Hey all, I currently have a Marshall MG30 watt combo amp that I'm trading in because I simply don't like it. I'm planning on building a half stack. I don't really want to spend more than $700 on it either. I play a lot of Nirvana and then hardcore type music. I'm looking for an amp with really good distortion, but then a really nice clean sound. I've been looking at a B52 head (the cheaper one) or a Vox head and a Marshall 4X12 Cabinet. What would you guys suggest?
Neither of those.
Get a nice combo.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
You don't need a half stack unless you A) need huge low end B) play arenas unmiced on a regular basis or C) have a small penis.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Get a nice combo and a poster of a half stack.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
what is so bad about halfstacks?????
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

They are just over the top for normal use, even for gigs.

For sure, who doesn't want to own the stereotypical stacks that grace arena stages and the like but its more of a novelty for everyday guitar players.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

They cost more than a combo when you're basically getting the same thing, except it's bigger.

Thus, stacks are often known as penis-enlargers.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
correct me if im wrong but a half stack is just an amp head and a cab with 2 speakers rite???
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
There are, of course, specific tonal aspects of half-stacks which means some players will have a genuine preference for them. But unless you're a serious player with the experience and ear for tone to actually notice the relative differences, you're just paying for a big, heavy and cumbersome penis extension...

And yes, I use a 1x12 combo...
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
correct me if im wrong but a half stack is just an amp head and a cab with 2 speakers rite???

As many speakers as you want.

Cabs come either as 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 most often but can also pair up them up so you can have more than 1 cab (2 4x12's being the legendary stack).

All plugged into the correct ohm sockets of course.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Raijouta
They cost more than a combo when you're basically getting the same thing, except it's bigger.

There is a huge difference tonally between a combo and a half stack and even between a half stack and a full stack.

However I will agree that a half stack is not necessary - a 2x12 combo will suffice.
Thing is 700 bucks wont get you a good halfstack. Considering the halfstacks in that price range are just the bigger MG. If its gonna spend all its time in your bedroom then its very unlikely you NEED a halfstack. As your not going to need a 100 watts in your house anytime soon.
Used Marshall 1960 Cabinet, if you really want the cab to be marshall, should go for something like 300-400$. Vox Valvetronix AD100VTH 100w goes for about 400 new. That's about 700-800$ right there and should be a pretty decent set up for the price, though you could get higher quality in a combo for the money, and a 2x12 cab might be a better option if you decide to go the head/cab route. All the people who insist on a combo are stuck up. There's some good reasons to get a combo, but good reasons to get a stack too. In this case, I think you could always buy a better head in the future, and you'd already have a nice cab to go with it. It's your call, go for whatever you think will work out best for you.
I got my Peavey Valveking head for $350 and Two Peavey Cabinets for $250.
For band practice I use a solid state head.

Peavey VTM
Marshall 8412
Fender 4x12 loaded with t75's
Epiphone LP-100
Fender Stratocaster Highway one
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
Used Marshall 1960 Cabinet, if you really want the cab to be marshall, should go for something like 300-400$. Vox Valvetronix AD100VTH 100w goes for about 400 new. That's about 700-800$ right there and should be a pretty decent set up for the price, though you could get higher quality in a combo for the money, and a 2x12 cab might be a better option if you decide to go the head/cab route. All the people who insist on a combo are stuck up. There's some good reasons to get a combo, but good reasons to get a stack too. In this case, I think you could always buy a better head in the future, and you'd already have a nice cab to go with it. It's your call, go for whatever you think will work out best for you.

he said he plays nirvana and hardcore. the vox valvetronix series doesnt do hardcore. for that price range and your genre your best bet is probably a randall rgtc50cc( i think thats what its called). it is a combo. for a stack under 700 dollars, that has the gain to play hardcore, you wont get anything that sounds good. the b52 at series might get you there with a OD, but that and a cab will not be under 700. i suggest looking used.

and to the combo/stack thing. i have a 30 1x12 watt tube combo amp that is great. especially on a budget combos are the way to go. however i like the extra air that a 2x12 pushes. you can notice the difference if your ear can pick it up. so i am either getting a 2x12 or 4x12 cab and using the combo as a head, as i like the tone just want to push extra air. it definatly is not necesary though.
Wow, thanks for all the replies already. I really wasn't expecting that much already. The reason why I was leaning towards the half stack was because I've had experience playing with a drummer and the drums are just louder than everything. I've had bad experiences with the 75 watt Line 6 cause when you turn it a little past mid, it sounds like **** and I had a crate 65 watt combo that arguably sounded the same. You're saying I should get a good combo, like 100 watts? I'm not that much familiar with amps (you can only believe so many reviews) and the nearest guitar center is an hour away :[
^^^ Apples and oranges. A 75 watt spider doesnt even begin to compare to a 30 watt tube amp. Nor would a 65 watt crate or any other SS in that wattage range. You couldnt turn the spider up past 5 you wont get to turn a 100 watt tube amp past 5 big difference. The 100 watt tube amp on 7 you will swear somebody is trying to land a B52 bomber in your practice space. So go try some 30, 50 and 100 watt tube amps out then decide. You can always add a cab to a combo but very hard to make a head into a combo.
Quote by stradivari310
You don't need a half stack unless you A) need huge low end B) play arenas unmiced on a regular basis or C) have a small penis.

Not exactly true. I use a Marshall halfstack and I certainly would still need a mic if I used my amp in a stadium. A 100 watt 2x12 combo is not really going to be any quieter than a 100 watt halfstack.

Quote by Raijouta

Thus, stacks are often known as penis-enlargers.

Not true. If one can change their tone drastically by changing 1) speakers 2) cabinet, I can't see how you're getting the same thing.

I use a halfstack and it's extremely annoying to transport, but my amp has such a flabby low end, having the 4x12 tightens it up a little bit.

That being said, a halfstack that cost $700 would raise eyebrows for me. I personally wouldn't spend any less than $1500 (new) for a halfstack.
Quote by Tackleberry
^^^ Apples and oranges. A 75 watt spider doesnt even begin to compare to a 30 watt tube amp. Nor would a 65 watt crate or any other SS in that wattage range. You couldnt turn the spider up past 5 you wont get to turn a 100 watt tube amp past 5 big difference. The 100 watt tube amp on 7 you will swear somebody is trying to land a B52 bomber in your practice space. So go try some 30, 50 and 100 watt tube amps out then decide. You can always add a cab to a combo but very hard to make a head into a combo.

Yeah, I read about that in one of the stickys. Like I said before, I know little about amps in general. Does anyone care to enlighten me with any amp to get the sound I want, because honestly I have no idea where to start.
Quote by guitarnoob22
Yeah, I read about that in one of the stickys. Like I said before, I know little about amps in general. Does anyone care to enlighten me with any amp to get the sound I want, because honestly I have no idea where to start.

Its not always the best way to form an opinion of something, but try searching for various amps on youtube and watch reviews and demos - then you can start to get an idea of ones that you think you would like and ones that you wouldn't.

It would be best for you if you were able to get out to a store one day and spend the whole day trying out as many different amps as you possibly can.
Quote by enalsisiht
and to the combo/stack thing. i have a 30 1x12 watt tube combo amp that is great. especially on a budget combos are the way to go. however i like the extra air that a 2x12 pushes. you can notice the difference if your ear can pick it up. so i am either getting a 2x12 or 4x12 cab and using the combo as a head, as i like the tone just want to push extra air. it definatly is not necesary though.

This
+1
Is what I plan to do.

Because the half stack does sound a little beefier, there's something about 4 speakers vs. one, BUT I really like the sound of my combo till I can have that sound, and this way, I can have the head and a nice speaker in the same box for hardly more than the head price, and later, when I want that 4x12 and can throw down the money for it, I can toss it under, and run through the speaker in my combo, as well as the 4 underneath. Plus, this way, if I have the combo, I never have to lug my half stack to church, the combo will suffice. :P
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Honestly I prefer the lowend response a 4x12 cabs me over a 2x12 or 1x12. Also a huge majority of combos are open back which sucks for metal. Also most metal albums your hear are all recorded on 4x12 cabs.

Example
Andy Sneaps Backline..
- Krank 4 x 12 with Eminence V30s
- Marshall Bass 4x12
- Marshall Classic 4x12 (x2) Green back cab
- Marshall Standard 4x12 (x2)
- Marshall Vintage 4x12
- Mesa Boogie Cab 4x12 with Celestion V30s

Also throw in the fact i'm running two 120+ wattage heads into one cab a 2x12 just wouldnt cut it. 4x12 cabs have there use's and sound great anywhere, so if you have a need for one get one... Put if you dont have a use for it then your just wasting money, because you should never want say I want a 4x12 cab you should say I need a 4x12. Those two little words (need and want) tell alot about what your going after..
Get what makes you happy. Those of us who argue that having a half stack means having a small penis are just miserable little pukes who have their own issues with their own gear and/or themselves.