how do you guys do it? i can alternate pick fine but im trying to learn some muse/vampire weekend and there is super fast tremolo picking and i cant do it. What thickness pick do you use? do you hold it close or far from the point? I can do it a lot better with bridging but i know thats not the right way to do it
this reminds of vision of division by the strokes where it has tremolo picking....and its pretty fu cking hard
use a heavy pick and practice a lot, once i got it i had it, its not that hard
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
I angle the pick backwards, so it's facing towards the palm of my hand.

When I first started to practice tremolo picking it was sort of 'stop and go', like start tremolo picking, then stop.

Sometimes I couldn't start, so I alt picked and then gradually brought the speed up.
How fast do you need to go exactly? As fast as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhE4nPh45nc or faster?

I use Jazz III picks by Dunlop, and I think they're about 1mm. Make sure the pick is fairly parallel to the string. You also want to move the pick by moving your whole forearm up and down.
are you guys actaully doing a picking motion where you kind of bring it up and over the string or are you just powering through it
Quote by nickmpower
are you guys actaully doing a picking motion where you kind of bring it up and over the string.

I always stay above the string and only have my pick far enough down so it just skims the string.
nickmpower when i first started i braced my wrist against the guitar. I grew outta that as i got better now i usually hold my pick regularly like i would for strumming or picking and use alotta wrist an some forearm for faster songs to just power through the strings. I dont skim them I've been doing it awhile so im used to it so just try different variations man and see what you can come up with that works for you.
Start slow with a metronome and build up speed over time. There's really no secret to get it overnight, and everyone has to go through it in their playing.
Just make sure that when you're practicing, all the picking is coming from the wrist. If you're moving your arm in anything other than changing strings, you're most likely doing it wrong.
Personally, i think it comes from the forearm and elbow....if u use the wrist the pick gets caught up on the string...anyways just keep practicin and ull get it
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by nemjeff13
Personally, i think it comes from the forearm and elbow....if u use the wrist the pick gets caught up on the string...anyways just keep practicin and ull get it

If you don't use your wrist you'll create a lot of tension in your arms which will just make it harder for you to change strings.

Use only your wrist and slightly angle your pick and it gets easy very quickly.