What is it with the Schecter fanboys today? No doubt they are good for what they cost, but they can't stand next to an Ibanez S with swapped pups or an Ibanez Prestige. If you think they do you clearly need to go the next guitar store and try out some guitars.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 21, 2008,
Ive got an s470. its one of the best and smoothest guitars ive ever played. the pickups are not great, but they can really shine if you know what youre doing and you have a decent amp. you could pretty easily get the tones youre looking for i think. and if not, swap em out.
No Money, No Honey.
ok, so would it be a rip off to buy the S520 then switch the pickups? I mean, is there another guitar that has the same specs but with better pickups as standard(at that price or a little higher)?
Quote by f22master

*facepalm*

It's the Syn that puts me off buying a schecter tbh (oh and all the Schecter fanboys telling me they're the best in the world because A7Xuse them)

Ibanez play WAY better than any schecters out there.

Oh yeah...correct me if I'm wrong but what did Syn use before he was endorsed by schecter?

Wait a minute...

It's coming to me.......

Oh yeah that's it..................

AN IBANEZ!
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
I would have to say the S will be worth the money.

I love schecter and all, but i propably because im a lefty, but it always saddens me when i see "OMGZZZ A7X uses that, its awesomezz"
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
If you're getting an Ibanez Rg or S, make sure you get prestige. There's a huge difference between Prestige and just regular, so get prestige. And honestly, Schecters aren't really that good, you're better off getting a high end Ibanez cause if were going to say who plays schecters (sysnster gates like the other guy said) and you're really going to base what guitar you get off that then Vai, Satch and Gilbert blow syn out of the water and they all play Ibanez so...
if you would choose between a non prestige S and a non prestige RG, go for the S. it somes with a better trem and pickups. for RGs, go for the prestige guitars. and what would be your price range? maybe we could suggest other guitars like LTDs.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by comma127
ok, so would it be a rip off to buy the S520 then switch the pickups?

Nope, it's absolutely worth it. But I'd take an S320, because those are not different except for looks and are a bit cheaper.

Quote by comma127

I mean, is there another guitar that has the same specs but with better pickups as standard(at that price or a little higher)?

Sadly, no. The only guitars with an equally good trem are higher end Ibanez guitars as well as instruments with an original Floyd Rose and those are a lot pricier than an S with replacement pickups.
Quote by Gregoric
*facepalm*

It's the Syn that puts me off buying a schecter tbh (oh and all the Schecter fanboys telling me they're the best in the world because A7Xuse them)

Ibanez play WAY better than any schecters out there.

Oh yeah...correct me if I'm wrong but what did Syn use before he was endorsed by schecter?

Wait a minute...

It's coming to me.......

Oh yeah that's it..................

AN IBANEZ!

and gibsons and parkers yes
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Thanks for the replies guys.

okay, what a lot of you are saying is that the S520 is a good guitar but the pick ups are crap. So what pickups should i replace them with, and will i be able to sell the infinities to make some cash?

Quote by TheQuailman
Nope, it's absolutely worth it. But I'd take an S320, because those are not different except for looks and are a bit cheaper.

Sadly, no. The only guitars with an equally good trem are higher end Ibanez guitars as well as instruments with an original Floyd Rose and those are a lot pricier than an S with replacement pickups.

Yeah, I looked at their specs, and the dimension/woods/pickups are identical. The only difference seems to be the paint job and that the 320 has ZR w/ZPS2 and 520 just has ZR. Since the 320 is about 30% cheaper i assumed that ZR w/ZPS2 was bad because the paint job cant be worth that much.
The S520 has the ZPS2 as well, just like the higher end Ibanez S series guitars like the S2170, so I guess it's not a bad thing (at least that's what it says in my '08 Ibanez catalogue). And you'd be surprised how much of a difference in price the paint job can make. An oil finish like on the S320 is a good bit cheaper than the poly finish on guitars like the 520.

