ok so i don't have a lot of experience with tube amps unfortunately but with my current rig i run a digitech rp200a MFX through a crate glx65 (ss)... with the settings i have i get a tone im happy with (one that has a heavy bottom end that is thick and punchy when i palm mute)...

now... i bought a line 6 pod studio gx for recording on my comp and when i choose a mesa boogie model (same model i use on my digitech- dual rectifier) and play through it the bottom end is i guess what many people would call 'tube sag' and it has no power or punch what so ever even if i turn the bass up a lot; when i turn up the treble too it gets better but it doesn't have that heavy thunderous palm mute... now in pod farm when i throw in an OD pedal it gives the tone that punchy heavy bass sound when i palm mute which is what i like....

continuing (sorry for the length guys and gals)... i was thinking of buying a line 6 flextone 3 in the near future and was worried that maybe the modelling of the mesaboogie would be like that of podfarm and lack that tight bottom end, does anyone know about this, because i don't want to buy a flex3 and then have to buy an od pedal (which im not sure would even sound good cause i figure od's would be crappy with digital) to get the tone i want.

since it seems that the vetta is set up similar to podfarm (where u can add od pedals and junk) this problem can be fixed from within the amp which is fine but im not getting a vetta... so if by some chance the flextone will get a tone similar to my digitech (bottom end wise) without the use of an od pedal what makes the modelling of the flextone and vetta different then? does the flextone modeling add things to it so (maybe like my digitech does) that its kinda like there is an od pedal mixed with it?

sorry for the long question but im really curious.... thanks in advance.
How much money are you planning on saving. If you can get to the $800 range you can get a Vetta II and floorboard.

The Flextone III is a great amp. Quite a few amps onboard, wide variety of sounds, loads of effects, very simple to use, with the floorboard you have full control over the amp and all it does. You can save tones and presets, for a show all you have to do is step on one switch and you're ready to go. They sell at a great used price as well.

As far as modeling goes, I've owned a Mesa F-100, Mark IV, Roadking, Splawn Quickrod, and Framus Dragon. Now I have a Vetta II and I'm probably going to sell the Splawn in the near future. I like the amp. Very user friendly, very extensive mind you, but it's common sense stuff. The tone on the Vetta is very natural for what it is. Easy to record with, and it's fun. You won't get frustrated trying to get a tone out of it, it's all right there, 90+ amps now, you can run 2 at once, cabs, pedals, effects...jeez, go check out their site if you're still interested.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Its because line 6 higher end stuff is a buttload of **** to tweek.

Belive me after 2 good hour of tweaking you will find something better.

1- Did you read the manual ?

2- Does podx3 sound are compatible whit the Toneport ? I could send you some of my tones.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
+1 to downloading tones or sharing them!

Big thing about Line 6. If you're having a bit of trouble download someone elses tones. Got the Meshuggah ones the other day. They're...uhm...metal!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
thanks for everyone's replies but unfortunately no one really answered my question exactly... could be my fault for being confusing... essentially what im saying is that with the vetta it maintains the 'tube' sag on its default mesa boogie setting and then u add OD pedals to tighten/thicken it up... however with the flextone since it doesn't have the OD pedal features does it include them within the modeling automatically?

my digitech has that tight/thick bottom end when it models a mesa/boogie... the vetta doesn't.... which is the flextone more like?

im GUESSING that the vetta models the tube amps perfectly so it doesn't have that low bottom end punch but will if u add OD pedals (much like a real tube amp)... now im guessing most lower quality modelers (flextone, my digitech etc.) will by default integrate an OD pedal in its modeling of a mesa boogie... which may be why for example on my digitech when the gain is turned all the way off it still has distortion in it but for the vetta or podfarm modelers when the distortion is all the way off it is actually clean...

can someone please clear this up if they have any knowledge in this area?
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
thanks for everyone's replies but unfortunately no one really answered my question exactly... could be my fault for being confusing... essentially what im saying is that with the vetta it maintains the 'tube' sag on its default mesa boogie setting and then u add OD pedals to tighten/thicken it up... however with the flextone since it doesn't have the OD pedal features does it include them within the modeling automatically?

my digitech has that tight/thick bottom end when it models a mesa/boogie... the vetta doesn't.... which is the flextone more like?

im GUESSING that the vetta models the tube amps perfectly so it doesn't have that low bottom end punch but will if u add OD pedals (much like a real tube amp)... now im guessing most lower quality modelers (flextone, my digitech etc.) will by default integrate an OD pedal in its modeling of a mesa boogie... which may be why for example on my digitech when the gain is turned all the way off it still has distortion in it but for the vetta or podfarm modelers when the distortion is all the way off it is actually clean...

can someone please clear this up if they have any knowledge in this area?

The Flextone III is rather loose, while the Flextone II is rather tight.

Everyone goes a little overboard on the Mesa Boogie models. Their amps aren't nearly as aggressive, mean, and punchy as modelers make them out to be. The Recto on the Vetta isn't loose at all. In fact, it is one of the tighter models. That being said I do run the overdrive modelers before just about any metal amp on there. Makes it feel better. The Vetta, higher end pods, and software allows you to place certain effects in their optimal position. The Flextone doesn't quite have the gain that the Vetta has, not to mention you can't run 2 amps at once.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
ok so would it be wise to stay away from the flex3 then if i want that tight punchy palm mute?
would an od pedal work?
You can try running a boost before the Flextone. Never hurts to give something a shot. If you're planning on buying a new flextone III for about $600+ the floorboard, I can say you would be happier with a Vetta II + floorboard used. You could also get a used XXX, JSX, 5150/6505 combo, or Mesa DC F Nomad or rectoverb for less than $800.

I wouldn't say to stay away from it. If you go to a guitar center, i guarantee they have them in stock. The Line 6 Insane model on the Flextone III is pretty, well, insane. IMO, better than the Treadplate model.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
thanks... unfortunately there aren't a wide selection of amps in my city (no peavey dealers or mesa dealers) and its hard to find good used stuff... i was thinking that if i do go for a flex3 then i'll have the store that carries line 6 order it first (like i would have done anyway) but i was just wondering if asking this question would save some time :-P

but im not in a rush to get a new amp at this time but maybe in a few months... although tube amps are better i'd prefer to have digital/ss for a number of reasons, mainly ease of travel and such with my band who crams into a van with our stuff getting banged around like crazy.

but thanks MESAexplorer for the help
on POD studio, turn the rectifier's gain down to 4.5, and activate the screamer model, on the screamer model turn the drive all the way down and the gain to 6. it should tighten up your palmmutes
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.