So basically I suck at it, and was wondering what exercises would help improve my speed/accuracy (part of my problem is that i cant keep picking at speed, I build up a loot of tension in my arm and it turns into sparatic spasms of picking. its weird). Im not looking for the ability to shred, it just seems like a useful skill. I only say this so you guys know I'm not trying to do this super incredibly fast, just moderatly fast, but well done. if that makes any sense. I feel like I'm rambling....
Thanks guys
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

You know that "tremolo picking" part from the Master of Puppets solo? I just kept doing that over and over again and I eventually got it. Just choose a pattern and keep trying it!
Metronome, slow to fast yata yata.

Use John petrucci rock disipline idea about learning a like in different rhythms it helps trust me.

learn to pick by moving your thumb and finger instead of wrist/arm action

if all else fails
i think we all know how to get a better wrist.
whats the rock disipline idea?

oh, and *holds up flame shield*....*braces self*....I dont like metal. so I dont know master of puppets solo, I dont think I've ever heard the song...I'm pretty sure thats a sin here....

Am I going to be stoned to death?

Quote by bogg808

I had the same problem with tension because I developed tennis elbow and carpal tunnel from a high school job.

I would say to just play scales or basic melody riffs over and over. After you play each riff/scale increase the speed a little bit until you are going at the speed you want. However, if you start feeling the tension building in your arm you should stop and start all over.

That's the best advice I have for ya.
okay to be honest if you dont like metal why are you needing it because the only people that do trem picking properly are metal guitarists
Quote by samburl
use more arm and less wrist when you pick

NO thats actually going to make him tense up in the arm more
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6490975382658539247&hl=es

rock discipline.

and try to use your wrist dude.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by mcraddict81592
whats the rock disipline idea?

oh, and *holds up flame shield*....*braces self*....I dont like metal. so I dont know master of puppets solo, I dont think I've ever heard the song...I'm pretty sure thats a sin here....

Am I going to be stoned to death?

lol no, you're good. MoP is about as heavy as I go anyway

Chances are on UG you

A: Worship Metallica
B: Hate Metallica, Megadeth is better
C: Hate Metallica, Tech Death rules
D: Are part of the 5% of normal people on UG

Anyway, try using your wrist more than your whole arm. Choose a pattern of notes to tremolo pick and just keep practicing it.

for example:
e|-19-17-15-14-17-15-14-12-

(thats part of the solo thing I mentioned earlier )

Work it up to any speed that sounds good to you and you're golden.
Quote by Mullen2105
okay to be honest if you dont like metal why are you needing it because the only people that do trem picking properly are metal guitarists

I dont like metal, but I like some bands with metal influences, and I like the sound of tremello picking, and I think it can sound cool in songs, so why not draw a technique from metal and put it into a punk/alternative/pop punk/general rock/"emo" song?
Spark notes version = I like mixing genres.
And aquiring different skills never hurts

Quote by bogg808

Practice the tremelo picking part in Eruption by Van Halen, there more rock and roll, so it wont be a sin. :P
Quote by Mullen2105

Dick Dale?
Quote by Dopesmoker666
Dick Dale?

+1

but yeah, you dont have to play metal to want to learn trem picking, its a handy skill, and yes, that bit in Eruption by EVH is -very- helpful, its what i used, and you will also find great guitarists putting it into their stage solos, Zakk Wylde did it once, and ive seen others
One more thing, I'm having trouble switching strings, my "flow" sorta stops. What am I doing wrong?

Quote by bogg808

i used to have that problem, still do at times, i dont think your doing anything wrong, you just need to keep going at it until you get it, go slowly at first, and then, build up your speed, i think thats what your gonna get told for most techniques but it really is the best way
when i tremelo pick, i just rest my palm on the strings im not picking and just (it is taking me a long time to figure out what i should say here) pick the ****ing string. its not that hard. its all in the wrist.
Quote by Minion2580
when i tremelo pick, i just rest my palm on the strings im not picking and just (it is taking me a long time to figure out what i should say here) pick the ****ing string. its not that hard.

Thanks for all your constructive input....

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
One more thing, I'm having trouble switching strings, my "flow" sorta stops. What am I doing wrong?

You don't usually switch strings when tremolo picking, it tends to be all along one string.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think the guy means really fast alternate picking with some string skiping if you get me???
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
"You don't usually switch strings when tremolo picking, it tends to be all along one string."

You often do in death metal where you are tremolo picking an entire riff.
It can be tricky to change strings, certainly easier on one string.
Check out Nile or Cannibal Corpse to see tremolo picking across strings.
There is a Nile web tutorial out there somewhere.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Check out this vid for trem picking the entire riff on different strings.
Watch the guy on the right - he does it solo towards the end too.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3HuMvbn37gs
The only tip I can give is to make sure you switch strings on the correct stroke but I can't think how to do it as it's second nature to me now.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Mullen2105

learn to pick by moving your thumb and finger instead of wrist/arm action

isnt that not what to do?
i use my arm but when i play standing i use my wrist
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich