Curse you Cowell!

EDIT: At least all the X-Factor n00bs who watch the charts will see the better versions of the song, and they will understand that it is not an original song made for her.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Dec 21, 2008,
Shit really?

Now I'll have to find something else completely pointless to care about...

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
yeh like i didnt see this happening!

buckley had no chance even though his version is much better!!
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
Shit really?

Now I'll have to find something else completely pointless to care about...

my poop is all sticky because i had mcdonalds for 2 days care about that sh1t
And this surprises you? Jeff was an amazing artist (and I still get annoyed that he's generally only recognised for that cover), but at the end of the day, she just won the X Factor. A lot of people would probably vote for her just for that fact alone.
Quote by Jonny616
And this surprises you? Jeff was an amazing artist (and I still get annoyed that he's generally only recognised for that cover), but at the end of the day, she just won the X Factor. A lot of people would probably vote for her just for that fact alone.

+1 to this entire post.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I ****ing hate music snobs.

Her cover is good. Really good. I would imagine the majority of Jeff Buckley fans already own a copy of his (also extremely good) cover.
His being better doesn't diminish hers.
She deserves to be number 1, not because she won the x factor but because her voice is amazing.

Quote by Simsimius
Curse you Cowell!

EDIT: At least all the X-Factor n00bs who watch the charts will see the better versions of the song, and they will understand that it is not an original song made for her.

yeh they can join the ****ing millions who think Jeff wrote it.
GET OVER YOURSELVES
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by Domino

Her cover is good. Really good. I would imagine the majority of Jeff Buckley fans already own a copy of his (also extremely good) cover.
She deserves to be number 1, not because she won the x factor but because her voice is amazing.

GET OVER YOURSELVES

Her version is an over-blown, over-produced, half-arsed cash in. She brings nothing new to that song or popular music in general. Her duet with Beyone proved that her voice isn't amazing and that standards have drastically dropped in what's considered a "good singer". These clowns on X Factor get standing ovations every week for f*cks sake! I've been to Chopin recitals where a pianist has had to EARN an ovation.

If I'm a "music snob" for not liking it then so be it.
Quote by Domino
GET OVER YOURSELVES

I didn't say Jeff wrote it, if that's what your saying.
It's just that fans of X-factor, etc., always believe the music these artists produce to be original material.
I remember when some group covered "Walk this way", and a lot of people never knew it was a cover song (of Aerosmith and Run DMC).

Quote by j_hunter_hkr
Her version is an over-blown, over-produced, half-arsed cash in. She brings nothing new to that song or popular music in general. Her duet with Beyone proved that her voice isn't amazing and that standards have drastically dropped in what's considered a "good singer". These clowns on X Factor get standing ovations every week for f*cks sake! I've been to Chopin recitals where a pianist has had to EARN an ovation.

+1
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by j_hunter_hkr

Thank you, for voicing my opinion. (+1)
Quote by j_hunter_hkr

Her voice is as good as beyonce's. You obviously didn't watch the X factor so you wouldn't know. Just because YOU prefer Jeff's version (which I do too) doesn't mean everyone else should and doesn't mean you have superior knowledge about music than those people. You just have DIFFERENT taste.

Quote by Simsimius
I didn't say Jeff wrote it, if that's what your saying.
It's just that fans of X-factor, etc., always believe the music these artists produce to be original material.
I remember when some group covered "Walk this way", and a lot of people never knew it was a cover song (of Aerosmith and Run DMC).

+1

I wasn't saying you said Jeff wrote it. But there are probably more people that think his is the original than think Alexandra Burke's is.
I am a fan of the X Factor, thus making your point completely wrong.

The girl has a freaking amazing voice and she's only 19. People just love to begrudge people that are making a fair go at doing something they love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JgburSKQzU
~Domino?

Musics
I'm with Domino on this one. Burke has an amazing voice and all the people saying 'OMG BT JEF BUKKLEY DID THA SONG BETERR! are no better than the people buying her single. You're letting some phantom idea of 'credibility' bias you against an extremely talented woman who just happened to cover a song by an artist everyone faps over. How do you know she didn't cover it because she loves the song?

