Hi,
I was concidering buying new stopbar and TOM bridge for my Les Paul guitar. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these :
http://www.thomann.de/gb/tonepros_lpcm02_c_tuneomatic_set_chrome.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_stop_bar.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_bridgesteg_tuneomatic.htm
Also I'd like to hear some comments from people who have changed their hardware on LP type guitars and what did they use for upgrading. And is it worth that money. I have already upgraded it with Seymour pickups, but I want more sustain:P

Right now I'm about to go boil my strings and try the "wrap-aroung" technique I found from the forums.
Ive just fitted a tonepros locking T-O-M and Stoptail to a Les Paul custom for someone and the difference in sustain and clarity of tone was unbelievable.

I though it was a load of bollocks all this locking hardwear stuff. But from now on im not gonna put anything other than Tonepros on any guitars I build in the future because I was that impressed in the improvement.

Boiling your strings and the "wrap around" thing are crap though IMHO.
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Dec 21, 2008,
one thing that helped my sustain when i had a les paul was getting graphite saddles. http://www.graphtech.com/
there is a noticeable difference, and less string wear/ breakage at the bridge. i highly recommend.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Boiling strings wont do anything for sustain it was used in the old days to get more time out of a set of strings, modern days its pointless for guitars. Dont know if the wrap around trick has any effect on sustain I just like how it plays that way and I break less strings. Never wanted to pay the cash for a tonepro bridge. Looking at it the only difference is the set screw. Doesnt look to hard to drill and tap a gotoh bridge I have to convert it to this, also keep the bridge from falling off when I change strings.
Quote by jscustomguitars
Ive just fitted a tonepros locking T-O-M and Stoptail to a Les Paul custom for someone and the difference in sustain and clarity of tone was unbelievable.

I though it was a load of bollocks all this locking hardwear stuff. But from now on im not gonna put anything other than Tonepros on any guitars I build in the future because I was that impressed in the improvement.

Boiling your strings and the "wrap around" thing are crap though IMHO.

Thanks for the comments. Yea, I know that boiling won't help to improve the sustain, I'm just doing it because I wanna test this wraparound thing for the first time(I don't have much faith in it anyway) and since I have to take all the strings off for that, I might aswell get some dirt off them by boiling them.
Would anyone else share their experience with changing the hardware?
Do you think the type of metal makes a difference in a hardtail bridge sustain-wise?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Do you think the type of metal makes a difference in a hardtail bridge sustain-wise?

Yeah, I think so. Im not sure about types of metals but densities make a difference IMO. If you feel the weight of a cheap ass Stop tail and T-O-M its REALLY heavy compared to old Gibson ones. I find the lighter ones to have a much nicer sound. . . .
js do you have any samples of before and after with the tonepro hardware? and also do you have experience with the gibson hardware mentioned above?
Dont have any before and after, no. Did it then gave it back straight away.

The first time I did it was from taking the Gibbo hardwear off and putting Tonepros on.