I have a Line 6 Spider III and my problem is that it has to be turned up fairly loud for their to be any distortion at all, regardless of channel/settings. Is this just because of the amp? Are all amps like this? I'm thinking about buying a new amp anyway, but still it would be nice to be able to get distortion without turning up my amp to the point where the neighbors can hear it.
Yeah I have, Although I guess I should say more that there is some distortion when it's not very loud, but it's pretty bad sounding.
that is really odd. I've never used a spider though so I can't really help you with fixing it. to avoid flaming though, I would still get a new amp. (it won't hurt your tone either)
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Use the drive knob on one of the three channels that isn't the clean one
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
it maight just be....YOUR SPIDER III!!!!!

but really, they arent great... sell it and buy something new....
try ALL the settings?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
it shouldn't do that. spiders have a ton of distortion at low volumes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, the only thing I can think of is that you've got the volume knob on your guitar turned down. Otherwise, the the distortion should be fairly full (if bad sounding) on that amp at whatever volume level....

What guitar are you using, also?