EDIT-Just to clarify, if you've listened to the Burke version and don't like it, then no beef. I'm just sick of her getting targetted so much for doing what she loves.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by Domino
I wasn't saying you said Jeff wrote it. But there are probably more people that think his is the original than think Alexandra Burke's is.
I am a fan of the X Factor, thus making your point completely wrong.

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up. And yeah, that's true.
And I do not refer to all X-Factor fans, but a majority can be described as so.

Quote by neopowell
EDIT-Just to clarify, if you've listened to the Burke version and don't like it, then no beef. I'm just sick of her getting targetted so much for doing what she loves.

I didn't like it. Sounded... "mechanical". She may have technical skill, but it was very emotionless IMO.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I enjoyed her version. I'm not fussed over who gets the number one this year to be honest.

lol TS got banned
Quote by Simsimius

I didn't like it. Sounded... "mechanical". She may have technical skill, but it was very emotionless IMO.

Same goes for the original though, I find. Cohen's original take of the song is pretty poor. It was only when John Cale did his version, then Buckley and numerous others took it up, that it became a song worth listening to.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by neopowell
Same goes for the original though, I find. Cohen's original take of the song is pretty poor. It was only when John Cale did his version, then Buckley and numerous others took it up, that it became a song worth listening to.

Agreed.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
You do realise all X-factor is, is just a yearly wage and hype generator for Simon Cowell to keep dumping these recycled "artists" into the mainstream. It just goes on and on, year after year. Different singer, same voice, new single. Next year, same thing.

The only singer who came out of x-factor to release a different single other than the song they sang in the final after it, was Leona Lewis. Because she could actually hold a note in that fashion they like their pawns too.

And even then, they had to release each single a month after each other, so people wouldn't forget the hype story she gained throughout the whole competition charade.
To be fair, Jeff Buckley's version is shite as well

Rufus Wainwright's version was much better, although I still don't see the fuss over the song
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Bradders0707
You do realise all X-factor is, is just a yearly wage and hype generator for Simon Cowell to keep dumping these recycled "artists" into the mainstream. It just goes on and on, year after year. Different singer, same voice, new single. Next year, same thing.

The only singer who came out of x-factor to release a different single other than the song they sang in the final after it, was Leona Lewis. Because she could actually hold a note in that fashion they like their pawns too.

And even then, they had to release each single a month after each other, so people wouldn't forget the hype story she gained throughout the whole competition charade.

I've always wondered why a program like that hasn't found truly unique vocalists.
Maybe the voting public judges don't know what unique talent is, and go for what they believe is good.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
i hope the x factor burns in hell, long live buckley! (irony not intended)
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by Domino

GET OVER YOURSELVES

But she has quite a generic sound.. without any personality(obviously thats my opinion) so i think he should have been number one.. obviously he doesnt care.. hes dead. lol?
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I like the Rufus Wainright version best of all.

But congrats to this girl. It's an amazing song.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Do you think if X-factor didn't exist, and this randomer called Alexandra Burke came out of nowhere to cover this song, she would still hit number one?
Quote by Bradders0707
Do you think if X-factor didn't exist, and this randomer called Alexandra Burke came out of nowhere to cover this song, she would still hit number one?

You know the answer to that one.

She'll be just another nobody next year. I quite like Leona Lewis though, she has a lovely voice.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Bradders0707

I have watched the x factor for years. Usually the wrong person wins and a lot of the time everyone who makes it to the live finals is ****. But Alexandra Burke is really freaking good and there's no denying it. She can sing just as well as Leona but she has the added bonus of having a personality and being able to dance... I highly doubt shes going to be the next Shayne Ward.
(Note: he released more than one single too!)

People are so quick to judge this girl on one song. One song that she did not choose to do herself
.. actually people aren't even judging her based on the song, because its anything but bad.

You people are guitarists, you can only hear how technically good someone is when you know how to sing (if she whipped out a guitar in the middle though you'd probably hate her more because she'd be a girl trying to play guitar)

She's a great singer and she's going to be huge.
'nuff said.

