Alternate picking versus down picking!!! The reason I ask is because I've only been playing guitar for about a year! I can play stuff like AC/DC and some Metallica ok, including solo's, I have started to improve my alternate picking, but someone told me play down picking if you can, as it will improve your speed quicker! Is this correct? Should I concentrate on improving my Alternate picking or try to play down picking!!! Any advice is appreciated.
It'll do wonders for your stamina and will give you the right tone for all those metal songs but you should really practice both: downpicking can only be used so much and ALL guitarists need solid alternate picking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Work to gain speed with both methods. Straight down picking sounds heavier, but being good at alternate picking will never hurt you. Also, Hybrid picking! Mix the two together.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It'll do wonders for your stamina and will give you the right tone for all those metal songs but you should really practice both: downpicking can only be used so much and ALL guitarists need solid alternate picking.

+1
Practise both.

My downpicking speed sucks

Alternate picking's alright though
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by stratdud39
down picking-thrash metal, other metal, rythm parts and riffs ect.
alternate- soloing, playing fast for anything but metal
down picking gives youmore of a metal tone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIPVlErQIlg
Try downpicking the intro. You can't, can you?
Quote by Gregoric
Practise both.

My downpicking speed sucks

Alternate picking's alright though

Same here. I can do MOP decently but anyone can tell that my alternate picking is a lot better.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Yeah I used alternate picking in tremolo picking before I figured out how to utilize it to play fast. So basically I did nothing but work on down picking until like 6-8 months ago. Yes it's good to develop both, and I can downpick all of master of puppets (except the solo obviously) I'd say I have a fair bit of stamina
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Thanks all for the reply's much appreciated, when I try to now to alternate pick solo's i know, such as "highway to hell" AC/DC, "smells like teen spirit" Nirvana, and they few other easy-ish ones I know, I'm all over the place! Because I've learned to them with down picks and can play them spot on down picking. I suppose it will come in time,
You should alternate pick as much as possible. The only advantage of just down picking everything is that you get a different tone when palm muting or playing chords. Anything with a decent amount of speed though and you should alternate pick. As far as playing solos though you should definitely alternate pick as much as possible. If your alternate picking you can play twice as fast while doing the same amount of work as if you where just down picking.
Sig What?
Quote by MRWHITE35
I suppose it will come in time,

It will come with practice and time, neither will work on it's own.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Some will say only alt picking no matter what I know petrucci is one. For AC/DC your gonna do alot better learning alt picking. Alot of metalica doesnt sound right alt picked. I use both depends on what Im playing and what Im trying to sound like. If you learn good solid alt picking you can always use downpicking. But if you only learn downpicking not so easy to switch into alt picking.
Quote by Tackleberry
Some will say only alt picking no matter what I know petrucci is one.

Actually Petrucci willingly admits that you want to downpick sometimes, for certain tones in certain riffs. And he downpicked the Metallica covers they did as far as I know.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Go for a mixture,balance is the key.

I personally incorporate different picking styles depending on what the particular piece calls for and most guitarists do this.Some things just sound better down picked like heavy chords and aggressive single notes but when a faster and more fluid sound is needed or patterns that down picking just can't cover are used you should alternate pick.Blend the two when you're playing depending on what the situation calls for and what sound you want,but above all get good at both since they are both vital for any guitarist who uses a pick.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I only alternate pick, cause it's how I was taught the day I started playing.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Both are equally important.

Alternating is very good with shred (some will start to argue that it's not the only thing in the world ), fast solo's, basically a lot of fast stuff.
Downpicking sounds very aggressive, basically 'Masters-of-Puppets'-aggressive. Use it with palm muting, and it's king. Also, it can sound really good (again: aggressive) in more bluesy stuff, like runs with heavy rakes and hard hits.
i think ill do both, a lot of both!!! i know my alternate pick needs work as i've only down picked untill the last month or so, sure it will come with time.