So I just watched some video's of people doing this on youtube and i've got some question.

1. Do you need any extra effects(I.E. delay, overdrive)

2. Can you like actually sing into like sing a verse with it.

thanks in advance.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Pickups are magnetic. They will NOT react with your voice. Whoever you saw do this was pulling your leg.
Steve Vai, Steve Vai's bassist and Paul Gilbert do it. Think its their voice making the strings vibrate, I don't know but its cool.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Quote by Matt420740
Pickups are magnetic. They will NOT react with your voice. Whoever you saw do this was pulling your leg.

+2
maybe, seems unlikely but ive never seen the video
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
pull a hendrix then edit it so it seems like your talking
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
If you blow on the strings you can make them vibrate so yelling could do the same but your pickups will not pick up your voice (and the strings only vibrate to the note you fret, not the frequency of your voice).
Quote by Matt420740

I think they are reverse electro magnets which pick-up the movement of the metal in the strings and create an electrical signlal out of it. The air moving over the strings or even some characterist of active pick-ups might make it possible.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Your voice wont be picked up. but if you make the strings vibrate then they will be picked up. it wont sound like what your singing tho. If your very clever you can sing the part but fret the melody.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
i think it would work if you rest your adam's apple on the strings since your vocal cords have to vibrate at different pitches to create speech. You would probably need a really high volume to detect it though
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
make sure your lips are pressed to the strings, and talk/sing really loudly. it works. i can do it with my epiphone LP standard with no modifications. also, you can press the strings to your throat, and that will work, too.
Right on man thanks people i'm gonna go try it.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Last edited by Sound_Garden_X at Dec 21, 2008,
If you put your throat against the strings, it will pick it up. I mean, it doesn't sound like your singing into a mic, but it is recognizable as words.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Hell yes, I've done it.

But it only picks up the frequencies of ur voice that are in the range of the pickups.

Why do people think it doesn't work. Your voice isn't magic, it's only air that vibrates.
We humans made a complex communication device from it, but still it's based on a very primitive method.

Some guitars the effect works better, and other's it doesn't. It also depends on ur voice type and on the pickups.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Matt420740

Claudio Sanchez does it in The Final Cut on The Last Supper and Paul Gilbert does it at the end of Get Out of My Yard.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
I don't know how it works, but with single coils I can put the earphones from my mp3 player next to them and play the music (albeit with bad sound quality) through the amp.
Pickups do NOT react to vocals. Just like I said above. Pickups are MAGNETIC, and your voice is not. Now, you can make the strings vibrate with your voice, but the TS was talking about singing into the pickups. Which cannot be done. If you understood how pickups work you would know that.
What about piezo pickups?
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
Quote by Matt420740
Pickups do NOT react to vocals. Just like I said above. Pickups are MAGNETIC, and your voice is not. Now, you can make the strings vibrate with your voice, but the TS was talking about singing into the pickups. Which cannot be done. If you understood how pickups work you would know that.

This is true. The sound from ur voice is the echo of the pickup cavity (underneath the scratchplate) reacting with the vibrations of the string and pups.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Matt420740

The vocals in the first verse of Make Yourself by Incubus was recorded through guitar pickups. On one of their DVD's it has footage of them recording it. And I've done it myself years ago on a crapy little Squire Bullet Strat
Quote by Matt420740

You need to consider the source of the sound. Are the strings magnetic? What if I use nylon strings... they can't be magnetic, or can they? It doesn't matter what the source of the sounds is as long as the output is same.
The A string vibrates at 440Hz frequency. The pickup and the strings do not touch each other directly so air between the strings (the same air we breathe) also vibrates at 440Hz. If you can make a sound at the same frequency (440Hz) and the same pitch with your mouth, why wouldn't the pickups pick that exact same sound? This is how I see it but maybe someone with more knowledge in sound waves can correct my explanation.
Quote by Matt420740

Go look up Pual Gilberts Video for Get out my yard... That's what he does, plus I've seen other people do live before...
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Quote by skeleb
You need to consider the source of the sound. Are the strings magnetic? What if I use nylon strings... they can't be magnetic, or can they? It doesn't matter what the source of the sounds is as long as the output is same.
The A string vibrates at 440Hz frequency. The pickup and the strings do not touch each other directly so air between the strings (the same air we breathe) also vibrates at 440Hz. If you can make a sound at the same frequency (440Hz) and the same pitch with your mouth, why wouldn't the pickups pick that exact same sound? This is how I see it but maybe someone with more knowledge in sound waves can correct my explanation.

