hey I'm looking for a nice new amp I have about 600$. If this is no good what other amps should I check out?
Its a good amp
but we need specifics
what do you play,
how loud do you need it...
there are better for 600
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I have a Gibson les Paul.

My fav bands are metallics, maiden, megadeth, Zeppelin, gnr, and other classic rock and metal.

Loudness is not an issue I'm looking for sound.

Right now I'm on a Marshall mg30dfx which sucks so I'm looking to upgrade
My friend has a Windsor, and its very versatile, and very LOUD. The Windsor would be a good choice for anything except really high gain applications. And a good boost pedal will fix that problem
As long as you don't need to be able to swtich to a clean sound much, then yes. I traded mine away and I really wish I hadn't. For any "British metal" sound, this is the amp.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
i prefer a B-52 if you are playing metal
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
the answer would be a stern. NO. save up, buy a better amp, then purchase a tubescreamer and win.
I'd be a very good fit for your classic rock leanings, as well as Maiden and Megadeth.
Eh...the Windsor has some quality issues. It has decent sound quality, but nothing amazing. Maybe they've fixed the problems with them breaking down (I don't know) but my friend couldn't keep one working. Hardly any clean, but that might not bother you at all. I'd look used for something better.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
windsor is a good amp for GNR and classic thrash it would be great also If you can find a laney AOR combo it would be even better and probably cheaper
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Is it too loud to play at home? I have heard that you have to get tubes at a certain level before they sound good. Is that level too high for house playing?
You don't have to crank a tube amp for it to sound good, that's a misconception. Now, tube amps do tend to sound better at higher volumes.

The windsor breaks up pretty early, but that being said, it's still a 100 watt head and certainly not optimal for bedroom practice. I've heard nothing but bad things about the combos so I'd steer clear, the head isn't too bad that, definitely does that JCM thing pretty well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
It depends if you're using the combo or the head. The Windsor head is completely different from the combo and its much better sounding. But I've heard that it has very low headroom, so be prepared to use your volume knob for cleans.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
If you are going to get one, the head is much better than the combo as stradivari310 said. I'd get it with a 212 cab or something, not the half stack. It will be slightly loud for the bedroom, but still usable.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
If you do go for it, MF has a half stack package for $500 (The head alone normally costs $400) http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-All-Tube-Half-Stack?sku=485059
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Personally, I really liked the Windsor when I tried it. Poor mans JCM. Hope you don't want cleans, though.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I've briefly tried one, sounded a little weak to me, doesn't have the balls of a JCM800. Maybe I needed to spend some more time tuning it in but that was just from 5-10 minutes of diddling around on one.