I have heard many disagreements on this subject and would like to know
Gear
Guitar - Schecter C-1 Classic
Amp - Crate FXT65
Pedals - Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Digitech RP350

On Backup
Guitar - Baja Mini Strat
Amp - Baja 10W
They can add sustain, so I suppose so. There's no replacement for good technique though. Also, I've found that I can't tap very well on 11s, though I do just fine on 9s or 10s. Don't really know if that's important, just thought I'd share.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I have no problem with sustain without one? Its all in the fingers.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
+1 on all the posts so far. it wouldn't hurt, but if you can't tap without one, you probably need to look at your technique as a first port of call...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
maybe make the extraneous noise quieter...

In my experience, it does excactly the opposite, making everything in your signal more level consequently noise will become more evident as well, but will give you more sustain, and leveled volume
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
yeah, good point. i don't have that much experience with compressors, and maybe the boutique ones are better, but my boss one added an absolute ton of extra noise.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wont help if your not good at it, but just like everything else itll even it out and make it sound more professional....even van halen said in an interview that his wireless guitar unit had a built in compressor
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Well i cant get a good tapping sound from my pod xt live...my technique is not the best since i havent worked on tapping since i started guitar but i know how to tap and even when doing slowly the sound doesnt come as loud as it should be and im quite sure its not because of technique cos at some amp models its fine at some its bad:/
There is no right answer for this question really.

On the one hand, when you hear guys like Steve Vai, Satriani, Van Halen doing tapping it's a safe bet to say that their amps are loud enough and their gain is high enough that there is a good degree of natural compression going on. So if you are playing a low-mid gain amp at quiet volumes, or you just don't want to have to crank your gain to ungodly levels to compensate for the lack of volume, then using a compression pedal isn't a bad idea. The guitar you play also factors into this too. A guitar with less sustain, or any kind of trem system on it is going to be somewhat harder to tap on than say a guitar with a fixed bridge and tons of sustain.

On the other hand, it's very easy to use compression to compensate for bad technique. Not only that but too much compression and you're losing the attack and note separation, leaving you with kind of a blob of senseless noise.

I play a fairly low gain stuff and I generally use the tiniest bit of compression on the rare occasion I tap. Just enough to give it that extra volume and sustain, but not enough to completely squash the dynamic. I much prefer that method to turning up the gain.
It doesn't make tapping better, just more even in terms of volume levels.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com