hey guys, i have been thinking about buying a peavey 6505 head and a marshall 1960a cab, but the price is a bit more than i would like. i have had a look at some other heads (peaveys) and they look almost as good and half the price. should i save for the 6505 or consider a different head?

i play metal so i would like something loud, crunchy and good distortion, with ok cleans.

thanks guys
go used
or an XXX
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Laney GH50L? Seeing as you're based in the UK...
Also try and get a 1960AV, because it has Vintage 30s. Or just a 2x12, you don't really need a 4x12.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
valveking100?

This is the second time I've seen you recommend a valveking... they're not that good, and they're definitely not the best for metal.

I also recommend the 6505. Try an Avatar cab, they're cheaper.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I personally HATE valvekings.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Used 5150, same amp, half the price.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
dude all i know is that any firggen head sounds good through any 1960 marshall cabs, even my crap MG head sounds like its tube comming though a lead cab
(signature removed, please choose another)
Quote by player o slayer
dude all i know is that any firggen head sounds good through any 1960 marshall cabs, even my crap MG head sounds like its tube comming though a lead cab

No.

As somone said before, only get the 1960av if you're going 5150/6505, the speakers in the others sound naff with that amp.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Do you need a half stack?

I got a '91 5150 head and a modded Marshall 1936 cab for about £800 off ebay so it is possible.

A better option would be to look at a combo though tbh.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Do you need a half stack?

I got a '91 5150 head and a modded Marshall 1936 cab for about £800 off ebay so it is possible.

A better option would be to look at a combo though tbh.

i dont need a half stack no, but they give more options and are easier to transport. im just looking for something loud and crunchy and i heard that 6505's were perfect but they're a little out of my price range

there's a shop near where i live that sell both the valveking and the valveking cab for a total of £489, which i could buy straight after christmas.
Last edited by Random3 at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by Random3
i dont need a half stack no, but they give more options and are easier to transport. im just looking for something loud and crunchy and i heard that 6505's were perfect but they're a little out of my price range

Both those points are debatable, but whatever.

The 5150 is the exact same amp as the 6505, but go for a lot cheaper so I'd look for one of them and a 2x12.

Maybe look at some Bugera's or Randalls as well.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
No.

As somone said before, only get the 1960av if you're going 5150/6505, the speakers in the others sound naff with that amp.
Bull****. I'm sick of hearing opinions stated as facts. Especially regarding the whole 5150's sound bad with 1960 cabs. Totally bogus information.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
He can't get an Avatar becuase he lives in the UK.
Why does everyone say that? At least look on his profile to see where he's from... I stated it above as well.
Try and find a used 6505, or the Laney like I said above. It's what Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth uses, and Bill Kelliher from Mastodon. 2x12 cabs are cheaper so I'd say get one of them... 4x12 is just hassle.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by Van Noord
Bull****. I'm sick of hearing opinions stated as facts. Especially regarding the whole 5150's sound bad with 1960 cabs. Totally bogus information.

+1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC3mIyqHzT4
It's a modded one, but still.

EDIT: threadstarter, why not just go for a 2x12 instead?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Van Noord

Calm down.

Ok I'll reword it.

They sound mediocre, especially when compared to a cab with decent speakers.

The speakers in the cab do not suit that amp when compared to others.

Quote by aznrockerdude
+1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC3mIyqHzT4
It's a modded one, but still.

EDIT: threadstarter, why not just go for a 2x12 instead?

And how do you know that's through a 1960a cab?

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Calm down.

Ok I'll reword it.

They sound mediocre, especially when compared to a cab with decent speakers.

The speakers in the cab do not suit that amp when compared to others.

And how do you know that's through a 1960a cab?

Check the comments. JerryP (the guy who mods for FJA) sometimes posts on Harmony Central, and I remember him saying that he liked those speakers...

EDIT: what about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-if8ePBzdU
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
nonononononononono

do NOT get that cab, seriously... it'll make it sound terrible

Get one with vintage 30's

I made the mistake of getting the 1960a cab v.v
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Quote by aznrockerdude
Check the comments. JerryP (the guy who mods for FJA) sometimes posts on Harmony Central, and I remember him saying that he liked those speakers...

EDIT: what about this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-if8ePBzdU

Fair enough.

But now listen to ones through like a Mesa Cab or an Orange, and you'll see why everyone recommends a different cab to the 1960a.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Fair enough.

But now listen to ones through like a Mesa Cab or an Orange, and you'll see why everyone recommends a different cab to the 1960a.

I know they sound awesome, but that's not a good reason for people to trash talk those who have 1960A's...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by stradivari310
This is the second time I've seen you recommend a valveking... they're not that good, and they're definitely not the best for metal.

I also recommend the 6505. Try an Avatar cab, they're cheaper.

+1

I played the combo version of the VK100 2x12 if its any same and it wasnt.... tubelike. I am sorry to say it, i mean I know it was full tube and yes it could do metal if your a metallica person with the gain boost function. It sounded... well the distortion was okay, but it reminded me of a SS trying to get to the tube area. It had tube qualities in a way but really sounded SS'ish. Now I did play the 6505+ there is no freakin head better then that. Some may disagree with me but for metal thts the holy grail.
I got my 5150 II for $850....which is a pretty good price. I totally recommend it. If you can find any deal for 5150, 5150 II, 6505, etc..... go for it 100 % and I think you've got the right idea for that cabinet
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Quote by ravenrage07
+1

I played the combo version of the VK100 2x12 if its any same and it wasnt.... tubelike. I am sorry to say it, i mean I know it was full tube and yes it could do metal if your a metallica person with the gain boost function. It sounded... well the distortion was okay, but it reminded me of a SS trying to get to the tube area. It had tube qualities in a way but really sounded SS'ish. Now I did play the 6505+ there is no freakin head better then that. Some may disagree with me but for metal thts the holy grail.

Yup the reason for that is when the gain boost is engaged it activates a diode clipping circuit for more gain. Only way around that tone is cranking the amp so the warmth of the power tubes over comes the diode clipping or not engaging it and running a od/clean boost pedal infront of the amp.

And to the TS if you are even thinking about going with a 6505 stay far away from the VK it sounds nothing like it nor is it an amp designed for metal. Its a flat tonal range amp that is a jack of all trades but not great at any one thing. The 6505 is a proven amp that is great at a number of things. If you were just playing blues I would say sure you dont need a 6505 but for metal you should go with it.

Also you should be able to pickup a used combo for pretty cheap and just slap some new speakers in there and your good to go. Also I prefer pretty much any speaker (in retrospect lol meaning any other speaker known for metal) besides the G12T-75's for a 6505. That said its probably because i'm a low volume player and a speaker that tends to be fizzy on the top end anyway mixed with an amp that tends to be fizzy at lower volumes dont mess to well in my opinion. My cab is loaded with G12T-75's and Classic Lead 80's and its a night and day when I swap from one to the other. With any amp in fact all my peaveys hated G12T-75's.
Do not get a valveking. Be patient and save up for a 6505. Nothing sounds better than my 6505 to me and I have owned quite a few amps. Right now I own a JSX, Bugera 333xl, and 3 6505's with one original 5150. Everytime I stray away from the 6505 I always end up right back with it. It's my baby and it's a tank. It has the most pissed off metal tone I have ever heard. The valveking is weak... The bugera is better than a valveking.
Quote by hoondog
engl

i wouldn't go engl over a 6505. A powerball or fireball just isn't as brutal as a 6505 and it's over compressed.
Quote by jambi_mantra
No.

lol, i love how i said MG so im naturally wrong XD
(signature removed, please choose another)