hi...

i play guitar for 3 years and i have my electric one since 3-4 months... my problem is: i prefer the sound of my guitar without amp

my equip: ltd ec 200 qm guitar and an ibanez valbee high gain tube amp

everything like i bought it... i don´t know much about modding or stuff like that...

when i played metallica stuff everything was ok (i did it the first 2-3 weeks) and finger picking stuff too

but now my favorite band is Lamb of God (i´m able to "play" a few riffs...) and my favorite guitarist is of course will adler.... yeah and i just don´t get near their sound

i mean the sound of their album sacrament...

My question:
should i already upgrade my pick ups to emg 60/81 (is it possible?)
has anyone advice for the setting of my amp?
should i get some pedal/effects or pre amp distortion or something?

i don´t know much about it... i didn´t find something about this in other threads...

i want this sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6pkJ-p6kGc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgswxjg67wM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99NjqDgqhTg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBGexx9zuvs the only song i am able to play but it sounds like crap

my gear:
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ec.html
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/amp_series.php?series_id=96&area_id=3&year=2008&cat_id=5
i never heard of an ibanez valvee amp
i think you should buy a new amp or a pre amp distortion
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
get a nice distortion pedal. as for amp settings, i have never used an ibanez tube amp, so its hard to tell how much bass you will get if i tell you to put the bass at about 7, but for a really heavy sound you would probably want to scoop the mids, which means having the bass and the treble fairly high, but cutting out the mids. only, when you play live dont do this.... cause you wont hear anything... but it will sound cool when your practising.

as for the distortion pedal, just look around and try a few out. i used to own the danelectro liquid metal, and that was seriously good sounding... i now have a better amp, so i didnt really need it, but yeah, try it out. i now have a boss mega distortion, and thats decent enough, and delivers less gain when set right, so... really just try everything you can get your hands on.

i hope thats some help.
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
****... 200 euro -.- for an crap amp sorry i meant valbee it´s a 5 watt tube amp i play on ca 20% volume and you don´t understand someone talking next to you

main problem is that i can´t get pinch harmonics from the low strings and that the simpel rythms on low d string sound not that epic

any precise advice wich pre amp distortion is nice?

or setting advice?
well i don´t and won´t gig... and i tried the thing with scooping the middles... the sound got simply muddy and not that sharp i tried different settings last weeks and finally i got middles to maximum and treble around 75% bass even to - 50%
lamb of god's tone is pretty dry, meaning they don't use a lot of gain. if your amp has the gain up pretty high try turning it down; it worked for me.
Pinch harmonics are all about technique. The reason low string riffage doesn't sound good is because you have a small amp with a small transformer, which means you don't have great bass response.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yeah the funny thing is if i do the artificial harmonics with "muting" with my middle finger it sounds like it should (or not like without muting...)
your tiny 6.5" speaker is the deal breaker i'd say Dont worrry about buying a pedal of some sort, really wont do you that much. Get somehting with at least one 12" speaker. This will sound fuller and less "boxy" than your present amp. For your style, the bugera 2x12 combos would be a nice and fairly cheap option.
And maybe you really need to get more volume. I personally never get a satisfying result at bedroom levels. Consequently I practice with headphones in my apartment, and practice at loud volumes in our rehersal room.

AND as you havent played electric that long, and your used to the response you get from an acoustic, so some of your problems is in your technique. It could be that you have problems with the immense amounts of gain suddenly thrown at you. Suddenly you have to get your right hand and you fretting hand used to some serious muting for the strings your not playing, or you will find notes ringing into the next ones for soloing/riffing over a moderate pace. Especially right hand palm muting is a nessecary trick for any metal gain level.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
thanks man, i thought about what you´ve mentioned, and i try to improve this. the last weeks i was just doing triplets on open d-string with palm muting for hours... now i can do them pretty good but it´s sound is... well... so ... the opposite of sharp and agrressive ^^ sorry for my bad english i´m german ^^
5 watt amp? No wonder. Get a brand new amp. A modelling amp or if you can afford it a peavey valveking or a decent halfstack.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
5 watt amp? No wonder. Get a brand new amp. A modelling amp or if you can afford it a peavey valveking or a decent halfstack.

Why would he need a half stack? He's looking to get his tone right... not look like a guitar magazine ad.

You'd be best served with a 1x12 or 2x12 combo. Even a head with a 2x12 cab would be sweet. Half stack is a little ridiculous for playing at home unless you did plan on gigging with a 100W head or something that would require a lot of power handling.
Last edited by TubeAmpGuy at Dec 22, 2008,
i don´t have the money to buy a new amp help! i hate it -.- i tried hours now but in fact i didn´t find any setting that fits my style ... now i´m playing a clean setting
Well Mark form LOG definetly doent scoop his mids (He has some really werid set up where he has 2 seperate Mesa boogle half stacks, one for mids and one for treb and bass or somthing ****ed up)

try boosting your mids and aiming for more power tube distortion (should "smooth out" your tone, thats what small tube amps are for , dammit!)
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by nickbob00
Well Mark form LOG definetly doent scoop his mids (He has some really werid set up where he has 2 seperate Mesa boogle half stacks, one for mids and one for treb and bass or somthing ****ed up)

try boosting your mids and aiming for more power tube distortion (should "smooth out" your tone, thats what small tube amps are for , dammit!)

So then he does scoop his mids, he just uses another amp to fill in the mids to make his tone cut.

For bedroom jamming scooping probably wouldn't hurt.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Sort of, but my best attempts to get a LOG tone have been through boosting my mids, But I cant stand muddyness (I want to hear if im playing wrong), but im running thru a Rage 158 (SS with 8 inch speaker) so always a little muddy.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
if your amp's tone isn't cutting it like mine was, I just play unplugged most of the time. when i get the chance to plug into a buddy's amp it's always fun, and start saving!!
thanks guys now i´m playin with treble/middle max and bass -50% and 5 gain souns real sharp and i put the third knob on my guitar to max but i don´t know what it really changed, but sounds like some kind of distortion and i use the other pick up ( don´t know wich cause i never find something that explains my guitar to me in the net... )