The local radio station that I listen to (106.7 The Drive) has been saying that in 2009 they want to start playing more local music. They say all you have to do is go down and drop off a CD and a band bio and they'll play your music. I was thinking of getting my band to do this, but I have a couple of questions that are "IMO" type questions, because I want to see different opinions on this.

1. Is it even worth it to get a couple minutes of radio airplay?
2. Has your band ever gotten on the radio? If so, did it help?
3. Do you think they'll even play us? We're only 15 but we always have promoters wanting us to play shows for them because they love our music.

Thanks in advance
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
if all you have to do is drop off a cd and a bio, then how isnt it worth it?
If your music is good they'll play you and the exposure you might get will definitely benefit you.

just do it
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
wat kind of music do u play?
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
1. Yes, definitely.
3. If there's a hint of commerciality.
Quote by Sakattack75
wat kind of music do u play?

Progressive-metal type.
Lead guitar lines of Iron Maiden
Bass melodies of Rush
Drum beats of The Who
Rythem guitar of AC/DC
Singing of Metallica

So basically if you put Dave Murray, Geddy Lee, Kieth Moon, Malcom Young, and James Hetfield together you would get our band.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by xEpidemicx
Progressive-metal type.
Lead guitar lines of Iron Maiden
Bass melodies of Rush
Drum beats of The Who
Rythem guitar of AC/DC
Singing of Metallica

So basically if you put Dave Murray, Geddy Lee, Kieth Moon, Malcom Young, and James Hetfield together you would get our band.

Dude you guys are like the dream team! lol

1. If you guys think you fit in with the program
2. Couldn't tell ya
3. If you fit in with the rest of the music they should, age don't matter as long as you dont suck
Quote by xEpidemicx

1. Is it even worth it to get a couple minutes of radio airplay?

Of course! Look at a bunch of Myspace sites. Look how many total plays they have, and how long it has taken to get them. Now, consider that a commercial radio station has upwards of 50 000+ listeners at any given time. You can achieve in three and a half minutes five times what most Myspace bands are able to do in 3 and a half years of diligent Myspace networking. In this business, it's all about getting your product into the ears of your potential audience. That's the purpose of gigging, internet networking, etc..... and radio. (and MTV for the big bands who can justify paying to do a video)

Quote by xEpidemicx

2. Has your band ever gotten on the radio? If so, did it help?

We've gotten a few plays on campus radio, and have gotten played on commercial radio. We've gotten some community TV time, and some network TV time too - each on multiple occasions. It's hard to tell how much it helped. We still have to work like dogs to promote our shows and stuff. It's not like we became instant stars or anything.

However, those sorts of things add to your overall profile. Other promoters and even potential fans take you more seriously if they can go to your site and see and hear what you have done on commercial media. One thing is that, everyone we talk to treats us as competent and established professionals. (note: established does not necessarily mean well-known....)

Quote by xEpidemicx

3. Do you think they'll even play us? We're only 15 but we always have promoters wanting us to play shows for them because they love our music.

They will play you if (and in this order):
1. You fit their format
2. You have good songs
3. Your recordings sound radio-ready.
4. They have a reason to play you. (ie. you have a show coming up that you want to promote, a CD that has just been released, etc.... something going on.)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.