Hey guys, Im Jaymz..ive been a member for years, but this is my first post! =)

Ive got a confession....I havent played my guitar as much as I should have the past few years!

Got a little problem that hopefully u guys (and girls) can help me with =)

One of my older guitars has rust on the pole pieces of the pickups!

Im using a Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz59 at the neck

Is there any way to have these cleaned or even the poles replaced?

Could it harm the pickups in any way, or change the tone?

I do have sweaty hands, and i always wipe before/after and during use with a dry cloth, and I keep the guitar in its hardcase away from the cold and damp, and its been out about once a week for the past year!

Im also experiencing something similar with my EC1000vb (used more than the one above, its my picture), but its not the pickups, its the gold plated machine heads/knobs and bridge pieces!...they seem to have a bubbled effect, is this maybe just from the cheap hardware? and also, what would be best for cleaning the gold plated hardware? This one is also stored in a hardcase, in a non damp environment

Any help would be great!
aaaaaannnnnnddddd, Pinch Harmonic!
Quote by jamesy
(and girls)

haha

you could just replace the pups?

try maybe some really fine steel wool or sandpaper? i don't know
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
i would but it would cost me about £150 to replace the Seymours =(

Would steel wool not harm the pickups? I was thinking it may short out the pole pieces due to the magnatisation of the steel wool rubbing the poles (<<<LOL)
tarnish remover or something? you should like google how to remove rust.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
2002? Holy Christ!!!

If you have a Dremel, try a polishing disc or something..

Haha yea, im what you would call a watcher (of the forums, not kids),

I'd probably need to have the precision of a surgeon 2 pull the dremel thing off lol
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
haha

you could just replace the pups?

try maybe some really fine steel wool or sandpaper? i don't know

FFS, don't do that! You'll destroy them!
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by fantasyh
FFS, don't do that! You'll destroy them!

dont worry I would'nt have done that

Do u think a little bit of silver polish might work? u can get it already on a rag type material. I dont see that harm the magnets

Or maybe some petroleum jelly? hmmmm
Quote by jamesy
dont worry I would'nt have done that

Do u think a little bit of silver polish might work? u can get it already on a rag type material. I dont see that harm the magnets

Or maybe some petroleum jelly? hmmmm

Well, I'm no expert so I'd rather ask your local guitar tech or even a metalworker/blacksmith since cleaning magnets of your pickups it's not exactly the same as taking the rust of you bridge or something like that.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by fantasyh
Well, I'm no expert so I'd rather ask your local guitar tech or even a metalworker/blacksmith since cleaning magnets of your pickups it's not exactly the same as taking the rust of you bridge or something like that.

Im defo thinkin i'll ask my local tech. As you said its easier on a bridge or other non magnetised hardware. I had the same problem with the saddles, but they were strat type saddles so I just replaced them
also, cheers every1 for replying so fast
Quote by jamesy
also, what would be best for cleaning the gold plated hardware?

silver polish. you should be able to get it in Tesco's Adsa etc.
Quote by jamesy

Haha yea, im what you would call a watcher (of the forums, not kids),

I'd probably need to have the precision of a surgeon 2 pull the dremel thing off lol

Nah, just play it like an NHS dentist.
i cleaned some rust off of the top of the magnets on a bc rich humbucker (90s) with some very fine sand paper, not pretty but it worked.

and somehow food or something fell into the humbucker (i was not the owner) and molded. that **** smelled NASTY!!
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
i would recommend a miracle cloth- they work wonders. and if its just superficial rust, which im sure it is, i would not worry about it unless the look bothers you, the tone affect is negligible
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
By polishing the rust away you run the risk of getting small particles of rust inside the pickup which can ultimately cut through the small wires inside the pickup and kill your pickup. A little rust is ok. You could replace the poles but again you risk destroying the pickup when you take it apart. Your best bet is to just leave it.
Not taking any online orders.
haha, don't try to scrape the rust off with a file - that's for sure (voice of expereince)
lol dude you don't dig the fully metal tone =P
jk jk...
My Rig...

Guitars:
2003 Ovation Collectors Series
Custom U.S.A. Parts Strat
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112
Fender Sidekick Reverb 65

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Original Crybaby
Quote by lefthandman9876
you lie, this was not your first post..

No, but it is his first thread which is what he probably meant...

nazi...
Quote by bellerophon
No, but it is his first thread which is what he probably meant...

nazi...

haha yeah thats what i meant :P
Fix'd.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
just cover the plastic with SEVERAL layers of tape and take an exacto to isolate the poles that are rusty. try a metal wire brush. Maybe a drop of acetone via a small cloth or cotton swab or something.
DONT use steel wool, or a metal wire brush! Using these can easily make small particles of metal that can get inside your pickups and possibly short out the coils inside.

If you REALLY need to do it, use silver polish or something. Just be very careful
You can buy some new pole screws and simply replace them. Clicky: http://cgi.ebay.com/Humbucker-Pickup-Pole-Piece-Screws-Nickel-Set-of-6-New_W0QQitemZ110300602693QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

After you have replaced the screws you can heat them up a little with a soldering iron (from underneath) to let the wax around the screws melt and repot. I've done this on several pickups, works like a charm.

After you have replaced the screws, make sure to cover them with some oil (any oil will do). That will sink the rust progression *alot* when you start playing again with your mighty big sweaty strong manly arms.