This is a serious thread.

Ok, long story shot, I wrote a book and am looking to get it published. I was wondering if anyone here knew where I could start.

I am not sure how many people on UG have managed to publish things before, but I am sure someone on the internet will know. All I need to know is where I should start really, like I said before.

I will not say what the book is about, but I will tell if any of your suggestions actually work.

So yeah, help me out.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
My mate has a couple of books printed. It's only an indie business, but I'll get in touch with him and ask him about it if you want.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
My mate has a couple of books printed. It's only an indie business, but I'll get in touch with him and ask him about it if you want.

Ask him if you want dude, I don't want to feel like I am wasting someones time.

Puts up flame shield
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
I'd also like to know this. So far I haven't had the commitment to write a proper book, but I want to eventually.
We're only strays.
Get yourself a publishing agent.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by neopowell
Get yourself a publishing agent.

You can't just 'get yourself a publishing agent', lad. It's not like buying a ladder.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
You can't just 'get yourself a publishing agent', lad. It's not like buying a ladder.

yeah true. My dad said something about getting a copyright for it first, anyone know how to get that.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I'd also like to know this. So far I haven't had the commitment to write a proper book, but I want to eventually.

It takes ALOT of time, just so you know, but if you put your time into it, it will come out good, well mine did anyway
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
First, google how to get a copyright. It's not hard to do.

Second, send that **** to as many publishing agencies as possible.

Three, hope one accepts it.

If that doesn't work, google for a publishing site. Hell, just go look at a publisher's site and see what they say.
Quote by rabidguitarist

I know that, you patronising oaf. But almost no publishing companies will accept unsolicited scripts and very few will talk to anyone other than agents.

TS you might want to consider getting some work as a writer in another medium (radio is one worth looking at because it pays so badly) so you can begin to get experience and a reputation, this will make it easier to get yourself on an agent's books.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
go to some publishers.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I'd send out a query type letter to as many publishers you can find that print the type of books that you have written. Give a brief description of your situation and the book premise and ask if they'll consider reading it.
Quote by neopowell
I know that, you patronising oaf. But almost no publishing companies will accept unsolicited scripts and very few will talk to anyone other than agents.

TS you might want to consider getting some work as a writer in another medium (radio is one worth looking at because it pays so badly) so you can begin to get experience and a reputation, this will make it easier to get yourself on an agent's books.

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't know anywhere around here that would hire someone like me. I am not even out of high school yet. I will look around though, thanks for the idea.

Quote by americnidiot
I'd send out a query type letter to as many publishers you can find that print the type of books that you have written. Give a brief description of your situation and the book premise and ask if they'll consider reading it.

Thanks, now I just need to find some publishers.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by fridge_raider
And you won't tell us what the book is about?

I am not going to tell random people on the internet what its about. I did that once with something else and my idea got stolen, since then I never take any chances

also where would I go to find a publishing agent
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Jackal58
One thing I suggest is to find one of the journals that essentially publish short stories and send some shorts to them. That way you get published in some form and probably get paid a small amount for it while gaining a reputation.