Does he measure up by today's standards? Back in the day, he was teh ****, but now?
Quote by afrika18
Does he measure up by today's standards? Back in the day, he was teh ****, but now?

Maybe not on the technicality (I guess he still has his part, though), but I don't think there was anyone back then that was as technically good as some of the most technical players that are around now.
His song writing is still really original though, I think.
Well... could YOU take him? COULD YA!?

The guy is a classically trained powerhouse. I'd say yeah. He'd still rock socks if he was in his prime today.

Now... The Guy From Lynyrd Skynyrd? >:3
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
Of course. He has and always will be the $hit.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
No I couldn't take him. He was plenty fast and if he'd lived till now, I've no doubt he'd be just as fast if not faster than the fastest shredders today.
Quote by afrika18

yes without a doubt. he would destroy the man was only 20 odd when he died soo he still hadnt been playing for ages and he was incredible. he would definatly show up mast these days
Maybe he never did your million beats per second sweep/tapping/wank, but he never had to. He had feel. Players these days focus on speed and not feel. I even do it myself, but I'm realizing as I get older that it's about feel. Wankers.
I'm not even much of a guy and I look up to him. Even without the extra skill he'd have added up over the years if he hadn't died, he still kicks the asses of most guitarists today.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Most players from the 80s **** all over today's guitar celebs
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Y00p
Maybe not on the technicality (I guess he still has his part, though), but I don't think there was anyone back then that was as technically good as some of the most technical players that are around now.

Allan Holdsworth, Al Di Meola and John McLaughlin have all been active and stupidly technical since the late 60s. Randy doesn't hold a candle to those guys; even now very few people do.

I love the way so many people think technical playing is confined to metal
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Rhandy was set up to be the next EVH. He would destroy guys like Alexi Laiho, but as mentioned above, there are still crazy insane guitarists like Al Di Meola who aren't in the public eye as much who would trounce him.

Even so, he was much more personable than most shredders.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Allan Holdsworth, Al Di Meola and John McLaughlin have all been active and stupidly technical since the late 60s. Randy doesn't hold a candle to those guys; even now very few people do.

I love the way some people just assume so many things.

Edit: I'm sorry, that was a bit of a bland statement. What I meant to say was, of course there are (were) very good guitarists back in those days, even before. I was not thinking about them, because upon reading 'Rhoads', I thought 'metal/shred'. (So there might be some point in your comment, after all)

No offense to you, at all.
Last edited by Y00p at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Because he said technicality is exclusive to metal...
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Holdsworth rapes everything in sight, his legato > you.

Dont try to argue because you will fail.
rl]
He was amazing at the time! and he will only ever live in that time. So when you hear his playing, there is no point comparing him to satriani or petrucci's training and skill.

The structure of the metal solo; People still turn to randy for influence, even today.
An amazing guitarist is an amazing guitarist regardless of the era.It's his feeling and personality and skills that make him timeless IMO.Just like guitarists like Hendrix and Stevie Ray,they poured their heart and soul into their instruments and I much rather listen to that then say someone who emphasizes speed over raw emotion.Music is at its core,an expression of human creativity and the emotions we feel turned into sound.So some may say Randy isn't as technical as modern shredders but the man had great feeling to his playing and was a damn fine guitarist in any circles.

*End opinion*

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.