So,since my house is currently being raped by a massive onslaught of snow I've been playing all my guitars and day dreaming about gear.It dawned on me that if i took my small collection of mid priced and intermediate guitars and sold them I would have enough money to get a dream guitar that I've always wanted.Now I don't mean a 1200-1500 dollar guitar,if I sold all of mine at reasonable prices and combined that with some money I always have set aside for random luxury purchases I'd have JEM/PRS type money.

That being said does this idea make sense to all of you? The way I look at it having one phenomenal instrument beats out having multiple decent guitars.Just looking for some feedback/opinions/and of course suggestions for my new dream machine if I decide to sell my current herd.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Yeah, it makes sense. As long as you get a guitar that can fit all your playing styles. And also be sure that you have a nice amp. You don't want to hook up your dream guitar to a P.O.S. amp!

However it may be hard to part with all your current guitars.
Quote by Slash5992
go for it. but yeah... get a good amp =P

I have a separate fund for replacing my lack luster amp,it's been passable for 4 years but I'm sick of having to tweak more than I play.Most likely I will get a new tube amp around the same time as the new guitar if I decide to go through with the sale.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

if your house is getting raped by snow the offspring will be an igloo
Do it, but sell your amp as well. Then split the money between guitar and amp. Then you don't have a gorgeous guitar and crap amp or vice versa, you have a really nice guitar and a really nice amp.
Yeah i definately think you should do it. get a great amp and guitar but you also need some money left over for pedals.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Rock Pig
Do it, but sell your amp as well. Then split the money between guitar and amp. Then you don't have a gorgeous guitar and crap amp or vice versa, you have a really nice guitar and a really nice amp.

I'm going to basically.Any left over money from the guitar purchase will go to the new amp as will the money from selling my existing amp and the money I'm already saving on the side .I played a JSX recently and really liked the tone and versatility so that's probably what I'll get once I test play it some more and shop around for other amps in that range.

EDIT: At the moment this is what my rig may end up looking like when all is said and done.

- Peavey JSX combo

-Ibanez J custom/PRS of some kind

- A nice new set of pedals

Opinions on this set up?

I know it will be a lot of money but financial crisis or debilitating injury aside I'll be playing guitar for the rest of my life so I figure it makes sense to get gear I can grow old and bitter with.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by -Blue-
If you use alternate tunings, this might be a bad idea. Plus, if you gig, it's nice to have a backup. I'd say keep at least one other one around just in case... other than that, though, by all means, go for it!

I intend to keep at least one of my favorites as a workhorse/back up.Most likely my 540R since it's currently my main guitar.That or my Jackson,depends on which one fits the bill the best I suppose.