Hello all!

After christmas, i want to first off buy myself a new guitar, and then start saving to mod my Fender American P Bass. I have a few questions about this, and i promise i'll post pictures when the proccess starts.

Well, right now, it's the everyday modern setup. But i want to change it... Drastically.
I want to change out the pickup for something with a more resonate deep growl, and i want to add one, or more pickups. Like maybe a humbucker in the neck, and a Jazz Bass style single at the bridge, and maybe a coil tap for that humbucker. I also want more sustain, so maybe replace the saddles? Or the whole bridge? I was thinking that maybe a graphite nut would add sustain as well. Obviously, with new electronics i would need more controlls. Volume knobs, tone knobs, a puck/pull for the coil tap, and i guess a pickup switch.

Last but not least are my cosmetic wants. I want to refinish it, put a bridge cover on it, and maybe replace the pickguard depending on what color i get it.
Color ideas are black cherry red with a white pickguard, flat black with a white pickguard, slightly offwhite with a brown tortoise shell pickguard, or a sunburst with either a black or white pickguard.

Now, this is technically my dad's bass, so i would need to do this with his consent, and obviously i wouldnt be allowed to do it myself. So i need to know about how much parts and labour would be, and what parts are would be good.

I generally play rock, hard rock, blues, jazz, metal, and many subgenres of them all. I don't quite know what my budget is, but i'd shoot for maybe $500-$650 USD.

My amp is a Fender Bassman25, and i may replace it sometime near next christmas.

So, blaze opinions, advice, and generally good input to me, please.

P O E~~
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Getting a professional to refinish your bass would probably be all you could afford if you did it. The rates they charge are rediculous.
Well damn...

So maybe scratch the refinish, or ask for that for my christmas present?

How much would it be for the mods?
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Quote by p o e
Hello all!

After christmas, i want to first off buy myself a new guitar, and then start saving to mod my Fender American P Bass. I have a few questions about this, and i promise i'll post pictures when the proccess starts.

Well, right now, it's the everyday modern setup. But i want to change it... Drastically.
I want to change out the pickup for something with a more resonate deep growl, and i want to add one, or more pickups. Like maybe a humbucker in the neck, and a Jazz Bass style single at the bridge, and maybe a coil tap for that humbucker. I also want more sustain, so maybe replace the saddles? Or the whole bridge? I was thinking that maybe a graphite nut would add sustain as well. Obviously, with new electronics i would need more controlls. Volume knobs, tone knobs, a puck/pull for the coil tap, and i guess a pickup switch.

Last but not least are my cosmetic wants. I want to refinish it, put a bridge cover on it, and maybe replace the pickguard depending on what color i get it.
Color ideas are black cherry red with a white pickguard, flat black with a white pickguard, slightly offwhite with a brown tortoise shell pickguard, or a sunburst with either a black or white pickguard.

Now, this is technically my dad's bass, so i would need to do this with his consent, and obviously i wouldnt be allowed to do it myself. So i need to know about how much parts and labour would be, and what parts are would be good.

I generally play rock, hard rock, blues, jazz, metal, and many subgenres of them all. I don't quite know what my budget is, but i'd shoot for maybe $500-$650 USD.

My amp is a Fender Bassman25, and i may replace it sometime near next christmas.

So, blaze opinions, advice, and generally good input to me, please.

P O E~~

Bridge : BadAss 2 or 3 (depending if it's string through or not)

Leo Quan website

This is the standard when it comes to upgrading a Fender bass. Fits perfectly on without any drilling.

Pick ups? I personaly like Nordstrands. I know they're expensive but I really like them.

Nordstrand

There is also Wizard pickups

Wizard

And finally, the Fender Cobalt noiseless pickups

Fender pups

Bridge covers are all over Ebay and arent too expensive.

On the topic of pickups, keep the P p-up. If you need a little more nasal tone, add the J at the bridge. But when you remove a P pick up, you WILL want it back later. A p and a J (Like the Fender P bass Specials) are versatile enough. A MM style humbucker is either a love or hate thing. Some people swear by them, others rip their hair out hearing them. Try one out before you buy.

PS - Two things, these are all my opinions, there are many great pickups out there. And my second thing, be extra careful modding an American Fender.
I like the look of the Badass Bass II bridge, and those Nordstrand pickups look nice as well.

What material should i use for a nut? I want it to sustain longer.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
Wait so your saying you spent over One-thousand Dollars and a "Bad-Ass" (haha the irony) anyway a badass Bass and now you want to customize it?

Sorry bout that^

Anyway but if your serious about this I would look into those Bad-Ass Bridges and I personally like Mighty Mite and GFS pickups. Cheap, Affordable, and everything you want in a bass pickup.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/
GFS^^

Actually you could get everything you want at both these stores.

http://www.mightymite.com/
Mighty Mite^^

Also if this is your first time customizing, I suggest you check out Warmoth and Stewmac.

http://www.stewmac.com/

http://www.warmoth.com/

Have fun!

Oh and seriously is this the American P-Bass I'm thinking of or is this some old knock-off American one?

No seriously have fuN!
Its a 2002 American P Bass, and i didnt buy it, my dad did. He got it in this godawful finish. Besides, i'm just after my own sound.

In other news, I've looked at Stewmac, Warmoth as well, I just need suggestions for parts.
Quote by Code-E

Quote by magnum1117

Quote by necrosis1193
i'm not much of a bassist, but check out q-tuners pickups, they have amazing sustain, you could like, pluck the e string, and come back 3 hours later and it'd still be ringing (not literally, but you get the idea )

humbucker

http://www.q-tuner.com/bl4.shtml

single

http://www.q-tuner.com/bs.shtml

like i said, i'm not all that familiar with bass, they don't make a p-bass split-coil type, but they have the HB and j-bass single you want to put in, i plan on putting one of these in a guitar build pretty soon, listen to the demos too

http://www.q-tuner.com/download.shtml

they sound really nice
My Gear:

Ibanez GRG170DX
Crate GFX-1200H
Line 6 4x12 Cab with Celestion 60's
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff With Top Boost
BOSS Metal Zone