I have an Epiphone 350BL that I started playing last December. It's the first and only guitar I have played. I noticed a rattling coming from the bridge area and brought the guitar to be checked out. The guitar had spent 20 years in an attic where the temp ranged from 110 to 10 degrees. I was told the guitar was in good shape. The strings were replaced, as were the tuners. The rattling continued until the spring and was not a problem until November when it began to get cold again. Does anyone know what might be rattling and if this is a humidity or temp problem. Of note, the guitar rattles much less when the sound hole is facing vertical.
Thanks for your help.
physics lesson:

metal compresses when cold. its rattling because it is poorly designed, its normal. dont worry about it.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
physics lesson:

metal compresses when cold. its rattling because it is poorly designed, its normal. dont worry about it.

Umm... what does metal have to do with this? It's an acoustic. A rattle definitely isn't a normal sound...

It could be a number of things... My first instinct tells me that it could possibly be a loose bracing near the bridge area. 110 degrees is hot enough to weaken any glue used on an acoustic guitar, and 10 degrees is cold enough to make anything contract. Continual weakening of glue and then contracting of the wood could definitely cause the bracing to come loose.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
The fact that you said the rattle goes away in the spring and returns in the late fall leads me to believe it's a loose bracing that's being affected by humidity of the guitar. In the spring and summer months, when the humidity is normally higher, the wood tends to swell up, which would make things tighter fitting inside the body of the guitar. Then as the seasons change again back to the cold, drier months, the wood shrinks back on itself and the rattle presents itself again.
My diagnosis would be some serious humidity treatments of the guitar. Try keeping it in a room where you can control the humidity and temp. See if you can get the rH(relative humidity) of the room to remain at a constant 60%, and the temp about 70 degrees F. About 2 weeks to a month might be needed for the guitar to come back around. You will then need to keep it maintained at the correct humidity level of 45-55%.
In the meantime, slacken all of the strings enough so you can slide your hand into the guitar and feel around in there for loose bracing. You might want to get a mirror and some light in there too so you can look around for anything obvious. Try tapping on different areas of the soundboard and see if you can recreate the rattle. You should be able to find it.
Once you locate it, it's a simple matter(hopefully) of gluing it back down tight.
Another item that could be rattling would be the truss rod. Check to make sure it's tight.
i've had that same problem with every epiphone i've had (4)

"I have better things to do...
Like play with my balls."

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

In the meantime, slacken all of the strings enough so you can slide your hand into the guitar and feel around in there for loose bracing. You might want to get a mirror and some light in there too so you can look around for anything obvious. Try tapping on different areas of the soundboard and see if you can recreate the rattle. You should be able to find it.
Once you locate it, it's a simple matter(hopefully) of gluing it back down tight.
Another item that could be rattling would be the truss rod. Check to make sure it's tight.

Everything you said makes sense. My apt. is very dry and cold. I CAN recreate the sound by tapping. I will be changing the strings soon, so I'll see if i can take a look inside. I have never played a $1,000 guitar, (other than a 1950's Gibson) but I love playing this vintage Epiphone (minus the rattle). Every guitar player who hears it tells me it has a great sound. I would like fix the rattling issue. Thanks for your help.