I have just acquired a used peavey classic 50 212 amp. I am looking for a good OD to put over the lead channel of the amp because I can't get enough distortion out of it for metal. I like bands such as skeletonwitch, morbid angel, celtic frost, sodom, ect. My budget is anything below $200. I am also not sure if using an OD over the lead channel would be the best way to get a higher gain sound. If you could please recommend me an OD or an alternative to an OD that would be great. Thanks
Set the gain on 0, crank the level knob and set the tone to taste.

I never tried a Classic 50, but I thought the most gain you could get out of it without a distortion pedal was early Metallica.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Set the gain on 0, crank the level knob and set the tone to taste.

I never tried a Classic 50, but I thought the most gain you could get out of it without a distortion pedal was early Metallica.

What OD would you recommend? And yes, the amp by itself doesn't have much gain.
For ganier stuff like that i recomend the CM-2 digitech Hardwire.

Also the Jekyl and Hyde Visual sounds.

TS9's and BBE greenscreamer, or boss OD's dont cut it next to these pedals.

If you want something really ballstastic try out a fulltone Mosfet, altough youll probly need to use the Boost side alot.
A fulltone OCD with it would sound mint.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
HBE power screamer..................edit missed the death metal part you'll need more gain........metal muff????
Last edited by mmjohn at Dec 21, 2008,
Maxon OD9
Fulltone OCD

You might want an actual distortion pedal for some real gutsy gain. I don't see a vintage voiced amp getting death metal with an OD. Just not gonna happen without some drive.
Damage Control Solid Metal

The Keely Metal Zone, and Boss DS1 are great pedals as well. Nothing like their originals.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio