Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
overdrive is generally less distortion, more of a crunch sound. distortion is the full on sound with a lot more distortion than OD. where can you not hear the difference?
Overdrive is like a warm clean crunch, but distortion is a... well, distorted signal. It's hard to tell to begin with, but you just know.
Depends what kind of solo'ing you are doing
Gibson Les Paul Studio(Wine Red)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele(White)
Eastwood Sidejack(Amber)
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro: Echo,Tremolo, Octave
Dunlop JH-1B Wah
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ 1x12 cab
Its all to do with the frequencies they give out. But generally OD is a crunchier sound and Distortion is your metal sound.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by worldofwarcraft
so it's best to use distortion for solos?

It depends what kind of solo you are playing. If something heavy and strong use distortion if its bluesy and maybe sounds like a classic rock tone more so, use overdrive.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
For starters, distortion is not CRUSHING

But seriously, Overdrive is like a bit of distortion and more of a punchy sound.
For starters, overdrive was originally obtained through cranking a tube amp, so that the signal overdrives. Distortion is more of a preamp thing.

Overdrive is more to boost the signal, or to overdrive it, creating a slightly, (Or not so slightly) crunchy sound. Distortion is designed to break the signal to the point that it has a heavy, growl to it. Generally speaking, OD is creamier and less heavy, while distortion is rawer and more high gain, and distortion seems to have a more trebly sound to it.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Overdrive is soft clipping (think tubes) and Distortion is hard clipping(think SS Diode clipping)

Thats in guitar terms

In Electronic engineering terms, distortion is any unwanted change to the signal and overdrive is a type of distortion
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
overdrive is the sound from a speaker pushing out to much. think cranked tube amp. distortion is actualy messing with the signal of your sound (i think).
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
overdrive is soft clipping, and distortion is hard clipping - so when you overload the signal, overdrive smoothly rounds off the peaks of the sound wave whereas distortion squares them off.

it's difficult to explain really. but they are different even though they sound similar.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by gstacey1
overdrive is the sound from a speaker pushing out to much. think cranked tube amp. distortion is actualy messing with the signal of your sound (i think).
This is the only post in the whole thread that got it right.

Overdrive is what happens when a tube amp is cranked. It's a natural occurance and is not really an 'effect'. It can be as hard or as subtle as you like, it's only limitation is the sheer total volume the amp can produce.

Distortion is an 'effect'. It is supplied by solid state gain or by items such as pedals and some software in the pre-amp stage. It is artifical. Distortion works by artificially modifying the signal. A stronger signal gets enhanced more than a weak signal, so background noise doesn't become amplified with the actual notes unless you're really pushing it. It can be as hard or as subtle as you like, it can usually be pushed so 'hard' that the sound converts to what is known as the 'wall of noise' effect where all note definition is lost. Though it can be potentially pushed harder than overdrive, distortion doesn't react naturally to playing as overdrive does.

There's also fuzz. That's much the same as distortion, but it pumps up all of the signal equally, rather than selective parts.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.