So im looking at the website for a luthier in Dallas (Charley's Guitar Shop for those interested in the name) cause Ill be needing to have some things done to my guitar after christmas and its insane how expensive things are!

inspection: $20 (says its subtracted if work is done) - ugh.
pickup installation: $25 (per pickup) - not bad, ill only be having 1 installed...
Pot/switch replacement: $20 - ill be adding a killswitch and taking out the un-needed 2nd vol pot. dont really care for that
this is where it gets crazy:
complete assembly including wiring: $200 !!!!! thats too much for me.

are all luthiers this expensive?

ive never done anything like wiring or installing things but could i just do this on my own and be better off?
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Last edited by Johansensan at Dec 21, 2008,
my luthier takes ~80$ for a pickup installation (including wiring and pot replacement)
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
if you have a little experience you can do it on your own
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
Wiring is not that hard. If you need help just ask for a wiring diagram and someone up in here should be able to get you one or if not make one.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by Johansensan

this is where it gets crazy:
complete assembly including wiring: $200 !!!!! thats too much for me.

are all luthiers this expensive?

Pretty much, yeah. The only way your gonna get it done loads cheaper is from someone who does it on the side as a hobby.
Yes, you can definately do it on your own. My little brother's only in 8th grade, and he modded the hell out of a Dunlop Original Wah, true bypass etc, and he himself changed out the pots on his guitar. All you need to do is ask GB&C a bunch of crap, and look around on the internet.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
yea, if i did it on my own id have my laptop with GB&C pulled up next to me the whole way and id have my dad help out with things since hes probably better at random stuff than i am.

on one of the guitars im modding its a pre-wired pickguard so i could try setting that up on my own and if that goes well then i could attempt the other guitar
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.