Are you a musician as a hobby or are you pursuing great things with music?

Poll: Hobbyist or Pursuing life in music
Poll Options
View poll results: Hobbyist or Pursuing life in music
Hobbyist
27 40%
Pursuing life in music
40 60%
Voters: 67.
So everyone out there, are you a musician just for fun or do you really want it to be your life? I'm still pretty young so I hope theres a future in it for me but what about you?
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Poll!

I wish for the best but expect the worst.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Going to college specifically for music.

I don't care what I do, how much I get payed, as long as it means I use music to make my living, I'm happy.

Probably not a rock star, I hope to be a teacher. Seems so awesome from every teacher I met so far (about 15-20).
Quote by Dog--
Going to college specifically for music.

I don't care what I do, how much I get payed, as long as it means I use music to make my living, I'm happy.

Probably not a rock star, I hope to be a teacher. Seems so awesome from every teacher I met so far (about 15-20).

this
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
being that i am better at writing than music, my long term goal is to be an author. I'll just do music for fun, as not many make it 'big'...

right now, i've got a job at McDonald's and an apprenticeship in architecture beginning next year .

and no i'm not gay...........
People in grades 9 - 11 will say pursuing life in music,

12 and up will say hobby

F*ck you life!

my career will have something to do with music probably.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
It started out 6 years ago as just fun, but the last year, it's what I did in school, what i'm doing in college, what I hope to do in uni, only thing im good at, only thing i want a career in

MUSIC **** THE WORLD!!
I refuse to partake in a career not slightly music related. I probably won't have a choice, but I'd like to believe I'll be that definitive later in life.

I don't plan to be a rock star, but maybe even a music theory teacher...
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Well my band is in the process of making a 5 song EP. Whatever happens, happens.
its more of a hobby for me. i just dont think i could make it as a musician.
"The Mad Scientist"

Quote by Fuzzbox91
for someone with a madness avatar (ok ill admit mdness interactive was cool for its time), youre seem to have the right idea.

"Reaching for, the gun, to load and persuade you, to stay..."
Ah I would love to be a musician in a big band.

but I can do whatever I feel like with my grades/test scores

and its really hard to give up something like that for something that even if I'm successful will probably not pay out well.
there was just a thread on this.

i think its on page 2 or 3, someone bump the other one
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Life.
Not yet, but I really want to.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
i would be happy as hell just to play ay local bars, festivals, etc to a crowd that is somewhat familar with my music and can truly appriciate the music as much as i do.
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
wasn't there just a thread about this?
Quote by Trowzaa
I immediately clenched my butthole after reading that...
Quote by Clownocaster#1
being that i am better at writing than music, my long term goal is to be an author. I'll just do music for fun, as not many make it 'big'...

right now, i've got a job at McDonald's and an apprenticeship in architecture beginning next year .

and no i'm not gay........

well of course not, you'd be gay if it was interior design
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
Hobby, but taking music theory classes, just so I have something to fall back on in case I end up hating engineering.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I don't want it to be my life, IT IS my life. My life is completely oriented around my music. What I do at 2 AM - no, not fap, I write music lol - dictates everything.
We're only strays.
Quote by vartanspartan
wasn't there just a thread about this?

There's a thread about this every couple days, so yes.
at this point, hobbyist. up until almost 4yrs ago I was going to teach music, but now I'm back in my degree field (communications working in TV) and I'm happy with that, so music from this point on will be a hobby.
I'm planning on music as a career. Going to college for theory, comp, and possibly classical guitar, despite the lack of faith from my mother (it's quite likely she'll somewhat "disown" me - until she see's I can make a decent living with it, then in that case it will be great and she'll tell everyone how much she encouraged me it's really funny cause most of you probably think I'm joking)
I got dreams, but dreams don't pay the bills. Unless I get lucky, it's gonna be a hobby.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Music will be a big part of my life.

I've decided thus:

Option A: Play in a band exclusively and tour a bunch.
Option B: Go to school to be a record producer. Play in a band on the side and tour a bunch.
Option C: Go to school to be a film editor. Play in a band on the side and tour a bunch.

And I'm in grade 12, so screw you Shredder6! :p