So I have narrowed it down to what I can find locally as far as my buying a new amp dilemma. I decided that I wanted a 24 fret guitar and my VX wasn't 24 frets so I traded it in for an Ibanez RG170. Its not the greatest but it is really nice. It has a maple fretboard and 24 frets. I am going to upgrade the pickups to DiMarzio Evo's. I am going to be using it for progressive rock/metal neo-classical stuff. So I want an amp that is going to be versatile, yet compact and good at low volumes because this is going to be my gig/practice amp since I'm using it in college and some theatrical productions for the music, so it must have good tone.

Now Im not opposed to using pedals, and I have a TS808 but Im not sure that I am going to be keeping it, cause while I like it it doesn't really give me the sounds I was after the last time I used it. My price range is going to be up to about $650-$700. I have kind of narrowed it down to a couple of amps that I like and some that yall have told me to look at, such as the:

Line 6 Spider Valve 112
Line 6 Flextone III 112
B-52 At-112
Peavey ValveKing 112

Now Im willing to go up to about $700 for an amp and a couple of pedals, or $700 for an amp with some decent tones and effects built in. So what can yall suggest?
i like the B-52 decent gain and pretty good cleans
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
if you need decent tone @ low volumes, then the flextone 112 would work well. they also have an effects loop, but i'm not sure how well it takes pedals. it's also better than the spider series by far.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Last edited by sixstringsteve at Dec 21, 2008,
Yeah, I like the B-52 because of its price right now... I mean $350 for the AT-112 is a pretty good deal... Cause then I could afford to buy a couple of pedals... But it is a bit loud for a practice amp... That's my only concern with it...

I really like the Flextone as well because it is great for low volumes and doesn't sound bad at all when I turn it up... So I think that it would do ok for gigs... But my down side with it is that I would have to get the FBV thing if I wanted to be able to change settings without going back to the amp... But I would have to do that with the Spider Valve as well...

So I'm kinda confused about which route to go... Cause I like all those amps pretty equally, there are just some draw backs to each one for me...
a valve king 112 is good for its money worth, plus you get more money to spend on pedals
a flextone would be a great choice, and you can find the FBV express for around $50 on ebay, so thats no problem. the B-52 at-112 might be better though, if you plan on getting lots of effect pedals and dont need the versatility of a modelling amp, B-52 is the way to go. it should handle all your needs nicely
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Out of those I like the flextone and the b-52. If you can look used I think a mesa f-30 would suit you well, it does high gain lead tones very well and sounds great at lower volumes.

The VK is kind of out of it's league against these amps, I wouldn't really consider it. The spider valve was pretty meh to me, not to mention the controls were very finicky and it loved to max the volume whenever I switched channels.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
PEaveycoffee, I was thinking that about the ValveKing but its a little more expensive right now then the B-52 for some reason... So as far as those go, I think the B-52 would be a better choice just because of the difference in price and the fact that I wouldnt have to do any mods to it as I might with the Peavey...

I didnt really want to get a whole lot of pedals cause I will have to carry my rig alot and I dont want a whole bunch of gear to lug around... If I get any pedals at all it would probably just be either a new distortion/od, reverb, and a compressor. But then I would need to buy a wall wart, a pedal board, patch cables... And that just seems like a hassle... I dont mind it, but ya know...

Now I did find a used Flextone the other day for $300... I tried it out first the day I got my Ibanez and I did really like it... I just didnt have the cash on hand to get both... I just dont know if modeling is as good or better for my needs then a decent tube amp with some pedals...
out of those amps the only one i've played is the SpiderValve and that was only for a few minutes... even at low volumes it sounded pretty good i thought.

if you want versatility and ease of travel (especially in and around your college) you probably don't want to buy a tube amp and carry tons of pedals and cables with you. if you go with a line 6 you can get an FBV express and all you need is one instrument cable and you're good to go....

between the Flex and SV im not exactly sure which one would be better, its really a toss up esp. since i haven't played a flex... but again for 'ease of use' the flex is probably easier cause you don't have to worry about tubes gettin' banged around etc.

also the flex has more versatility in its models and effects.

hope this helps a bit.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
out of those amps the only one i've played is the SpiderValve and that was only for a few minutes... even at low volumes it sounded pretty good i thought.

if you want versatility and ease of travel (especially in and around your college) you probably don't want to buy a tube amp and carry tons of pedals and cables with you. if you go with a line 6 you can get an FBV express and all you need is one instrument cable and you're good to go....

between the Flex and SV im not exactly sure which one would be better, its really a toss up esp. since i haven't played a flex... but again for 'ease of use' the flex is probably easier cause you don't have to worry about tubes gettin' banged around etc.

also the flex has more versatility in its models and effects.

hope this helps a bit.

trust me dude, the flex is a huge step up from the spider valve. the tubes really dont make the sound of the spider better, unless youre playing at power tube saturation-type volume
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Well I like the Flextone alot... It does have a really nice sound at low volumes and again at louder gig levels... But Im not too sure about paying $600 for the amp and then another $270 for the floorboard that you need to be able to store the 36 presets... I think $900 is alot to spend on a modeling amp, even though I do think it is a good one....
Ok, guys I'm even more confused then I was when I started... I really do appreciate all of yalls help because it is helpful and informative, but Im just lost... So I want to tell yall what Im looking for in an amp and see if yall can give me any other options, cause the Flextone is looking great so far but I want to keep all of my options open...

I want something that gets good prog metal (Vai, Satch, Petrucci) tones at both gig level volumes and lower practice volumes... I dont care about wattage, but I do want reverb and, if no built in effects, something that takes pedals well. Something with a fair amount of gain on tap so I dont have to buy a distortion pedal, even for practice levels... And a price range of about $400-$500...
I will second Kevin's suggestion for the Mesa F-30. It is worth the money used (600 usually) and will get you everything you want unless you want a ton of trippy effects. If you want straight up tone and versitilty then this is for you.

What kind of pedals/effects do you want?
Well I have only been able to find a F-50 combo and I think that may be too much wattage... And that is even searching used around me...

But as far as effects go, I was thinking some sort of boost that would give me a little more power for leads, some sort of compressor, a delay, a reverb, and possibly a wah (even though I know I will have to buy that seperate)...