You think an electric guitar hums because the air around it is also humming?
never tried it, but I'm sure it works because at band practice a lot of times we'll stick a cellphone up to the pickups to listen to music lol. works the best on basses
ever heard the beginning of dead and bloated by s.t.p.? thats weiland singing into a les paul.
Quote by skeleb

Pickups work by picking up the disturbance in the magnetic field created by a vibrating string. If pickups could register your voice, you would get constant noise from all sorts of frequencies, including your voice, whether aimed at the pickups or not.
Man.. Some people really have to learn some physics :S

Pickups are magnetic, like Cyberbob said. What happens is the following; A string vibrates and causes a magnetic flux, this induces an electrical current in the coil of the pickup which then goes through your guitar cable.

Singing into your pickup is BS! However, you CAN make a string vibrate at a certain frequency, by using your voice. Obviously this will create a different effect than picking/fretting the string.
Quote by Matt420740

How do you think microphones work then?
Quote by Aetius
Man.. Some people really have to learn some physics :S

Pickups are magnetic, like Cyberbob said. What happens is the following; A string vibrates and causes a magnetic flux, this induces an electrical current in the coil of the pickup which then goes through your guitar cable.

Singing into your pickup is BS! However, you CAN make a string vibrate at a certain frequency, by using your voice. Obviously this will create a different effect than picking/fretting the string.

Christ, you guys need to stop being so pedantic. No, the pickups are not actually picking up your voice, but chill out. It still works.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Christ, you guys need to stop being so pedantic. No, the pickups are not actually picking up your voice, but chill out. It still works.

+1

yea, it's not picking up the sound waves like a mic, but it still works, try it before you make a douche out of yourself.
How do you think microphones work then?

lolololol!!!

Microphones have a membrane, pickups don't!

No, it's important that people are told the truth. If people start talking BS about subjects of which they know nothing, then it's necessary for people who DO know to rectify that information.
Regardless of whats happening, shouting into a pickup does work...many people have already talked about Vai and Gilbert etc so I wont go any further. If anyone doesnt believe that they pick up the sound play music through your phone and hold it over the pickups as someone else already suggested. The music will amplify through your amp.
Andy
Quote by Aetius
No, it's important that people are told the truth. If people start talking BS about subjects of which they know nothing, then it's necessary for people who DO know to rectify that information.

I think the point being made was that a lot of this thread was rather pedantic flaming. I'm not accusing you of this but that was my interpretation
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa_fGxjxkjc

For all you none believers, skip to about 4:40. The audio is out of synch with the video but he speaks into the pick ups and its clearly audible.

I've done it myself and it works, works best with active pick-ups.
Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
Regardless of whats happening, shouting into a pickup does work...many people have already talked about Vai and Gilbert etc so I wont go any further. If anyone doesnt believe that they pick up the sound play music through your phone and hold it over the pickups as someone else already suggested. The music will amplify through your amp.
Andy

its the strings not the pickup. using another sound device to run through your pickups is a bit dif considering all speakers contain magnets heh. take off the strings of the guitar and only use the pickup and tell me it still works. like other have said before, you can vibrate a string using your voice because of frequencies. for instance, if you were to take a plastic cup of water, and sing into the side of the cup (so no one says its the air from you breathing on it lol) you will see the water ripple. another test you can do for this is to take an empty whine glass and put a straw in it. as you sing, the straw will begin to bounce off the edges. strings do the same thing. then from there the pickups "pick up" the magnetic field and amplify that through your amp.
Its the moving air your vox are generating moving the string, and the vibration being captured & amplified by the pickups.

Its the same principle as the ancient greek instrument, the aeolian harp- a set of strings over a hollowed box with a soundboard (essentially an accoustic guitar without a neck or frets).

The instrument is placed somewhere a wind will catch the strings and make them vibrate, much like it would do for wind-chimes.

You can do the same thing- as I have done- playing outside on a windy day. While facing into the teeth of the wind, hold your guitar parallel to the ground (strings facing the sky). You'll be rewarded with a continuous sustaning drone (without any attack) of whatever chord you're shaping at the time.

Similarly, you can do essentially the same thing humming or singing if your chin is in firm contact with the neck or the backside of the guitar (to ensure transference of the vibratory energy).

I checked out some of the videos linked to in this thread- for the most part, its impossible to see exactly what the performers are doing- they could be playing with their teeth, a la Jimi Hendrix, for instance.

However, its pretty clear (to me, at least) that in the Sigur Ros vid, the eerie vocals are continuing after the whole guitar-to-the-face sequence. I bet the vox were on some kind of loop while the player was using either the breathing or teeth techniques to play.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 24, 2008,