Sorry if there's already a thread on this, I did a quick searchbar and came up with nothing. I don't have much time.

1. What are some good traditional blues songs that my band could cover?
2. What are some traditional blues songs on acoustic that I could do solo?

In both cases, I wouldnt play the exact cover of the song, cause that's no fun. Songs that allow lots of room for reworking would be great as well. I'm talkin about stuff like what Led Zep did with We're Gonna Groove (originally by.... i forget).
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
oooh man... well i love led zep style blues (hence my username) but i dont know much by the original people like howlin' wolf, robert johnson...
i honestly have no clue XD im sorry...
Yeah i guess thats what I'm lookin for. Good, coverable songs by people like robert johnson and people of that time.
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by RIP_bonham
oooh man... well i love led zep style blues (hence my username) but i dont know much by the original people like howlin' wolf, robert johnson...
i honestly have no clue XD im sorry...

Why would you post then.

This thread is insanely pointless unless you say what blues bands you currently like, then we can point you in the direction of their famous songs etc. etc.

Please, help us to help you.

Check out the great songwriter, Willie Dixon. He's written loadsa stuff for everybody. Google blues standards and go from there also.
For Starters:
Crossroads
Stormy Monday
Big Legged Woman
Mannish Boy
Hoochie Coochie Man
Further On Down the Road
Crosscut Saw
Sweet Home Chicago

Search on YouTube for Albert King, Freddie King, Muddy Waters, Magic Slim, Bobby Bland
Great recommendation on the Willie Dixon songs, so many covers of them.

Killing Floor is always a favorite of mine
Quote by ze monsta

This thread is insanely pointless unless you say what blues bands you currently like, then we can point you in the direction of their famous songs etc. etc.

Please, help us to help you.

Well I'm kind of still getting into blues i guess. Atm I've got Albert King's Born Under a Bad Sign album, Rory Gallagher's Blue Day For the Blues (a compilation), Hendrix's Are You Experienced (not true blues), a few SRV songs, and the John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers w/ Eric Clapton album. I really like Rory's covers of As The Crow Flies and Pistol Slapper Blues. For some reason, I can't get As The Crow Flies to sound right when I play it. Might be because he uses a dobro? Idk. Those are the types of songs i'm looking for.

Edit: I just did some work on YouTube, and found that I like John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom" and found a great version of Muddy Waters' "Got My Mojo Working". I know these are both famous songs, and i've heard em before, but never really listened to em. What're some other good ones by these guys?
Last edited by BD 425 at Dec 23, 2008,
"Boogie Chillen" is one of John Lee Hooker's best and most famous, definitely check it out. Crawling King Snake, I'm in the Mood, Hobo Blues are some of his other most notable songs.

Some of Muddy's most famous... Rollin Stone, Can't Be Satsified, Mannish Boy, Hoochie Coochie Man

Those are the best songs to start off with, but most of their stuff is very good. I find a lot of Hooker's songs sound very similar, but they are still good.
Quote by microtech
"Boogie Chillen" is one of John Lee Hooker's best and most famous, definitely check it out. Crawling King Snake, I'm in the Mood, Hobo Blues are some of his other most notable songs.

Some of Muddy's most famous... Rollin Stone, Can't Be Satsified, Mannish Boy, Hoochie Coochie Man

Those are the best songs to start off with, but most of their stuff is very good. I find a lot of Hooker's songs sound very similar, but they are still good.

Those songs are works of genius. I love love love them. I must sing them to myself every 5 minutes.
Go to "lists of Blues Guitarists' on wikipedia, choose a few random names and check out there stuff
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by ze monsta

Check out the great songwriter, Willie Dixon. He's written loadsa stuff for everybody.

yeah, after all, he did single handedly write the entire Zeppelin catalog.

j/k.........

sort of.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
yeah, after all, he did single handedly write the entire Zeppelin catalog.

j/k.........

sort of.

any examples? i'm curious.
Try these:
They're Red Hot-Robert Johnson
Where Did You sleep Last Night-Leadbelly
House of the Rising sun-(I prefer Woody Guthrie's Version)
Pot
Kettle
Black
Quote by BD 425
any examples? i'm curious.

Whole Lotta Love was from Willie Dixon's You Need Love,
Bring it On Home
I can't quit you baby
You Shook Me

Lemon Song is taken/borrowed/stolen from Howlin' Wolf's Killing Floor (Dixon wrote many songs made famous by the Wolf btw)
I think there was an album out a while back called 'The Blues Roots of Led Zeppelin' which would probably solve your case.

I love Willie Dixon
I love Led Zeppelin
I love it

Just thought I'd share that.
^ Way to be generic...

Have you ever even tried to play Robert Johnson properly??? It's almost impossible - seriously. He was so good and so different and you don't even realise. Which is a shame.

Mississippi John Hurt and Skip James are always fun.