i wasn't really sure where to put this but i thought it would go best here. i have been playing with some guys for a while now and we have never had a bass player. today, we are going to have someone playing bass and as the majority of the songs we play are in drop d, i was wondering if you are supposed to tune the bass to drop d as well. thanks in advance.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
Uhh, yeah. If he has a 5 string, he technically won't need to, but if you're one of those guys that tunes to drop D and therefore everything is in the key of D and there are open D's left right and centre, you'll want to drop D on bass too. Especially if he's following guitar lines.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yes, otherwise he won't be able to play a low d or D# root if you guys play a low D or D# chord.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
yes, yes you are.

in fact you have the freedom to choose other tunings too.
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
usually, but its what ever the bass player feels like doing. When you play bass its all about the easiest access to individual notes, so it just depends on what and how you play. I am a bass player and I match the guitars, but some ppl don't.
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
of course cause when you play open notes he'd be playing E and you'd be playing D and that wouldnt sound to good
Frontbassman sucks in the nicest way possible

Kevin and Kelsey 12-03-2007

okay guys, thanks a lot. i have never really played that much with a bass before so i didn't know.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
feel free man! all a bass is is a guitar without the b an high e string. (just with a lower sound and thicker strings). a song wont sound right if everything except the bass is in drop d.
R.I.P DIMEBAG.
feel free man! all a bass is is a guitar without the b an high e string. (just with a lower sound and thicker strings). a song wont sound right if everything except the bass is in drop d.
R.I.P DIMEBAG.
Quote by kevin14u2nv
of course cause when you play open notes he'd be playing E and you'd be playing D and that wouldnt sound to good

What?

Its his choice. If he's not just going to double the guitar lines (which sounds oh so likely... ) then it doesn't matter, but if he's going to double guitar lines exactly he probably should tune to D, as I assume you tune to D so that every song is in D and uses the open D a lot.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
I just wanted to share this and didn't want to make a new thread for it. I found it last night.

Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic