I am fairly new to Ug but here it goes, I really like the bite and growl angus has I know most of it is the plexi he has but i would really like to get in the ballpark. Ok the amp is a line 6 spider I cant stand it but thanks too the morons at my music shop they convinced my tone deaf parents that its one of the best amps out right now and since they wont let me buy a jcm. So i spent my money on a vintage maestro vibrola which is beautiful and they said it would really pull down the value of my gibson sg haha. Anyways i got some money left over and when i "accidently" spill water on the board and it blows (because my dad wont let me sell anything) ill have some nice equipment to get a good tone out of for the new amp. So i Was wondering does anyone have any experiance with this pickup or the 57 classic as im thinking about this for the neck as the stock 490s are really muddy. thanks for the advice
It would really be a good idea to wait and purchase pickups after you get a new amp.
The spider tends to suck the good tonal characteristics from your pickups and make every guitar sound pretty much the same.
If you wait until you get a new amp, you might find that you like your old pickups, and if you still want a new tone, you will know what to look for in your pickups to improve it.

Remember, pickups only improve good tone, they don't fix bad tone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Save up for a new amp, it's way more important than the pickups in you guitar.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
gnr,zepplin,sabbath,ozzy,eagles,van halen just about anything in the 70s or 80s
^+1
and if his pickups have almost nothing to do with his tone
if you want his tone/bite, then get a fender blues junior and use its natural OD
EDIT: nvm, not with those other bands you into
dont get new pickups you need a new amp
My parents wont let me buy an amp as the idiots at the shop told them its "better than a jcm" anyway as that killed my chances at a new amp even though i HAD the money to get it
Quote by stratdud39
^+1
and if his pickups have almost nothing to do with his tone
if you want his tone/bite, then get a fender blues junior and use its natural OD
EDIT: nvm, not with those other bands you into
dont get new pickups you need a new amp

Whoa, a blues jr won't get you anywhere near angus youngs tone, he uses a JTM45, a british amp, the blues jr is american.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
that what i thought i need something british voiced like an orange or a marshall ceriatone something like that is why i went for the jcm...
I'd go with the 57s, personally.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Yeah i thought about going with the 57 plus on the bridge but I think I want something a little hotter.
How old are you ? your parents don't let you buy a new amp with your own money ??
angus himself never used his sig pup, and the gibson ones are overpriced. the gibsons sound good, but for a lower price, go with a seymour duncan or dimarzio, something based off of a paf pickup
15 lol yeah its pathetic i know but there I dont know a way to sneak a halfstack out of the store....
Duncan Custom 5 will do the job nicely, being a hot PAF. Coupled with a '59 in the neck you'll have a damn good combo for 70s rock, particularly AC/DC. That's only after you have a decent amp, though.

It's worth finding and showing your parents a page on the advantages and disadvantages of tube and modelling amps, pointing out to them that the salesman was trying to SELL it. Point out that if Line 6 Spiders really did sound better than JCMs, then bands would be using them live instead of their Marshalls.
Ive tried and my dad cant hear a difference between the spider and a plexi says they both sound the same lol
im afraid my case is pretty much hopeless and will be until my spider dies...
explain to him that tonally they are very different amps. he is not a musician, he wont be able to notice some differences. spend about an hour on the marshall, then go to a spider. i bet he will notice how bad it sounds. also just to be sure eq it really badly. like treble on 10 and everything else 0. its your money man. wait to get the amp.
Yeah ive done it once and it looks like im going to have to do it again, thanks guys for your suggestions
best of luck man. i mean you can always get an older guy from school that your friends with to take you to guitar center, buy the stack yourself and then just come home and be like ooops!
Ceriatone JTM45, when you wriggle out from under your parents' thumbs
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Angus doesn't use his "signature" pickup, his SGs use the stock Gibson t-tops that replaced the PAFs. They're a very clean sounding, low output pickup with a lot of brightness. You'll have a hard time finding a Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio that gets you that kind of tone as most of the vintage voiced ones are replicating PAF tones.

But yeah, 90% of Angus's tone comes from that JTM45.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by al112987
Angus doesn't use his "signature" pickup

+1

Quote by al112987
his SGs use the stock Gibson t-tops that replaced the PAFs.

Not sure about this, just because Angus plays a lot of different SG's, probably of various years.

To the threadstarter - if you can't get a new amp, don't buy new pickups. It'd be a waste of money at this point. The AC/DC model is decent on the Spider, anyway.
Isn't his main axe a '68 though? At least that's what I've always thought. Unless he swapped out the pickups (which is possible) then those used t-tops, but I've always read he used t-tops. His tone is very t-top-ish as well imo. Bright with a lot of edge and bite.
I`d say keep your pickups and get a new amp as well. You could plug a 6000 les paul in to a bad sounding amp and it would not transform it. As for amps, you could find a used jtm45 or something else that will give you a similar sound. I bought my Traynor YCS50 becuase I found that it got very close to Angus` tones and I`m using a Les Paul type. Ceriatone would be good too.
y can't u ask 4 an amp 4 christmas?
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
^He explained that at least 2 times. Read the thread before you comment.

To TS: Buying pickups now is a waste of money. You wont be able to hear any difference without a new amp. Save your money so you can buy a really nice amp when you have the opportunity.
Quote by enalsisiht
best of luck man. i mean you can always get an older guy from school that your friends with to take you to guitar center, buy the stack yourself and then just come home and be like ooops!

i was gonna say just this
Solution #1: "Uh... I have a Gig with the jazz band at school coming up, and im the only skilled guitarist, and unfortunatly my spider isnt loud enough. Ive looked it up and this <insert amp here> would be plenty loud enough and would allow me to perform to my full potential"
May cause hours of questioning and interrogation about this "jazz band"

Solution #2 Break it and make sure warrenty doesnt cover it. "mommy my guitar amp is broken, i need a new one and i may as well get the one i want"
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158