Poll: Which amp should I get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp should I get?
Kustom HV100
20 95%
Marshall MG100DFX
0 0%
Marshall MG100HDFX
1 5%
Voters: 21.
Im considering 3 different amps, and I want peoples opinions on which to get.

Heres my first choice. The Kustom High Voltage 100.
http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=2&FamilyID=77&ProductID=76&Tab=0
I particuarlly like the range on the effects. Cost $600

Second is Marshall MG100DFX
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productId=38
This seems to have a nice sound, and Marshall has the reputation it does for a reason. Cost $470.

Also im thinking of getting this instead, the Marshall MG100HDFX
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productId=39
Its exactly the same as the Marshall MG100DFX, its just a half stack instead. Thats the only real difference. Cost $600.

The thing about the different Marshalls is I think the half-stack has a real image to it, but the regular full map would be much easier to transport.

What would you get? And please explain why?
TS answer these following questions:
are you a bedroom player?
what is your budget?
what genres do you play?
any specific band?
can you go used?
tube or SS?

mg haters are going to flame you for picking an MG
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Dec 21, 2008,
I would go with the kustom. I'm not an MG hater just because its cool, they're just not worth the money.
they all suck hard.
at that price you could get a nice tube amp or even a good tube amp if your willing to go second hand.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
what is your budget?
what genres?
any specific band?
can you go used?

mg haters are going to flame you for picking an MG

I like classic rock bands. Led Zeppelin is my biggest inspiration. I also like Aerosmith, Queen, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath bands of that sort. I like the old 60's Doors style as well as the Heavy Iron Maiden and Metallica sounds.
Id prefer new, but I would settle for used.
As for budget, Im currently saving my money, and my christmas money will be a good start. Im willing to wait to save the extra 150 for the Kustom or the Half-stack, so it doesnt make a big difference to me.
Quote by Strider7
I like classic rock bands. Led Zeppelin is my biggest inspiration. I also like Aerosmith, Queen, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath bands of that sort. I like the old 60's Doors style as well as the Heavy Iron Maiden and Metallica sounds.
Id prefer new, but I would settle for used.
As for budget, Im currently saving my money, and my christmas money will be a good start. Im willing to wait to save the extra 150 for the Kustom or the Half-stack, so it doesnt make a big difference to me.

Peavey Classic 30 w/ OD?
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Quote by Bpags868
Peavey Classic 30 w/ OD?

+1
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
TS, do you play in your bedroom or do you play gigs? If you don't play gigs, a halfstack will be too loud and a waste of money. How many watts do you need?
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
Last edited by Bpags868 at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by Bpags868
TS, do you play in your bedroom or do you play gigs? I f you don't play gigs, a halfstack will be too loud and a waste of money. How many watts do you need?

Im currently in a band that practices once every 2 weeks or so. Ive been playing for 2 years and I believe ill be playing for the rest of my life. I have an Epiphone Les Paul and im looking for a good amp to last me for basically the rest of high school and college.
Ive played a few gigs, laregest crowd was about 200 people.

Ive also been looking at smaller versions of these amps, but i figure ill just save up longer and get something bigger and to lst me for a longer time.
^ you don't necessarily need something bigger, you just need something better, which is easily possible with your budget. the traynor ycv50blue i mentioned below can be had for $650.

the mg might have the image but it sounds like total ass. also when you get up close you're realise that the image is a poor imitation of the more expensive marshalls.

i haven't tried the kustom, but i doubt it's amazing.

for the stuff you play i'd get something like a traynor ycv50. I haven't tried the 50, but the 40 and 20 are nice, and from what i hear, the 50 is more aimed at the tones you're after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If it has to be one of those 3 then go with the Kustom. I just sold a MG100HDFX half stack its not worth the money. It doesn't necessarily sound horrible but it's definitely not worth the $600. I will have to take a guess and say the same for the MG100 combo.
Ok, not that im disagreeing, i just want to know. Why does most of UG hate the MGs so much? it sounded really good to me, and majority of the reviews ive read are good.
The MG halfstack model is:

Overpriced
Unreliable
Ugly (IMHO)
and most importantly, it sounds bad.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Bpags868
If you don't play gigs, a halfstack will be too loud and a waste of money.

I don't play gigs, and I have 2!

I say, go for the Classic 30 + OD idea.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't hate the MGs I just realized that for the $600 I could have bought something better. I think a lot of people on here overstate their hatred for them, and many of them I think just go along with the crowd. I owned one and grew to dislike it, the overdrive channel just didn't sound all that great but if you use the clean channel with some pedals it sounded alright, but again not worth the $600. And in the case of the half stack the MG412 cab is built horribly, its undersized and built from particle board.

In case you are wondering why I bought it to begin with, about 10 years ago I had given up playing and gotten rid of all my gear, and then a couple years ago I realized that I wanted to play again. So I went to Guitar Center to buy a new guitar and amp. They were just about to close so I didn't have much time to play it but figured its a Marshall it can't be bad, well that feeling went away the more I played it.
Last edited by Demigawd at Dec 21, 2008,
od + classic 30 or traynor ycv40 + od
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Quote by Bpags868
Peavey Classic 30 w/ OD?

YYYYYYYup. +X^Y.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
+1 to whoever said Traynor YCV40 or 50 Blue
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Peavey Classic 30 +Overdrive pedal is def better.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I play mostly classic rock as well and I just recently purchased a Traynor YCV50 Blue after testing out several amps including the Peavey Classic 30. The Classic 30 by the way is a very nice amp, but I choose to go with the Traynor instead (personal choice based on tone).

By the way, my Traynor 50 is VERY loud. You can still use for bedroom level volume, but it can go really loud if you want it to.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer