I want to upgrade my Bass Very, Very shortly! (ATM I only have a cheap $300 P.O.S!
) I'm playing in a Punk band that may be touring next year, so I need something that will be good tonally for Punk (Our music sounds alot like early Greenday) & also it needs to be built well enough to stand up to The regular flogging it is going to get!

ATM, I'm leaning toward an Ibanez ATK series but I'm not sure if It's going to sound to heavy tone wise, I was also thinking about a upper market Squier Until I started having problems with my Strat! So any Ideas are muchly apperciated.

Btw, my budget will only be between About $600-$800 Australian
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
You could get an MIM Fender Prevision for that price.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by TooFast
You could get an MIM Fender Prevision for that price.

Yeah, that's USD though isn't it? our dollar is worth about 70US cents tops ATM! I was pissed off that I didn't have any cash when it was worth about 94US cents
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Get the ATK.
They're great basses.
Greg K from the Offsrping uses one as well, so they're suited for punk =).

Otherwise a Squier VM precision is another option, but imo the ATK is waaay better.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by gunners fan
Yeah, that's USD though isn't it? our dollar is worth about 70US cents tops ATM! I was pissed off that I didn't have any cash when it was worth about 94US cents

No, in USD Standard Precisions cost ~$400. It should be well within your range.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Not really in Australia the average price on MIM fenders is about 950-1100 AUD but sometimes if you look in the right places you can score them for around 850 google concept music, it's a shop in perth but a possible retailer may price match for ya.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
^^^Oh, well, JK then. But if you're not completely turned off to Squiers, the VM Precision is always a good choice. IMO, it would fit better in a punk band than an Ibanez ATK. But try them both out and see what you think.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
I got my mim from america when our dollar was 65 us cents and i still only had to pay 490 Australian dollars.So a good deal will pop up.
BB.King +Freddie King+Albert King=three kings of blues!!
Dado23 Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
bassbassbassbassbassbassbassbass
I checked on some converter site and an MIM P would be about 700 dollars AUS.
EDIT: Actually the price I checked was for an MIM Jazz For a Precision it would be around 650 AUS.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

You guys have the conversions right, but in Australia everything is imported and there's a HUGE import tax on it. Everything is jacked up quite a bit, so even though his money may convert to a certain amount of USD, the products will still cost more.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Get a precision. Precisions are most suited for punk. The P in Precision=punk.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Quote by Sid McCall
You guys have the conversions right, but in Australia everything is imported and there's a HUGE import tax on it. Everything is jacked up quite a bit, so even though his money may convert to a certain amount of USD, the products will still cost more.

More than 150 dollars worth? The price of the bass leaves that much left in his budget.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Quote by TooFast
More than 150 dollars worth? The price of the bass leaves that much left in his budget.

Actually it is almost inpossible to find any American made Fender in Australia for under a grand (may find one or two under the grand mark used)
Anyway Im 90% sure I'm going to go with the Ibenez, I meen I haven't played an actual ATK series but I loooooooooooove Ibenez in general

Thanks for the help guys!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
^Exactly. It's the same reason why even when the CAN$ was above the U.S. we were still paying out the ass for music gear. Borders are expensive to cross, and that's only between U.S. and CAN never mind AUS.

Anyway, with punk you REALLY cannot go wrong with a P-Bass, but if that's above your price range and you don't want to go with a Squier, then just go to a music shop and play everything in your range and take your pick.
Go for the ATK, you definitely won't regret it. Loads of punch and great clarity. Extremely versatile and well built. The only downside is the weight.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
Go for the ATK, you definitely won't regret it. Loads of punch and great clarity. Extremely versatile and well built. The only downside is the weight.

The ATK is a very good bass, but the P-bass is the classic bass for punk.

I think that a Squier VM P bass will be your best bet.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Actually it is almost inpossible to find any American made Fender in Australia for under a grand (may find one or two under the grand mark used)

Of course you arent gonna get an American for under a grand , you can barely get a mexican for under a grand from a shop.

And i agree with the man above me.The VM P bass is probably a best fit for you.
BB.King +Freddie King+Albert King=three kings of blues!!
Dado23 Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
bassbassbassbassbassbassbassbass