About the pickups:
What amp are you using? You know, mediocre pickups with a good amp will always sound a lot better than good pickups with a mediocre amp. So I'd worry more about the amp. I'd not change the stock pups unless you have a tube amp.
im springing for a whole new setup, so i'd be open to new amp suggestions.
Quote by TheQuailman
Uh... no, just no. EMG pickups are not going to help him achieve the tone he wants. And anyway, I don't recall Schecters being better than equally priced Ibanez guitars.

TS: If you want something cheaper than the S520, look at the S320, it's just 500$ and the best guitar with a double locking tremolo for that money that I have encountered so far.
And the INF pickups aren't as horrible as some people make them out to be. They sure are not top of the line pups, but they're all right and you won't get anything better on a Floyd equipped guitar under 500$ anyway. I say if you want a locking trem, go for the S.

RGs have bad tremolos except for the more expensive RG Prestige ones. The cheapest RG prestige is the RG1570 and those go for under 800$ new if I remember correctly. If you are willing to buy used, you could get one of those for the price of a new S.
The RG1570 is a good bit better than the S320 or S520, but the stock pickups still are not the greatest.

EDIT: What is it with the Schecter fanboys today? No doubt they are good for what they cost, but they can't stand next to an Ibanez S with swapped pups or an Ibanez Prestige. If you think they do you clearly need to go the next guitar store and try out some guitars.

+1 (i don't much like infinities, though, from what i can remember).

generally speaking, if you can't afford a prestige and want a locking trem, go S series (much better trem), if you can afford prestige, go RG (as they're MIJ and have good trems).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To dave:

To comma127: How much are you willing to spend for the amp? Is getting a used one an option? And a precise definition of the tones you are looking for would be good.
I gather you like rock and metal, right? If so, used Marshall DSL401 or used Engl Screamer 50 combos are usually a good choice, because they work nicely for those styles. They are plenty loud - perfect for gigging, but not appropriate if you just want to use the amp at home. So, will you need an amp for band practice, gigging, or just for home use?
Quote by TheQuailman
What is it with the Schecter fanboys today? No doubt they are good for what they cost, but they can't stand next to an Ibanez S with swapped pups or an Ibanez Prestige. If you think they do you clearly need to go the next guitar store and try out some guitars.

um...when is the last time you saw a prestige for like $800?
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master

wow yes thats the first thing you should look when you buy a guitar o.o lol
but yeah shecter are better IMO but yes you can do a pickup swap if you dislike the pickups
Quote by f22master
um...when is the last time you saw a prestige for like $800?

You can get an RG 1570 for under 800€ here:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg1570sdb.htm

I don't know how much they cost in the US though.

Imo the most interesting Schecters are the mid-price models, because they're worth every penny. The higher end ones aren't necessarily better, they just haver prettier tops and a lot of abalone (which I think looks incredibly tacky). If I had the money for a high end Schecter, I'd rather save up for an Ibanez Prestige, which will out perform the Schecter any day.

I don't have a problem with Schecters (they are not my cup of tee, but I know the guitars aren't bad), it's just the fanboys that annoy the hell out of me. I remember one particularly idiotic post where some guy claimed that his Schecter was as good as a 6000$ guitar (leaving aside that most 6000$ aren't worth the money anyway).
I mean c'mon...

EDIT: And i never said that Ibanez Prestige guitars are available for the price of a Schecter, I just said that they are plain better.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 22, 2008,
The aussie dollar is so crap, especially now that our guitars are basically double or more the price of the American equivalent. Eg, $600 guitar in the US costs $1350~ usually here. Its going to go up in the next month as well, some predict as high as 30%.

If you have $1000-$1500 to spend I'd spring for the S470 here http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/ibanez/products/S470DXQM.htm . has that extra single coil that the other S guitars lack, plus looks the best out of the non-prestige series in my opinion. If you're in the market for a guitar with a double locking trem that's good quality for that price rang, the S series is your absolute best bet.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
i got a schecter a while ago after listening to ppls advice on ug, and that was a big mistake, they maby got good specs but it plays badly, and are uncomfortable, and not worth the price they have

so i suggest you try out those ibanezes, and dont listen to the schecter fanboys
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard