I was playing on friday and during both the morning performances my guitar de-tuned itself.

During the first the E became an Eb over the first chorus section and made everything sound utter terrible until i could retune during a quiet section.

During the second it de-tuned entirely after playing the first solo and first chord. I had to run off stage and change guitars to continue.

(We were playing "you give love a bad name")

Now the guitar was kept on stage, tuned and on-stage before starting each performance.

This resulted in my driving to my guitar teachers shop and borrowing his American Deluxe Strat for the third performance. This performance was subsequently nailed!

Anyway i digress; the guitar was never knocked, i didn't use the whammy (or even have the tremelo arm in) and it has never really had any major tuning stability issues before. The strings have been on a short period of time and have hit that lovely point where they are just bedded in.

Now my squier has had a few alterations but not for a wee while (New neck followed by pro-setup, which has groover tuners) and has never had these problems before.

Any ideas?

X

EDIT: No squier flames please.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
did you take yout guitar out of the gigbag just before playing? if so the temperature could affect the string tension
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
^ and humidity
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by litus
did you take yout guitar out of the gigbag just before playing? if so the temperature could affect the string tension

+1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
a temperature raise/fall is very bad for tuning stability
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
Quote by litus

Well it was kept on a stand on the stage, because ever the cautious one, i wanted to avoid any tuning issues caused by atmospheric pressures, thanks though something constructive.

On another note i've checked the entire guitar over and it genuinely seems in excellent condition. My guitar teacher/Guitar store owner checked it over also and there appears to be no mechanical issues if you catch my drift?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Did you use spot/flood lighting? The heat generated from these can really affect your guitar when it's set in the lights beam.
Another thought is how roughly you played. Most of us experience some adrenalin when performing and play faster and harder than when just practicing.
Moving on.....
Quote by Madsalty
Well it was kept on a stand on the stage, because ever the cautious one, i wanted to avoid any tuning issues caused by atmospheric pressures, thanks though something constructive.

On another note i've checked the entire guitar over and it genuinely seems in excellent condition. My guitar teacher/Guitar store owner checked it over also and there appears to be no mechanical issues if you catch my drift?

I doubt you had any issues with heat tbh, it is neither hot enough or cold enough in Britain for it to make a difference.
Quote by KenG
Did you use spot/flood lighting? The heat generated from these can really affect your guitar when it's set in the lights beam.
Another thought is how roughly you played. Most of us experience some adrenalin when performing and play faster and harder than when just practicing.

That sir is a bloody good point! And would fit. During rehearsals we didn't use lighting and it was fine, yet during the performance they were there! Also i take good care of my guitars but i play them pretty hard most of the time on stage so it wasn't too out of the ordinary!

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Were the strings properly stretched?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Were the strings properly stretched?

Yes, i always play them in well. Unfortunately i learnt that one the hard way once!

EDIT: Should i have a luthier look at it, or could it have been caused by the spot/floodlights? If this is the problem how do i fix it?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Dec 21, 2008,