Okay, so I can tap pretty well. I have one big issue, though.

How do you guys get it so that you don't hit other strings while trying to tap one? Every time I try to play something like Eruption, I end up just clipping my G string which totally screws it up. Do you guys have any tips?
practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
Quote by metalisbest

+1
it seems to mee you need alot of practice if that is happening to you.
still, keep at it. the magic will come eventually
cheers!
Quote by metalisbest

This

Its not even that hard to play TBH
I put a shoulder on the lower strings to dampen the noise but if your good at tapping you shouldn't have this problem unless you have huge fingers like i do.
Try cheating and using the flat end of the pick to tap if you think that'll help at all. =P But really practicing can only make you better at that stuff.
Hold the neck with your thumb and all you other fingers, that helped me alot
Quote by pebbles123
+1
it seems to mee you need alot of practice if that is happening to you.
still, keep at it. the magic will come eventually
cheers!

I guess I just need to take a week or two and just practice a bunch. I've got two weeks of ahead of me, so I'll just practice.

Another issue I sometimes have is hearing the string. What kind of adjustments should I make to fix that?
Quote by Dopesmoker666
Another issue I sometimes have is hearing the string. What kind of adjustments should I make to fix that?

More gain and distortion always help that.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Quote by dethead666
oh maybe stop smoking weed could screw up your hand eye coordination kthxbye

Matt Pike, Al Cisneros, and Chris Hakius are the stoners, not me.
Quote by dethead666
oh your username screwed me up.

Haha. Well, it's the name of an awesome song and album. I listen to stoner metal, but I'm not a stoner, strangely enough.

Anyway, I really need a new amp, I guess.
Quote by dethead666
oh cool yeah what amp are you using?

I have a Digitech RP250 run through a Line 6 Spider II. I was without a proper amp setup and was able to get it for free, so I took it. However, now I want a better metal setup. I just don't quite have the money to spend on one at the moment.
I'm going to be a ass and go ahead and say that all your going to get with line 6 is mud. If you want a metal amp go with vox.
Quote by Dopesmoker666
I have a Digitech RP250 run through a Line 6 Spider II. I was without a proper amp setup and was able to get it for free, so I took it. However, now I want a better metal setup. I just don't quite have the money to spend on one at the moment.

Digitech RP250 FTW, i use one, i tend to use built in setting 19 on it for tapping, i find it works well for that part of Eruption
Quote by dethead666
I'm going to be a ass and go ahead and say that all your going to get with line 6 is mud. If you want a metal amp go with vox.

I don't like it. However, it's loud and functional. I really really really want something that's actually worth playing, but I don't know when that's going to be possible.
Quote by SteamMaster
Digitech RP250 FTW, i use one, i tend to use built in setting 19 on it for tapping, i find it works well for that part of Eruption

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I use the MTLHEAD setting for most of my stuff and for Eruption I'll just throw a phaser on there. I've been pretty satisfied with the RP250. My only complaint is that on the whammy setting you have to jam something in between the pedal and the base of the thing (whatever you want to call it) to easily change octaves and not switch to the wah-wah setting. I wish they had thought that out a little better.
i rarely use the whammy setting, although it is fun when used in conjunction with tapping and the likes, my only problem is ive had mine for about 2 years and the down selector pedal has stopped responding, so, if i wanna go down one effect, i have to go up 119 effects

im gonna save up my money and buy an RP500 when its replacing time
Quote by Dopesmoker666
Okay, so I can tap pretty well.

and then

Quote by Dopesmoker666
Every time I try to play something like Eruption, I end up just clipping my G string which totally screws it up. Do you guys have any tips?

well, just practice SLOWLY... i wonder how many times it has been said in here,
trying to top on the one string with you right hand shouldnt be hard, i have the problem of slightly sounding them a little so i just mute the one above and below with my index finger. (like i kinda bar the three strings but only the middle string sounds, sorry if this makes no sense)
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
to bring the topic back... I'm learning Seqouia Throne by PTH right now, and I'm having problems with the other strings ringing and making it sound noisy. what is the best way to mute them?
one thing to say about tapping, yes Eruption has good tapping, but, for the best tapping solo EVAR, you want POWER RANGERS
Practice.

I myself have my right hand a bit over the strings higher than the one I'm tapping on (i.e. tapping on the B- string, I place my right hand at an angle over the G, D, A, and low E strings).
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
my right hand is basically hugging the strings when i tap.. except for the one being tapped of course. =P works for me. also, you could move your left index finger up a little so it nudges the G and deadens it, if you're on the B string.