Quote by will123456789
But she has quite a generic sound.. without any personality(obviously thats my opinion) so i think he should have been number one.. obviously he doesnt care.. hes dead. lol?

This definitely wasn't her best song of the series. She is building up a fanbase who of course are going to buy her single. Jeff Buckley is long dead and the majority of people who like his version of Hallelujah would already own it... if anything people should be angered by these new Jeff fans that are appearing out of nowhere
I'm sure you probably think that the likes of Mariah Carey have the same 'generic sound'.. but it is that generic sound that places them in the same genre.
Some people would say the likes of the killers are generic, but ****loads of people love them, because they enjoy that type of music.
~Domino?

Musics
Last edited by Domino at Dec 21, 2008,
It's funny how she wasn't good enough when she entered a couple years ago but now all of a sudden she is. The conveyor belt keeps rolling, churning out the same old crap.

Oh and Domino, I did watch the X Factor and I can tell you that Laura was the only singer in the competition worthy of any attention.
Last edited by j_hunter_hkr at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by Domino
I have watched the x factor for years. Usually the wrong person wins and a lot of the time everyone who makes it to the live finals is ****. But Alexandra Burke is really freaking good and there's no denying it. She can sing just as well as Leona but she has the added bonus of having a personality and being able to dance... I highly doubt shes going to be the next Shayne Ward.
(Note: he released more than one single too!)

People are so quick to judge this girl on one song. One song that she did not choose to do herself
.. actually people aren't even judging her based on the song, because its anything but bad.

You people are guitarists, you can only hear how technically good someone is when you know how to sing (if she whipped out a guitar in the middle though you'd probably hate her more because she'd be a girl trying to play guitar)

She's a great singer and she's going to be huge.
'nuff said.

My beef is not with Alexandra Burke, it is with Simon cowell and the soul sucking mass produced music that he represents. Listen to her cover of halleluyah. There is a key change, an orchestra and a gospel choir. Why, I ask you, does such a beautifully simple song need any of these things? To make them sound more "x factor", more "cheesey" more "mass produced". This is the reason i hate this song. I hope burke goes on to have a long and succesful career singing good music. That cover, however, is a depressing marketing exercise that should mean little to anyone.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
To be fair, Jeff Buckley's version is shite as wellREBEL!!!

Well, that's opinion. Personally, I think a good cover should do more then just play the same song as the original. Jeff took Cohen's original and added so much more to it creating the 'right' feel for the song.

Burke added nothing but the same generic sound you hear from every single popstar on the mainstream radio.

But then again, Popularity =/= Superiority
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by j_hunter_hkr
It's funny how she wasn't good enough when she entered a couple years ago but now all of a sudden she is. The conveyor belt keeps rolling, churning out the same old crap.

Oh and Domino, I did watch the X Factor and I can tell you that Laura was the only singer in the competition worthy of any attention.

She was 16 when she first entered. Louis always gets rid of the younger ones... and there is an AWFUL lot you can learn in 3 years, though I did think she was amazing when she first entered too.

I didn't really like Laura. She put on an Amy Winehouse type voice that I didn't like. I'm sure she'd still sell though and she definitely should not have been kicked out when she was
~Domino?

Musics
Quote by wouldyakindly
My beef is not with Alexandra Burke, it is with Simon cowell and the soul sucking mass produced music that he represents. Listen to her cover of halleluyah. There is a key change, an orchestra and a gospel choir. Why, I ask you, does such a beautifully simple song need any of these things? To make them sound more "x factor", more "cheesey" more "mass produced". This is the reason i hate this song. I hope burke goes on to have a long and succesful career singing good music. That cover, however, is a depressing marketing exercise that should mean little to anyone.

Have you heard Leonard Cohen's version?!

The thing that gets me is that its been twisted into some sort of religion-related Christmas song and the meaning has been completely changed. She still does a fecking good job of it though. If I could do what she can do I would be a VERY happy woman.
~Domino?

Musics
wrong place
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish