I want to learn to tune by ear, I was thinking just practice, but are their any tips on how to do this 'cos I really think it would be easier than plugging the guitar into my tuner and ****.
This is how I do it:

1.) I add all my strings and tune them until they're about the right tension.
2.) I then tune the low E string. Pluck then change until I get it right.
3.) Then the A by holding the 5th fret of the E, and tuning until they're the same.
4.) I then get bored of this method usually and tune my strings by playing 'Under the Bridge', and tune each string until they're right...

Bit of an unusual method, but I find it fun. lol
Quote by killer puppy
get used to the different pitches of your strings first

how long have you played?

about 2 year.

Quote by Calabur
This is how I do it:

1.) I add all my strings and tune them until they're about the right tension.
2.) I then tune the low E string. Pluck then change until I get it right.
3.) Then the A by holding the 5th fret of the E, and tuning until they're the same.
4.) I then get bored of this method usually and tune my strings by playing 'Under the Bridge', and tune each string until they're right...

Bit of an unusual method, but I find it fun. lol

this didn't helo ¬_¬
listen to the vibrations.

let them meet at the right pitch.

use harmonics, or w/e u want to tune.
Make sure ur guitar is intonated or tuning doesn't work everywhere on the fingerboard!

have them stay a while....oh crap, outta tune...

Then repeat.

thats all there is to it.
if you have a tuner,
try this...
sing a note by singing "e"

make it so it matches up with e on the tuner
if you practice this, eventually it'll be memorized like any other song so you'll be able to know when it's the e note, then tune everything else based off that
The easiest way is to make sure your E is tuned, and then hold it at the 5th fret. This note will be an open A. Then do the same on the A string, after you tune it. Make sure to hold it on the 4th fret on G because the relationship between the G and B string is different then all the other strings. Another way thats easy to tune if it's just one string that sounds like **** then play a power chord and tune that string until it sounds right again. Thats also a good way to drop tune.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
Um hey, I'm kind of a newbie too, but for what it's worth...I believe that the basic principle behind tuning two strings to each other is to listen for acoustic "beats." When tuning by the "fifth fret" method, listening for and eliminating beats is what you're supposed to do.

Suppose that when two notes should be in unison (the same, as when you sound the 5th string and the 6th string, fifth fret together), they are in fact slightly out of tune. When sounded, acoustic "beats" will result. These beats are not the same as rhythmic "beats." They sound like "wah wah wah wah wah wah." They are caused by the sound waves interfering with each other. The more out of tune the strings, the faster the beats, and the closer in tune, the slower the beats. To tune the strings, the pegs must be twisted until the beats eliminated. When in tune, the strings should sound pure and smooth together and not "wobbly" or "thick" with beats.

I was not really able to sense beats well enough to tune the guitar until I had played for a while. I still have trouble now and then. Hope that helps at all. :p
tuning by ear.
its not very easy to the get the exact notes but you can get all of the strings in tune with eachother(decent if you're practicing, bad if you're playing with a band). its good to use a real tuner though every once in a while.
my favorite way of tuning by ear is to use harmonics. mainly because i use pretty heavy distortion. i listen for the waves in the conflicting notes when using harmonics. you also have to check that the intonation is right on the guitar when tuning by ear whether using harmonic or checking by hitting matching notes.

i find harmonics to be the most accrurate for me because my guitar has decent intonation and its very obvious listening to the waves that when the frequency of waves speeds up, your pitches are farther off and when they are getting slower or the waves completely stop you are pretty close or completely in tune.

sabine mt9000 ftw though. =)
i think it just takes time. u gotta train your perception of sound. the c major scale has no sharps or flats all basic notes C D E F G A B C. i say the notes as i play them. learning songs by ear will help too. i know its not what u asked how to do. but all this and what everyone else said would help train your ear. learn a bunch of easy theme songs lol