what is a better record label: major label or independant label many people say major but bands like arctic monkeys are independant, so which is better and why?
Independant are less likely to rip you off in my experience.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
so what are the advantages and disadvantages of each label?
well if you want taken advantage of and marketed relentlessly, take the major label.
however, if you want less marketing, and a bit more courtesy towards your band, take the independant label. however, you won't get as much money, but money shouldn't matter anyways.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Remember kids, solid state half stack=penis extension.

Quote by PatchworkMan
I have no idea when the world is going to end, and anyone who says he does is a cook.

Quote by smb
Those chefs can't be trusted.

"We're like...'Riding a dragon over fields of lava' epic!"
major = $$$
indie = *possible* fan basis and then minor recognition and then after three or four albums a world hit
they'll let you do more of your own thing, basically, whereas majors will most likely try to control the way you sound to be more radio friendly/ household friendly so they'll make more money off of you.
Quote by Pyrofretnic

Quote by PatchworkMan
I have no idea when the world is going to end, and anyone who says he does is a cook.

Quote by smb

i think i like the sound of major more because i am not bothered whether im told what 2 do
well, i'd pick wisely. there aren't many major labels out there that won't completely rape you for profit anymore. best study up on your copyright, and label info before you make a decision.
Quote by Pyrofretnic

Quote by PatchworkMan

Quote by smb

Here is the most important statistic a musician with label interest needs to know: 90% of albums released on any label, independent or major, fails. And by fails, I mean, it doesn't turn a profit. Now, why is that important? Because in a standard contract for a new band, YOU are responsible for covering costs. If the album doesn't break even, the band owes the label money. All labels are businesses, their objective is to turn a profit. On a major, costs are a lot higher, so you will be expected to sell more units, but you will also be given a larger budget to do so. On an indie, you have a smaller budget, therefore you need to sell fewer units to cover costs. That is what it comes down to. All these things, such as artistic control, etc... It's bull****. Both labels will hook you up with a producer (it is essentially unheard of for a first time band to produce itself). The producers goal is two-fold: yes, he wants you to make the best record possible, but keep in mind, he is employed by the label, and will often make most of his money based on a percentage of sales. So his job is to produce an album that will ship the most amount of units. So either way, major or indie, you are going to lose creative control, to an extent. Yes, indies will often give you more leeway, as there is less money at stake. But the principle is the same. And should you fail to produce a profitable album after a few tries, it doesn't matter if you are on a major or an indie: you will be dropped.