Hey guys. So I'm not really in the market for a new guitar at this moment, but I want some ideas for about a year down the road. I have a MIM Strat for bluesy stuff and classic rock, an ESP/LTD EC-500 w/ EMGs for metal and hard rock, and a Seagull Acoustic-Electric for all my acoustic needs.

Now I basically want a good "everything" guitar, which can handle metal, blues, and everything I want to play. I'd imagine my budget would be about $600. What do you guys think would be a good, versatile guitar for me?
Quote by chris024
used or new?

Doesn't really matter. All that matters is that it isn't much over $600
Godin Freeway Classic, Freeway Floyd if you need a double locking trem.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
prs se maybe?
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
maybe a les paul. or a HSS strat or a tele HH custom. your gonna want some humbuckers in it i think to get that high output sound, and you can coil tap(with modification) to get that thin blues sound if you want.
my LTD Mh250 works quite nicely for most genres
the coil tap gives it a nice array of sound
The Godin seems pretty sweet. Would it stay in tune well with the tremolo though?
PRS? maybe a epi SG?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
one of the higher end Epiphone Les Paul, maybe even one of the Ultra's if you can find one
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
one of the higher end Epiphone Les Paul, maybe even one of the Ultra's if you can find one

+1. Ultra II's all the way!
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
i think u need a good everyting amp not guitar. ur two guitars should do everything u need what amp do you have now?
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Are the higher end epiphones really as good as other guitars in that price range?
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
Are the higher end epiphones really as good as other guitars in that price range?

heck yes,

I was gonna recommend a Strat, seems like you should just buy some pedals/or a all genre amp,even pickups...strat are supposed to be super versatile
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Yeah, the strat is really nice for almost all genres. I just feel like I need a fourth guitar that's all around good.

I like that the Epi SG Prophecy has 24 frets, too. What do you think of the Prophecy? Can it work for lighter stuff?
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
The Godin seems pretty sweet. Would it stay in tune well with the tremolo though?

Yes, it does stay in tune very well. I use my tremolo a lot for "diving" into notes and stuff, and I have to tune my guitar hardly 2 times a month.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN

Depends.
The older Elitist models? - Yes.
The current LP Customs? - No, those are blatant ripoffs that are not better than the cheaper Standard LPs and I consider even those overpriced, seeing as the pickups are somewhere between bad and horrible and Epiphone's quality control being iffy. Ibanez, Vintage, Yamaha and many many others make better LP shaped guitars for the same money.

Anyway, I don't see the point in buying yet another intermediate guitar. I don't see how it will improve your tone in any way.

How about this: Save up some money, then sell one of your current electric guitars or both and get yourself a Fender MIA HSS Strat. Eventually you will have to replace the bridge humbucker because not everyone is into the stock Fender humbuckers, but otherwise it's a great guitar that will cover pretty much every genre. That seems like a far better option to me in the long run.

EDIT: You might even be able to get a used Fender MIA for under 600$, so you'd have a great guitar and wouldn't need to sell one of your other guitars.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 21, 2008,
Whoaa, an American Fat Strat for $600? That seems all most too good to be true, even for used. But anyways, I definately could do that and sell my current strat, since I don't see the point in having a MIM Strat and a MIA Strat =P.
Quote by TheQuailman
Depends.
The older Elitist models? - Yes.
The current LP Customs? - No, those are blatant ripoffs that are not better than the cheaper Standard LPs and I consider even those overpriced, seeing as the pickups are somewhere between bad and horrible and Epiphone's quality control being iffy. Ibanez, Vintage, Yamaha and many many others make better LP shaped guitars for the same money.

How current is "current"?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by hell_monkey
How current is "current"?

The Chinese ones. I don't know when exactly the production was moved there from Korea, but it was not too long ago.
LP Customs have always been a little overpriced imo because they've never been any better than Standards. But the Korean ones were really nice at least and therefore still worth the money, while the Chinese ones aren't.
There are some exceptions though. I have encountered one or two Chinese Epis that were good. Still, I have an old Korean Goldtop (from '02) that just blows all the Chinese ones I have played out of the water.
Generally, Epiphones quality seems inconsistent to me now, that's why I'd never buy one without trying it first.
I have seen many guitars with poorly dressed frets, f*cked up electronics and there was even one where the different parts of the body weren't properly matched. One half was thicker than the other. I mean seriously, wtf?

Maybe someone else here knows when exactly the production was moved. Help, anyone?
quailman, i think they moved the production in 04 -05
Epiphone SG w/ EMG 81 - 85 setup
Jackson RR1
line 6 spider 3 15
Line 6 Spider 4 150 2X12 combo
Line 6 FBV EXPRESS Pedal
Peavey Valveking VK100 head ?(TBA)
Yorkville & Rapco patch
Dean Markley Strings