138 29%
Sort of
187 39%
I can play Smoke on the Water
69 14%
Voters: 483.
Page 1 of 4
The title says it all.

Can you shred? Can you not? Can you do some form of shredding but you are still no Paul Gilbert?

Yes, kind of. After 4 months of experimenting and listening to different people play, I can do decent shredding. I play some licks on the pentatonic minor and move it around, tremelo pick hammer-on and pull-off patterns, and throw in a few bends, pinch harmonics, and melodies. All I need is a tremelo bar.

There is a poll for you to vote.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Dec 21, 2008,
I cn paly teh w1sh yu wur heer s0l0 d00d
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
I'm no John Petrucci, but I can play a lick or two.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
i pretend to

i play with the diminished and phrygian then i move in and out of the locrian and aeolian then some pentatonics. mostly i just mess aroubd, nothing serious
I can play fast leads, but I don't necessarily see the need for shredding. I'd much rather focus on the relationship of melodic work compared to the inherent desire to move supremely fast while still trying to maintain a musical sound. Some guys can do it, but it's just not my bag I guess.
Can I? Yes. Do I? No. With about 90% of shredding there's no soul in it, and the guitar isn't a tool to taunt others with your mastery of, it's an extension of your personality and a device to derive joy from.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
well how fast do you have to go to shred is there a set speed those metal maniacs enforce

lik do you have to go lik 16 over 4 or watever you call it
No. None of the music I play, listen to, or take any interest in requires any shredding. I can solo, but shredding at the speed of light isnt anything I need to do.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by srvkicks@$$
well how fast do you have to go to shred is there a set speed those metal maniacs enforce

lik do you have to go lik 16 over 4 or watever you call it

i think its 8 notes or more per second not sure tho.

just make your playing sound like liquid

willy nilly
nope, and proud of it.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Bling Dogg
No, because I don't ever want to...

Thats me.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Not really. I suck at improvising solos and whatnot.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Its in my name,

so its ironic that i cant

rhythm works totally better anyway...

*flees thread in shame*
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Nope, blues and good stuff like that is my style.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Playing since i was 7 more music lessons then most teenagers ever wanted to sit thru but worth it. shredding is something cool to do to kinda do a little show boating and i think i do it pretty good but i agree with a lot of ppl in here its more overbearing then anything to hear a song at 20 million notes a minute. dillenger escape plan is a good example of a band that should slow it down
I absolutely cannot 'shred'. On the other hand I don't like listening to 'shred' playing either. Swings and roundabouts really.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Yep, im damn proud of it too. 13nps diminished string skipping ftw. Although I really do enjoy playing jazz fusion and applying shred legato to that.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
back in the day I was pretty into Yngwie. cant really play those licks at speed anymore though.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
yeah i sort of can. move some pentatonic scales around, some hard rock licks, but no real head banging material haha
No
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by tmfiore
The title says it all.

Can you shred? Can you not? Can you do some form of shredding but you are still no Paul Gilbert?

Yes, kind of. After 4 months of experimenting and listening to different people play, I can do decent shredding. I play some licks on the pentatonic minor and move it around, tremelo pick hammer-on and pull-off patterns, and throw in a few bends, pinch harmonics, and melodies. All I need is a tremelo bar.

There is a poll for you to vote.

I guarantee that you can't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I can,but I try to avoid it as much as I can and instead focus on fast melodic leads that don't just turn into chaos.This is how I view shredding,it's cool when applied in small amounts and in certain situations,but shredding all the time and viewing that as the measure of a guitarists skill is ridiculous.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Yes, but it will sound like sh!t
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I dabble for my own enjoyment really at home.

There's no way I could shred on stage with any confidence but I figure that the more different, advanced, varied stuff I can play the more choice I have when I do have to pull off a solo or tricky fast run or whatever.

The only shred I really listen to is one or two Vai albums, plus Freidman solos in Megadeth
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
In all honesty, no. I mean i can play a few scales and some mildly challenging solos, but i dont think i will ever get close to playing stuff by batio or gilbert n stuff like that. I'd be happy to be able to, but ive gone off it recently, and im trying to improve my rhythm playing.

Edit: and my sweeping is the most ugly thing to ever hear. puts me off learning a solo if it has sweeps.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Last edited by dan ramP at Dec 22, 2008,
Nope. No shred for me.
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
Eh. I can play pretty goddamn fast, with alternate picking or legato. Aside from sudden sweeping arpeggios, I find it difficult to incorporate into improvising though.

I don't really care if I'm not Jason Becker in his prime, though - my playing lately has become increasingly Cream-era Claptonesque.
Yes, I can play very quickly and cleanly, mostly Eric Johnson/Carl Verheyen type stuff.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I can shred.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with shredding as long as it is for the song and musical.

I hear too many bands soloing and just jacking off the guitar.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus